Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #51
Jenos Idanian
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
There's no doubt in my mind that a good score can really make or break a film. I'll admit I probably would have liked the film better if it had been supported by a really good thematic score that would have elevated it above Ed Wood material. I listened to Close Encounters today and was reminded of what the once great Johnny Williams was capable of back in the day and it is the synthesis of score and visuals that enhance the full impact of the film and becomes an integral component of its characterizations. This score is about as flat as a two-month old open bottle of soda.

I agree with you Agent Spalko. But as I've stated on another thread I don't think it's Williams fault. I think he hit it on the head. Bland music for a bland film. He just wasn't inspired by anything he saw.
Jenos Idanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #52
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenos Idanian
I agree with you Agent Spalko. But as I've stated on another thread I don't think it's Williams fault. I think he hit it on the head. Bland music for a bland film. He just wasn't inspired by anything he saw.

I'll buy that.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #53
crowmagnumman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenos Idanian

Ditto. I can forgive him this. Williams is still better than this.
crowmagnumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #54
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

For me the score was as disappointing as the film.
I never, ever thought I would not buy a John Williams soundtrack - but I don't care if I ever hear this soundtrack again. He phoned it in alright - long distance.
FILMKRUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #55
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
I’m hoping this will be addressed for the DVD release…

You mean they are actually going to release the film on dvd
Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #56
IndyFan89
IndyFan

Question Tracks In Order

Can anyone put the Track list in order? And why is the escape from the whare house music missing, i thought it was the coolest part of the score and the movie but it isn't on the OST.
IndyFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #57
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
The score had its moments (such as at the beginning of the film when the content of the box is revealed ... very 50's sci-fi ... or at the shot of the mushroom cloud ... and 'The Departure') but I agree that it borrowed too much from the other films and lacked its own identity.

I never thought I'd ever say this about a John Williams score but I think the music actually hurt the film in a couple of places, especially during the jungle chase. The famous fanfare at the very start of the chase (just after Spalko shouts 'JONES!') seemed somewhat shoehorned in as it did when Indy is punching it out with the Russians in their jeep (just after the line 'Hi, Mac!'). Also, the music that accompanies the sword fight between Mutt and Spalko is far too jovial for my liking and immediately reminded me of 'Hook' when I first saw the movie! A more serious tone to the music during this fight would have given it needed tension and gravitas.

Then again, I'm not a multi Oscar-winning composer so what the hell do I know!?
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #58
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsands77
I don't really see how they can have that distinction and RAIDERS and TEMPLE couldn't. CRUSADE and KINGDOM have more subdued scores, with greater subtlety, but that, in and of itself, doesn't mean they're any more successful as works of classical music. But to be honest, nothing Williams has ever done stands as truly great classical music.

As pieces of music one could listen to in isolation, ROTLA and TOD rely too much on the main themes and basic action cues segueing between the tracks. Last Crusade (IMHO) contains more light and shade, is more standalone (i.e. it does not need The Raiders March to hang off), and is musically a little more mature e.g. Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #59
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
I’m hoping this will be addressed for the DVD release…
Hey Darth, I FEAR it will be addressed like on the Original Star Wars Trilogy DVDs... ...just joking...
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #60
sarah navarro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmagnumman
Ditto. I can forgive him this. Williams is still better than this.

I think the score is good,i think its just as good as any of the others,the only songs that i really enjoy listening to are, Map room,Ark theme,and the Grail theme....well of course the Raiders march but anyways these to me are just as good as the Call of the Crystal skull and Irinas theme the rest just seem like movie music.If you listen to the other soundtracks all the way through theyre equal to this one,some peices are boring and bland in every one of the scores.I think its just another Indy score,great but not amazing.Im a big John Williams fan and ive listened to the new score at least 15 times through already personally think all the scores are nice but i definitly dont think this one is the weakest of the 4.
sarah navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #61
TennesseeKorben
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
Then again, I'm not a multi Oscar-winning composer so what the hell do I know!?

Very well said, LOL! I did not love or even really like the score when I first heard it. However, after seeing the movie a few times and listening to the soundtrack more I think it fits in nicely with the rest of the series!
TennesseeKorben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #62
sarah navarro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKorben
Very well said, LOL! I did not love or even really like the score when I first heard it. However, after seeing the movie a few times and listening to the soundtrack more I think it fits in nicely with the rest of the series!
EXACTLY!
sarah navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #63
Iandiana
IndyFan

I love the new flourish on the end of the finale.
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #64
Legendary Times
IndyFan

LC's my least favorite soundtrack of the 4.

So, once again, this is all a matter of personal opinion and taste.
Legendary Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #65
Shortie
IndyFan

When was the Imperial March used?
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #66
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
When was the Imperial March used?

I believe its from Empire Strikes Back.

And I know you guys aint insulting John "Jurassic Park, E.T., Hook, Saving Private Ryan, Schilinder's List, Close Encounters, Star Wars, INDIANA JONES" Williams. Dude is the ****ing man.
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #67
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

My problem with the score is how it's placed in the movie. I think the Mutt/Spalko scene in the movie could have been much better had Mutt's theme not been playing during it. I think the action scenes in the movie should have menacing music and that wasn't a part of the jungle chase scenes in this one. I remember the excitement that came along with the truck chase in Raiders and the tank scene in LC because the music had more of a darker tone to it. The music during the action scenes in the new movie seemed light and didn't give that air of danger that the scenes needed.

I think the new soundtrack is good musically but it just didn't fit right with the scenes it was placed in.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #68
Agent Z
IndyFan

Regarding the film itself, I only recall "Irina's Theme" (when Spalko first appears), the ark theme (when the warehouse doors open), and the "Ants!" theme (when Indy is down on the ground, looking at the log and the music tempo picks up as we see the stream of ants right next to him) as the only sections that really caught my ear.

Last edited by Agent Z : 05-28-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #69
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z
Regarding the film itself, I only recall "Irina's Theme" (when Spalko first appears), the ark theme (when the warehouse doors open), and the "Ants!" theme (when Indy is down on the ground, looking at the log and the music tempo picks up as we see the stream of ants right next to him) as the only sections that really caught my ear.

This is because you haven't had the time to allow this score to grow on you the way the other three have.

In a year or two, you may well love the score as much as the previous three. You may not, of course, if it is truly not as good, but the point I'm making is its too early to tell yet.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #70
Salacious
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
My current impression of the score is... it's pretty weak.

I think I got more out of the film even with it's faults then I did out of the score. A really awesome Russian theme would have been nice... the sci-fi touch should have been more obvious and catchy... there just should've been a stronger thematic touch that wasn't there.

... I really was most disappointed by this I think. I expected even if the movie was awful that the score would be awesome. But it's definitely not anywhere CLOSE to anything in the last IJ movies. There is no denying that. Right now I can remember the playful music of the original trilogy and it was just missing.
That might have helped this movie TONS!!! TONSSSSS! I tell you. READ MY SENTENCES I TYPE!! TONS!! TONS I TELL YA!!!

If there right music had been there the movie would have had a more "magical" feel to it. Just thinking about it I realize how important Williams score was to the original movies or even the Star Wars movies.

I don't even remember Mutt having a theme. I'm sure he did, but in the movie I don't remember what it was so it must not have been too memorable.

Such lost potential Mr. Williams. What were you doing?

Very very true. I agree 100%. The one thing I was looking forward to almost as much as the movie was the score...and its not that great at all. Very average. Sad to see. I have my issues along with everyone else about the SW Prequel trilogy, but one thing that was marvelous was the scores for each film. At least each film provided not one, but a few memorable themes and action tracks. In EpIII, some of it was recycled a bit, but there still was enough new material that was awesome and very very memorable. I still think Williams has something left in him. He works very closely with Spielberg when developing the scores...so not sure what went wrong here.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #71
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
This is because you haven't had the time to allow this score to grow on you the way the other three have.

In a year or two, you may well love the score as much as the previous three. You may not, of course, if it is truly not as good, but the point I'm making is its too early to tell yet.

I disagree. Every Indy film I have seen, I have loved from the first screening including the music. The exception being KOTCS - don't like the film and don't like the score. I think it's Williams worst score which I'm shocked to say.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #72
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Salacious,

To answer your question... Nothing went wrong. It's a shame you don't like it but I don't believe that there is any empirical evidence to suggest something "went wrong" with the score...

FILMKRUSC,

As much as I enjoy the music from all the Indiana Jones movies, I find it hard to believe that anyone would like the score to TOD and dislike the score for KOTCS. I can understand a preference for one over the other, but to not like the score for KOTCS (which is much maturer/richer than TOD IMHO) seems...
: (
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #73
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

I recently bought the soundtrack and gave it a good listening through. In the film, I think the soundtrack was weakened somewhat because of the recurring iconic themes. The familiar jumps out at a person and since these themes were SO familiar to the lot of us here, the new pieces which, too, were excellent just blended in ... disappeared.

Then you realize when listening critically that there is some new material that is good, and is soon standing out like someone in a marketplace calling out for someone speaking ancient greek.
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #74
BlackSleep
IndyFan

Of the four Indy films, this is the only score that didn't immediately burn a unique and interesting theme into my brain that I could associate with this film only. However, I do love the "Call of the Crystal," "Irina's Theme," and "The Spell of the Skull." I bought the score, and love it. However, it's not John Williams' most inventive work.

For some reason, the "Call of the Crystal" reminds me of some of the music from the old Star Trek tv show from the 60's.
BlackSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #75
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSleep

For some reason, the "Call of the Crystal" reminds me of some of the music from the old Star Trek tv show from the 60's.

I think that is by design as opposed to chance... Parts of the score evoke both the horror/sci fi movies of the 50's and the early James Bond movies...