TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
theneogon
IndyFan

Small things that would have made the movie better

This thread is where you can share those little changes that you wish you could make to the movie.

I'll start by listing two of my own:

1. They should have called Akator by its more common name El Dorado. This would have demphasized the alienness of the entire city. People are familiar with the story of El Dorado.

2. The natives should bow before the crystal skull, not back away fearfully from it. This would have emphasized the idea that the extra dimensional beings played the role as the native's gods.
theneogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
James
IndyFan

The only change I would make would be the way Akator was represented onscreen. I would've liked a few more shots of the valley outside the pyramid, and a few more scenes of Indy and the gang exploring the interior. Just a single matte shot of them walking down a vast corridor would've sufficed.

The novelization goes into greater detail during this part, and makes it clear that the pyramid is large subterranean complex. But in the film, it appears to just be three or four small chambers.

This would've added to the film's scope, and emphasized that Indy had made one of his largest archaeological finds ever.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
EddyW
IndyFan

There was a similar thread called "how to improve KOTCS" but I can't seem to find it anymore, was the thread removed?
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
theneogon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyW
There was a similar thread called "how to improve KOTCS" but I can't seem to find it anymore, was the thread removed?

I'm sorry if there is another thread about this. But if its gone than lets keep this one. I want to focus on small changes to movie, not huge changes in the plot or theme.
theneogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
jonesissparrow
IndyFan

I wish Marion wasn't as goofy as Sean Connery.
jonesissparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Lady in Red
IndyFan

Maybe add a little bit more interaction between Indy and Marion. It'd make the end seem a bit more plausible.
Lady in Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady in Red
Maybe add a little bit more interaction between Indy and Marion. It'd make the end seem a bit more plausible.

By today's standards, but not 1957's. Many 50s B movies ended with the hero and heroine tying the knot- despite having just met over the course of the film's story.

In the case of Indy and Marion, we already know the two have had a long history together. It's at least the fourth time their paths have crossed: They had a backstory and adventure in ROTLA, and in KOTCS, we learn that they nearly wed in 1938.

Of course, this is not to say that I wouldn't have enjoyed more scenes between the two.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
ValenciaGrail
IndyFan

Let's see Sallah at the wedding, and possibly Short Round or even Willie.

Yes - it would have been corny and campy, but IMO it would have had a sort of Star Wars campiness about it...meaning it would not have felt out of place. The wedding itself was a bit corny, so why not just go the whole nine yards and add a bit of an "IJ, This is your life" angle?

Sallah, in addition to being the most interesting character in the franchise this side of Indy, was clearly a very close and loyal friend of Indy's, so it would have made sense for him to be there. Plus, some closure to the "Where are they now" questions about SR and Willie would have been nice IMO.
ValenciaGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

I don't think the problem with this film is what was left out, but more with what was kept in. I wouldn't add anything, I'd take away a lot of elements however.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
phildominator
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaGrail
Let's see Sallah at the wedding, and possibly Short Round or even Willie.

Plus, some closure to the "Where are they now" questions about SR and Willie would have been nice IMO.

haha...I get your jist and I'm just teasin' here, but having an ex-flame at your wedding isn't a great way to start a marriage off...
phildominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
ValenciaGrail
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildominator
haha...I get your jist and I'm just teasin' here, but having an ex-flame at your wedding isn't a great way to start a marriage off...

Yeah, there is that awkwardness angle, but a lot of years have passed, and both Indy and presumably Willie have moved on with their lives.

My own wedding actually had at least one "old flame" on the guest list, and it wasn't a big issue.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Way of the dodo
IndyFan

A gunfight! Instead of that waterfall cartoon, they should have had to fight their way down to the entrance.
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

A change that I would make would be Indy's naked decontamination scene longer. With the camera zooming in on Indy's chest and muscles! Lol!
Indy_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildominator

I wouldn't go so far as to call Willie an "ex flame." Booty call, more like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Chic
A change that I would make would be Indy's naked decontamination scene longer. With the camera zooming in on Indy's chest and muscles! Lol!

AGREED! KotCS needed more man-titties.

Last edited by |ZiR| : 06-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
AGREED! KotCS needed more man-titties.

Haha yeah, EXACTLY!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
Mutt-Jones III
IndyFan

It does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
The novelization goes into greater detail during this part, and makes it clear that the pyramid is large subterranean complex. But in the film, it appears to just be three or four small chambers.

I haven't read all of it yet.
Mutt-Jones III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #17
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

Another change I would like would be for Indy seeing the Ark in the Warehouse. I know he sees it in the novel but it would of been pretty cool for him to see it in the film.

Also, I still like the idea of the Indy's naked decontamination scene to be extended! Lets make a petition for it be on the DVD release. Lol!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #18
Agent Z
IndyFan

Quote:
Also, I still like the idea of the Indy's naked decontamination scene to be extended! Lets make a petition for it be on the DVD release. Lol!

Women! Pffft!
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
ValenciaGrail
IndyFan

Quote:
Another change I would like would be for Indy seeing the Ark in the Warehouse. I know he sees it in the novel but it would of been pretty cool for him to see it in the film.

Let's remember now, the man is 65...perhaps you ladies would appreciate such an extended scene a bit more if filmed using a double...

"It's the mileage AND the years..."
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Way of the dodo
IndyFan

A running gunfight! Better yet, a running gunfight instead of the waterfalls. I just think the last half hour needs some more danger/action.
Way of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
deckard24
IndyFan

• More of Akator!
  • Indy shooting someone ala Raiders, and more gunplay in general! I wanted to see some bad guys get blown away! There was barely any blood, unlike the first 3 films.
  • Some mere mention of Sallah, Shortie, Willie, etc...
  • Piranahs in the river!!
  • Some Soviets making a plunge off that massive cliff, when Indy and Spalko are ramming their vehicles into one another.
  • Indy and Co. on Lhamas or Donkeys making a trek through the jungle. This would've worked for Mutt and Indy's arrival at the Cemetary, instead of the motorcycle which we don't even get to see used again after the big campus chase.
  • More interaction with the Ugha warriors, and I agree seeing them revere the Skull instead of running from it would have worked better!
  • Indy seeing the Ark would have been cool, just a quick reaction of disbelief from him!
  • An explanation for how Indy was reinstated as Associate Dean, and the F.B.I. was off his back at the end of the film.
  • Some more familiar faces at the wedding(Sallah, Shortie, and Willie), not to mention more people! Why was it such a sparse crowd?
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
Benraianajones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
  • More of Akator!
  • Indy shooting someone ala Raiders, and more gunplay in general! I wanted to see some bad guys get blown away! There was barely any blood, unlike the first 3 films.
  • Piranahs in the river!!
  • Indy seeing the Ark would have been cool, just a quick reaction of disbelief from him!
  • Some more familiar faces at the wedding(Sallah, Shortie, and Willie), not to mention more people! Why was it such a sparse crowd?

Just a few of your thoughts I'd like to join in on.

I would have like to have seen a bit more of Akator, the trap with the retracting stairs should have lasted a little longer.I loved the scene, but a bit longer I would have liked! And just some general shots of the place, maybe even a room full of scorpions attacking the group.

Indy using his whip and gun, a bit more would have been nice! We don't see him use the whip after the warehouse - aside from the end!

I'd have liked the jungle chase to have gone thru some water along the way, with pirahnas also!

I do not think we needed a reaction from Indy seeing the Ark, it is somehow nice knowing the last and only time he saw the Ark, was back during the events of Raiders.

As for Sallah, Willie and Shorty, agreed - a mention would have been nice, even at the wedding - It would have been nice to have them there, BUT - think about it...Willie Scott was a show girl who got dragged in to Indy's life, they got thru it together - but they weren't exactly friends, or lovers. They shared some time in life together - and parted ways. Who knows what Sallah is up to - and the same goes for Shorty. Maybe a couple of photos of them would have been nice - but - also, the point of the film is also, that Indy is getting older and alone - things are changing, his dad has died, Marcus has, and people from his past - are not part of his life now. That is why he gets Marion and Mutt in the film - and married.
Benraianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benraianajones
Just a few of your thoughts I'd like to join in on.

I would have like to have seen a bit more of Akator, the trap with the retracting stairs should have lasted a little longer.I loved the scene, but a bit longer I would have liked! And just some general shots of the place, maybe even a room full of scorpions attacking the group.

Indy using his whip and gun, a bit more would have been nice! We don't see him use the whip after the warehouse - aside from the end!

I'd have liked the jungle chase to have gone thru some water along the way, with pirahnas also!

I do not think we needed a reaction from Indy seeing the Ark, it is somehow nice knowing the last and only time he saw the Ark, was back during the events of Raiders.

As for Sallah, Willie and Shorty, agreed - a mention would have been nice, even at the wedding - It would have been nice to have them there, BUT - think about it...Willie Scott was a show girl who got dragged in to Indy's life, they got thru it together - but they weren't exactly friends, or lovers. They shared some time in life together - and parted ways. Who knows what Sallah is up to - and the same goes for Shorty. Maybe a couple of photos of them would have been nice - but - also, the point of the film is also, that Indy is getting older and alone - things are changing, his dad has died, Marcus has, and people from his past - are not part of his life now. That is why he gets Marion and Mutt in the film - and married.
Good points regarding the wedding and Willie!

It's disappointing there's no closure regarding Shorty, Willie, and Sallah, especially since they tied up the Marcus and Henry Sr. loose ends. Shorty is an even bigger loose end in my opinion, that was Indy's first kid for God's sake. The whole scene of Indy coming to from the Black Sleep of Kali, and hugging Shorty, was a very father/son moment in my opinion.

I don't know why I keep spelling Shorty, Shortie!LOL
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
Indy_Chic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z

Women! Pffft!

Hey, it was a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaGrail
Let's remember now, the man is 65...perhaps you ladies would appreciate such an extended scene a bit more if filmed using a double...

"It's the mileage AND the years..."

LOL!! You guys are killing the scene for me now!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
punisher5150
IndyFan

How KOTCS could've been made better?

1) Have Indy a little more battered after the flying fridge scene. Maybe broken ribs or something. Or have the fridge experience a slide down a sand dune with it eventually sliding to a halt, not the abrupt impact/door falls open we got in the movie.

2) Make Oxley Marion's father, Abner Ravenwood. This alone would have given the viewer a compassion for the character and want to see him found, resolving the "Abner's dead" scenario from Raiders with a brief explanation of how he had been missing for 20+ years.

3) Remove Mutt's Tarzan swing/monkey scene. Stupid.

4) Keep Mack's character a Soviet agent, not the triple agent story from the film. The Ruskies could have easily followed the trail of carnage left by Indy/gang to the lost city. They didn't need the tracking devices.

5) Remove Marion's ridiculous drive off the cliff into the tree. Stupid again.

6) Resolve the Indy/Russian traitor plot set up at he beginning a little better than a simple name painting on an office door. Even though this hints that Indy has been absolved of the accusations against him, a short scene with Indy or Dean Stanforth and some gov't agents would have done this much better. And removing the monkey scene would have definitely given them the extra few minutes to add it..

I personally didn't have a problem with the "three times they drop" scene. I am not sure what it is that bothers people about that one.

Anyway, my 6 simple ways of Improving Indy IV. I think this would have made the movie equivalent to the previous two movies. Nothing could elevate it above Raiders, though.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote