In the box IM PC game first impressions

Viper

The other day my mum went to some garage/yard sales with my sister. She called me (I was at lunch) because she found an Indy computer game for 2 dollars, and wanted to know if I had it. I wasn't to excited at first, figuring it was an old, scratchy ET for the PC. It wasn't.

After I asked her what its name was, I was suprised to hear Infernal Machine! I said that I had actually been trying to find it, but to no avail. She said she'd go ahead and buy it, and I couldn't wait to get home.
When I got home and saw it, I nearly crapped my pants. It was new, in the box, the plastic wrapping was undisturbed! I quickly, but carefully, took it out, snapping pictures all the while. After I read the manual, it was a quick download to my laptop.

Here's my "First two levels" review for you guys, if you're thinking about buying it.
-----------------------------------
The first level is easy as pie, took me a little more than 15 minutes I think. Not much to say about it. It's just maneuvering throughout a canyon. The only enemies you run into are two snakes. One about halfway through, the other at the end.

The second level, however, is much harder. It takes place in babylon, and is really long. I saved my game about 50 times on that level. This level has spiders dropping from the ceiling, scorpians, and Soviet soldiers. They get pretty annoying, especially when one has a rifle, and when there are three all together in one place. There is also a lot of thinking involved, as the only hint that it gives you is where to go, not how to get there. That;s all I have for now. This level also took me about an hour to finish.

Summary: It's fun, and the controllers are odd, but easy to change.

BTW, toward the end of the Babylon level, I realised I had the difficulty set to "Dr.Jones", the highest level of difficulty (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate, Dr.Jones.)

Finn

Staff member
IM's graphics are lousy for modern standards (they weren't great even on the day it came out) and its combat system could use a lot of polish, yet it is a greatly athmospheric game. Apart from few exceptions, the level design is downright brilliant (especially the bonus treat) and compared to ET at least its chapters are very lengthy. To me, it's always been the better one of the two because it has more game to it (those fisticuffs should be spice, not something it's built on).

I've never had any qualms about playing it on other difficulty than "freshman", that way I can quickly shrug off its weakest aspect a.k.a combat and truly enjoy the strengths it has to offer.

Viper

Yeah, I hate the combat system on it, but everything's been a lot easier since I got a PC controller today.

Right now I'm about halfway through level 3, I'm having a hard time finding all the candles.

I'm also still trying to get my hands on a FoA game.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Try eBay, last chance would be to PM me and then I do the happy hamster dance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob67

I actually prefer eScumm. I just started playing Fate of Atlantis. I had the original but couldn't get it to run on Vista. This lets me run the game utilizing anti aliasing and a higher resolution. I still love those old games!

No Ticket

As I recall, Infernal Machine was a pretty lousy game... but not so horrible that I didn't play it to the end. Not sure if I ever actually beat it though, I think I only made it to the last level. All I can remember from it is the first canyon level, a cut scene of some Russians in a little building on a PA system or radio or something and a mine cart level.