What kind of watch would Indy wear?

QueZTone

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed... - im an oldie who's been away (albeit sporadically lurking) from the forums.. - so forgive me if it has :)

but what's a good Indiana Jones style watch?

I'm into the Camel Active designs, they're rugged brownish classic yet modern designs... however there are other brands that have a more 1930's feel and design..

your thoughts? :)

camel active
20030423150832.jpg

6186382.jpg

5323_between.jpg

1191lg-big1_188_280.jpg

aeromatic 1912

904_large.jpg

588_large.jpg

edit: ohhh darn it, wrong sub forum, admin please move to indygear? thanks ;)

Last edited:

Kevin

Since we never see him wear a wristwatch, I always figured Indy for a pocketwatch type of guy.

QueZTone

hmmm, i would agree with Henry Sr. but not with Indiana...

but i guess his taste would go for one of the latter models i posted

Kevin

I think a wristwatch would be too easily broken/lost while adventuring, hence its absence in his gear. A pocket watch doesn't necessarily have to have a chain or fob; it could merely be sitting in his trouser pockets or satchel.

However, if he were to wear a wristwatch, given his miltary background, I think he would go for a simple field watch with luminous hands, like the one in the last picture you posted.

mister64

Would Indy set his watch to whatever time zone he was currently in, or would he keep it at a chosen time zone (GMT perhaps?) so he wouldn't have to adjust to the new time zone (ie. jetlag) whilst globetrotting?

WillKill4Food

Why would Indy need a watch? Some Vietnam war veterans spent enough time outside during the war that they claim to be able to tell the time of day by the position of the sun and the moon in the sky. Surely, with his war experience and time outdoors, Indy could do the same.

WillKill4Food said:
Why would Indy need a watch? Some Vietnam war veterans spent enough time outside during the war that they claim to be able to tell the time of day by the position of the sun and the moon in the sky. Surely, with his war experience and time outdoors, Indy could do the same.

Because he's not opposed to technology. Why would he use a shovel? He could dig with his hands, why use a transit? He could survey with rope stretchers, hell that's a tool, he could do it by eye.

Why would he need a watch, for accuracy...

When he asks what time the sun hits the map room, and replies we better hurry, he doesn't look up to the sky...so he MUST have a watch. I bet it has a brown leather strap.