Wii U released today

ROB98374

Anybody else get a Wii U today?
What do you think of it so far?
I bought the 32gb Black Nintendo Wii U
It seems like a pretty good system so far. I like the controller, it has a lot of potential.

ROB98374

I said:
I don't even understand what it is.

It is a home videogame console that connects to your TV.
This is Nintendo's latest console. They released their last console, Wii back in 2006.

ROB98374

JuniorJones said:
Why would they wanna go and do that? :whip:

Because they can.

WiiUDetails.jpg

ROB98374

Lego Indy said:
How is it better than the wii? Except for the graphics.

Did you see the controller?
It will change gameplay the way the first Wii did when they released the system with motion controllers included.

The Drifter

ROB98374 said:
Did you see the controller?
It will change gameplay the way the first Wii did when they released the system with motion controllers included.

More like that it was a gimmick that got stale for many people only after a few years. Plus, I'll wait for the release of the real next-generation of consoles (PS4 and Xbox 720) instead of the Wii 2.0

ROB98374

The Drifter said:
More like that it was a gimmick that got stale for many people only after a few years. Plus, I'll wait for the release of the real next-generation of consoles (PS4 and Xbox 720) instead of the Wii 2.0

If getting off the couch and interacting with a game was a "gimmick that got stale", then why did they come out with the "Move" for the Playstation 3 and "Connect" for the Xbox 360 after they saw how successful the Wii was?

Finn

Staff member
ROB98374 said:
If getting off the couch and interacting with a game was a "gimmick that got stale", then why did they come out with the "Move" for the Playstation 3 and "Connect" for the Xbox 360 after they saw how successful the Wii was?
They're called gaming accessories, and the concept of those is not exactly new. Over the years we've seen dedicated steering wheels for driving games, control boards for flight sims, the Rock Band guitar and so forth. The concept to use your body as the controller (or an extension of it) is simply an addition to said list.

The mote didn't "change" the gameplay in any way, given how vast majority of video games released today are still meant to be controlled by a simple gamepad, which has been an evolving thing since the 8-bit NES. In fact, that U went back to trying to evolve said pad further instead of sticking with the mote is a pretty clear giveaway that even Nintendo thinks it was a misstep (no pun) from them.

ROB98374

Finn said:
They're called gaming accessories, and the concept of those is not exactly new. Over the years we've seen dedicated steering wheels for driving games, control boards for flight sims, the Rock Band guitar and so forth. The concept to use your body as the controller (or an extension of it) is simply an addition to said list.

The mote didn't "change" the gameplay in any way, given how vast majority of video games released today are still meant to be controlled by a simple gamepad, which has been an evolving thing since the 8-bit NES. In fact, that U went back to trying to evolve said pad further instead of sticking with the mote is a pretty clear giveaway that even Nintendo thinks it was a misstep (no pun) from them.

Those accessories never take off. Remember ROB the Robot? Two games were released for that. Maracas? Two games. Steering wheel? OK quite a few. Activator? Two or three games. Guitar? Eight maybe?
The Wii is the first system to make a new technology standard with the system. No extra stuff to buy. All the manufactures will support it, because if you have a Wii, you have a motion controller. Not true with all the other systems. Maybe only a few percent of the game system owners would buy a specialized controller. That is why the manufactures don?t make many games for them.
The new Wii U actually only supports two of the new controllers. And you can?t even buy a second controller at this time. And there are no games that support a second controller as of yet. It STILL supports four of the Wii motion controllers. Only one player can use the new controller (which is still motion controlled), the other players use the original Wii motion controller.

Finn

Staff member
ROB98374 said:
Those accessories never take off. Remember ROB the Robot? Two games were released for that. Maracas? Two games. Steering wheel? OK quite a few. Activator? Two or three games. Guitar? Eight maybe?
So you cherry pick the worst offenders to somehow prove that the mote was a success story?

Well, yes it was a relative success story. But no one's ever claimed it wasn't. The point was that you claimed it "changed" gameplay, while it did no such thing, given how vast majority of the video games released (like what, 10 to 1 ratio?) are still designed to be controlled with a traditional gamepad.

Another fact Wii fans often like to flaunt is that their console sold better than both PS3 and X360, roughly 97 million compared to ~70 million for each of the remaining two.

However, if you look at the control scheme, PS3 and X360 are essentially the same. So together the gamepad-based systems trump Wii's sales in clear millions. And finally, there's the shadow being in the room: the PC. Because there is a wide variety of setups, there is simply no clear way to estimate how many games-grade PCs there exist in the world today, but one estimate I saw put it in the 150-200 million range, and that was still a meagerly conservative estimate.

In other words, the more traditional control schemes trump the mote around three to one, and in even greater numbers if you look at the simple amount of games released, with plenty more in the pipeline.

The bottom line is that out of every hour dedicated to gaming on this planet, only a small fraction of it is taken up by wiggling the mote. So it's not exactly a phenomenon that has sweeped the world and changed gaming forever. Maybe not exactly a gimmick either, but definitely nothing more than a curious novelty.

The Drifter

ROB98374 said:

The Move and Kinect are failing, and fast. Most games just support them, few are ever built around them. Nintendo needed a gimmick to sell the Wii because the hardware sucked. The hardware for the Wii U is nice, but will be surpassed soon when the other consoles are unleashed. Nintendo relied on a gimmick to slump up the Wii the same way they are doing for the Wii U.

ROB98374

Finn said:
So you cherry pick the worst offenders to somehow prove that the mote was a success story?
All I was trying to say was, NO MATTER what accessory is released for ANY console, it will very little support and will work with a very limited number of games.
When a system includes a new gizmo with EVERY system sold, it will be supported by nearly all the makers who produce a game for it.
I have owned nearly every game system made. Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 included. I am not just a Nintendo fan, I just like the Wii system because it is the first system that actually got me off the couch while I was playing. Also for 30 years I have been trying to get my Dad to play a video game. He has always refused. But when I got the Wii back in 2006, my Dad played his first video game along with my daughter. I never thought I would see the day.

Finn said:
Another fact Wii fans often like to flaunt is that their console sold better than both PS3 and X360, roughly 97 million compared to ~70 million for each of the remaining two.

However, if you look at the control scheme, PS3 and X360 are essentially the same. So together the gamepad-based systems trump Wii's sales in clear millions. And finally, there's the shadow being in the room: the PC. Because there is a wide variety of setups, there is simply no clear way to estimate how many games-grade PCs there exist in the world today, but one estimate I saw put it in the 150-200 million range, and that was still a meagerly conservative estimate.

Now that?s just like lumping Ford, Chevy, and all the other car makers together.
They are all separate systems. People have always compared the sales numbers of Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft consoles. PC?s have always out sold consoles. And EVERY PC has a unique control system also? the mouse.

Finn

Staff member
ROB98374 said:
All I was trying to say was, NO MATTER what accessory is released for ANY console, it will very little support and will work with a very limited number of games.
And as I said, when compared to the more traditional control schemes, the mote is still in the minority.

Look, I'm not trying to demean Wii here, or call it a bad console. I'm happy for you that you like it and feel it has offered you a fresh experience. However, numbers-wise, it is not something that has revolutionized the way we play video games. That's all. No animosity. Just the facts, sir.

ROB98374 said:
Now that’s just like lumping Ford, Chevy, and all the other car makers together.
But it works, because we're comparing control schemes. Most things we call a car have four wheels and a steering wheel. Yes, some variations exist, such as three-wheeled cars or ones that actually have something of a "joystick" instead of a steering wheel. And yes, some people actually prefer them, but it would still preposterous for them to claim that they have somehow drastically "changed" the automotive industry.