True Grit 2010

StoneTriple

I'm not one to have strong feelings on remakes, one way or another. They're either good (3:10 To Yuma, Ocean's 11) - or they're bad (Planet Of The Apes, Willy Wonka, Bad News Bears).

That said, I do sometimes catch myself thinking certain films shouldn't be remade ever -classics that define a genre, director, performance, era, etc. Because True Grit is one of my favorites, as well as being so well liked for so many years, I always sort of thought of it as a never remake film.

That was - until I saw this; http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/truegrit/ .

It looks like it surpasses the original on every level. Bridges looks perfect in the role, the girl comes across as ten times more believable, and Damon seems like the perfect choice for a sort of good guy.

Really looking forward to this one.
==========================
*edit*

Mods - I did a search for thread title and came up empty. Just now saw the Ford\Cogburn thread for this. Feel free to merge.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Really does look great.
I guess the Coen's can do no wrong.

Yeah I feel the same way about remaking classics... but I have a feeling this one will top the John Wayne one. It's based on a book correct?

Two movies that I feel should never even be attempted are the Godfather and Casablanca. I don't think anyone would want to touch those yet though... hopefully.

TheMutt92

Here's the link to merge if neccessary:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18273

Also, there is a theatrical trailer being shown before The Social Network (not the teaser as posted above) that is longer and more plot driven (and is played against Johnny Cash's cover of "God's Gonna Cut You Down") which should be posted online w/in the week, as well as a 'wanted' style teaser poster.

PHrpd3aZLGZUvu_2_m.jpg

TheMutt92

Theatrical Trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfTSvFSdyRg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfTSvFSdyRg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I know there's been alot of support for Inception and The Social Network, but perhaps the movie of the year won't arrive till Christmas day? I am slightly biased however, being a fan of both westerns and the Coen Bros (dosn't help that The Big Lebowski is my favorite film).

Indy's brother

TheMutt92 said:
Theatrical Trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfTSvFSdyRg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfTSvFSdyRg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ok, now that looks pretty good.....(y)

Dr. Gonzo said:
Yeah I feel the same way about remaking classics... but I have a feeling this one will top the John Wayne one. It's based on a book correct?

I agree. While the original had it's moments, much of it rode on the charm of The Duke, and felt as if it could have been better. This looks to up the ante, which if you are going to remake a classic, is usually the goal. I'm cautiously optimistic that the Coens may achieve this elusive hollywood brass ring.

oki9Sedo

Haven't read the novel or seen the John Wayne film but am certainly familiar with it.

As is the case with anything the Coens make, I'm really looking forward to this.

StoneTriple

Dr. Gonzo said:
It's based on a book correct?
According to the Coens, they stuck very close to the book. If I think I see what I think I'm seeing in the teaser & the full (for all of one second), they are right on the book. Don't want to spoil anything for people unfamiliar with the book.

For the record, the 69 version isn't too far off either. For the most part, it also follows the book, but it definitely goes for a softer, nicer touch in some spots. This new one doesn't come across that way at all.

TheMutt92

StoneTriple said:
According to the Coens, they stuck very close to the book. If I think I see what I think I'm seeing in the teaser & the full (for all of one second), they are right on the book. Don't want to spoil anything for people unfamiliar with the book.

For the record, the 69 version isn't too far off either. For the most part, it also follows the book, but it definitely goes for a softer, nicer touch in some spots. This new one doesn't come across that way at all.

I have seen the '69 film version (which isn't bad, but most of its charm comes from the Duke himself, Robert Duvall, and seeing a young Dennis Hopper for five minutes), but have yet to read the book. I found a copy at the Barnes and Noble near my college, so perhaps between now and Christmas I'll find some downtime to give it a read (considering this version is more of an adaptation of the novel, I might have to make this a priority).

TheMutt92

Well, so I finished the book alot faster than I anticipated (two days), especially considering I havn't read anything outside of school in awhile. And I must say, its an enjoyable read whether or not you've seen the John Wayne film or are anticipating the Coens version.

Comparing the book to the John Wayne movie and what I've seen of the readaptation, the readaptation looks to be more faithful to the source material. The 1969 version follows the plot pretty much step-by-step (w/ the exception of a few character fates at the end), but lacks the 'grit' (pun totally intended) and violence that the books has and the new film appears to be going towards.

Overall, I'd recommend watching the John Wayne film and reading the novel before seeing the film on Christmas day. That is, unless you have no interest in either or don't wish to be spoiled.

shazamtd

I didn't know about this at all until I looked at this thread. I love a good western and I'm anxious to see this one now. :gun: I'd have to ask my brother if he would like to go with me.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm trying to figure out precisely who Matt Damon looks like in that poster. He's got a bit of Ward Bond going on, but I don't think that's the whole of it. It's in the jaw and the eyes, whoever it is.

3godfatherswbond.jpg

Edited to add: overall, I'm a big fan of this ad campaign. Classy, not flashy. (Interesting, isn't it, how the poster-per-cast-member thing is becoming so popular.)

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
I'm trying to figure out precisely who Matt Damon looks like in that poster.

It took roughly twenty views of the trailer before I even realized that Matt Damon was playing the Texas Ranger. (I haven't seen the original or read the book.) That said, I was thinking that it's a cross between Lee Marvin in The Virginian and Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Marvin had a similar look in The Meanest Men in the West too.

the_virginian_lee_marvin.jpg

n-butch-cassidy-and-the-sundance-kid-newman-redford-butch_cassidy-07.jpg

Those posters are rather uninspired though. I can't wait for this recent trend in full body poses to end. Something like they did for Deadwood would have been preferable, and infinitely more interesting.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
It took roughly twenty views of the trailer before I even realized that Matt Damon was playing the Texas Ranger. (I haven't seen the original or read the book.) That said, I was thinking that it's a cross between Lee Marvin in The Virginian and Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Marvin had a similar look in The Meanest Men in the West too.

Hmm. Could be. The hair is a lot like Redford's in that film, anyhow.

Le Saboteur said:
Those posters are rather uninspired though. I can't wait for this recent trend in full body poses to end. Something like they did for Deadwood would have been preferable, and infinitely more interesting.

No, they're not inspired, but as formulaic poster campaigns go, this is far more preferable than the "funny people on white backdrops" or "two action stars with giant heads" or some of the other tropes that we could all name. And the typographic poster strikes me as at least a half-brave choice.

TheMutt92

Attila the Professor said:
\No, they're not inspired, but as formulaic poster campaigns go, this is far more preferable than the "funny people on white backdrops" or "two action stars with giant heads" or some of the other tropes that we could all name. And the typographic poster strikes me as at least a half-brave choice.

Reminds me somewhat of the characters/final one sheet of Inglourious Basterds...