Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Archaeos

Sheet 14

lqmm.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2086/lqmm.jpg

The colleague from the Museum quickly disappeared,
as Indy went to retrieve the second half of a manuscript...

"Hi Kara."
"Hi Indy!"
"Reading up on Egyptology?"
"Yes. And you? Reading up on?"
"Don't ask."

?that has eluded him for way too many years? Since Flensburg...

The placed the manuscript on the reading table. He remembered exactly what the first half of the manuscript implied about the fabled Discus of Pegasus.

Would the second half of the manuscript reveal more?

Archaeos

Hi Stoo, have resurfaced, just like Travelling Indy ? as I have been travelling myself for work beyond what is reasonable :( . I look forward to seeing you next week, I hope :whip: (y) (y) (y) (y)

NickTurner

Ah I get it now. The 'discus' is really a boomerang - and it DOES return ! :D

Nice to have you back Archaeos, with the nice atmospheric musuem/archive shots.

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Hi Stoo, have resurfaced, just like Travelling Indy — as I have been travelling myself for work beyond what is reasonable :( . I look forward to seeing you next week, I hope :whip: (y) (y) (y) (y)
Thank you for resurfacing, Archaeos! Keep it going, mate, but pick up the pace if you can. The audience is growing restless. Quick march & double time. That's an order!:whip:

Seeing Indy within the hidden, inner sanctum of the British Museum is a special treat and such a fitting place for Professor Jones to be. Thumbs up for your exclusive peek!(y) I especially like the Flensburg reference and the photo of Indy with his hands on both sides of the "manuscript". It's a great setup and one of my favourite shots from the entire project. Well done!:hat:

(Yes, we will see each other this week in London...by hook or by crook!;))
inky_skin said:
Stoo - you've stepped into the breach and done a fine job when I could not. It is very much appreciated. Please continue if you still have the time and enthusiasm.
Sir Ink, I'll continue with as much spirit as can be mustered (which is full-on, with a volume setting of 11) but will request your input & decisions from time to time...as you'll see in my following post.

Stoo

harvey said:
Yeah, it seems the urgency and speed of this project has slowed to a crawl.

Let's do this. Send him along. Whomever is currently organizing this, send me a PM and tell me what I need to do (who gets address, who gets it next, etc)
The sender & receiver must organize with each other. To start; contact Le Saboteur with a Raven Private Message and give him your e-mail & mailing address. When you are done with the doll, get in touch with The Drifter, because he is next after you. (A new itinerary will be posted soon.)

Important Note: Inky has requested that the package be sent via priority mail or any other method which has a tracking number (this is to avoid Indy getting lost in the mail, which happened once before).

The main reason that this project has slowed to a crawl is because our fine friend, Archaeos, seems to have bitten off more than he can chew. We've been waiting for him to continue with his ambitious contributions before Le Saboteur starts posting but, due to work/travel commitments, Archaeos is taking a long time. Too long, in fact. He has tonnes more to show but, at this current rate, it's going to take forever so I don't quite know what to do about this.

Should we wait for Archaeos to finish (to maintain the linear flow) OR leap-frog over him?:confused: Inky Skin, your input is needed in this case!:eek:

The Drifter said:
I asked to be a part of this a few years back. How far along on the list am I, Stoo? I recently moved near Kingsport, TN, and there are quite a few places good old Indy could visit around these parts.
Noted & logged, Drifty.;) You were included in the "interested" list that I posted 6 months ago so consider yourself next after Harvey. It's unfortunate that you've left West Virginia because I was looking forward to singing John Denver's, "Country Roads", while looking at your photos. I've been to Virginia (in Fairfax) but not West Virginia.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GVluOZb47fQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That said, Tennessee locations would be most welcome!(y) Please promise us that you'll get some cliché shots of Tennessee. I'm talkin', like, a hound dog asleep underneath a broken-down, Dodge pickup truck or some hick with a cheek full of chewin' tobacco, etc. (I've never been to Tennessee so pardon me if my vision is way off.:eek:) Showcasing that state's pretty parts is a given so be sure to include those, too!

Stoo

Goodeknight said:
Hmmm, okay so I'm not sure how this works. My job takes me overseas periodically - one to three times a year, often to someplace like Kenya, Israel, or Egypt. Perfect places for Mini Indy to pose for a snapshot during an intense adventure. I know about those trips a month or so in advance most times.

Would it be difficult to get my hands on Mini Indy with a couple weeks notice?
Those locations were be suberb, Goodie, and it'd be FANTASTIC if such trips could be worked in, should the opportunity arise!(y) However, it would depend on the co-operation of the host. (Ex. Member X receives the figure a couple of days before you learn that you're leaving for Africa in a week's time. Member X would have to be willing to part with the doll immediately after getting it.) In such a case, let's deal with that situation when/if it arises.

Frankly, I'd love it if you could show Indy around. It would be cool to see him at Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, a site of the American Revolution (no, I don't call it the "War of Independence")!:p
russds said:
Still interested here. So bottom line, and sorry, my programmer brains leads me to numbered lists, and short/direct questions.

1. @LeSaboteur has had little Indy since Oct/Nov 2012, and still has it now?
2. We are just waiting for him to send it to the next person?
3. Next person is @Bonoferox or is it still being decided?

Thanks @stoo l for keeping 'the boulder rolling' and @inky_skin for initiating the great project.
Russ, my friend, you were on the "interested" list from 6 months ago so consider yourself next after Drifter. Heh, I like numbered points, too, so no worries.

1. The reason that Sabo has had Indy for so long is because of a BIG surprise location which I felt was worthing waiting for. Might as well spill the beans now: Mt. Everest!:eek:
2. Very UNFORTUNATELY, the tour company's plan for Everest has been postponed until next year so I've asked Le Sab to move the figure along.
3. Bonoferox was supposed to be next but there has been no word from him in quite awhile...so Indy's schedule is being rearranged as we speak.

Le Saboteur

NickTurner said:
So, is the camera, or Indy on the ocean floor? Or neither?

The camera (and its underwater housing) has been at the bottom of the Pacific since… well, November. I inadvertently kicked it through the bottom side of the cage while attempting to reposition the figure. Plastic, however, doesn’t sink nearly as quickly as metal. Those pictures were subsequently lost and given the general lateness of the season, irreplaceable.
NickTurner said:
Any connection with your "Raven name" hmm?

I don’t recall you volunteering to come out of pocket to ensure Mini Indy made it out to Billy Ray in Afghanistan. So, if you’d like to question my integrity on this project, I would be more than happy to deep six the figure to prove you right. I promise it won’t take much effort on my part, and I’ll enjoy my social pariah status and imminent banning.

Stoo said:
Shark or not (had to look that up), you should have dove in after him.

Having twice been about six inches away from The Landlord in the Grey Suit, it’s not an enviable position to be in. It really puts things into perspective! Shark or not, that 6,000 feet is wa-ay beyond my rating!

Lance Quazar said:
So LeSab's avatar was weirdly prophetic?

Oddly enough, yes! Except I go looking for trouble annually. It used to be more frequently, but family members don’t share my taste for danger.

inky_skin said:
There seems to be some PM's flying around but no clear statement.

No, no PMs. It’s just an intentional effort at drumming up some interest on this board due to Archaeos’ absence.

I’m a cad. (y)

Harvey said:
Yeah, it seems the urgency and speed of this project has slowed to a crawl.

I didn’t realize that we were in such a damnable hurry to get the figure around the world and back to inky. If that was the case, I could have given the figure to a pilot friend and be done with it. He’d already be back in inky’s hands for induction to the museum.

That said, the project has reached a certain level of stagnation. It’s to be expected given the milieu, though. But we certainly shouldn’t be rushing to get this completed. If you need something else to occupy your time, I can recommend several other threads of note.

russds said:
1. @LeSaboteur has had little Indy since Oct/Nov 2012, and still has it now?

This isn’t Twitter. I don’t respond to @-signs.

Yes, I still have Mini Indy. But the rhyme and reason why are not owed to you. Even though he’s decided to out the surprise, it’s between Stoo and myself. Had he insisted, the figure would have moved on several months ago.

Stoo said:
1. The reason that Sabo has had Indy for so long is because of a BIG surprise location which I felt was worthing waiting for. Might as well spill the beans now: Mt. Everest!

I would have preferred that the surprise remain a surprise, but they’ll have something to look forward to next year now!

Stoo said:
2. Very UNFORTUNATELY, the tour company's plan for Everest has been postponed until next year so I've asked Le Sab to move the figure along.

Not exactly. Simone Moro and I draw a paycheck from the same company. The project was internally axed and moved to next climbing season. It is highly unfortunate though, and I am looking forward to next year’s undertaking.

Archaeos said:
"Hi Kara."

Wait. Kara? Kara Cooney?! You and Mini-Indy know the lovely Kara Cooney? I'll pay you a large sum of money if you can convince her to send me a postcard. :gun:

inky_skin

Let me just state that I appreciate EVERY contribution made to this project. However, momentum is required to sustain interest - especially when success is dependant on participation. I've enjoyed everything that has been done so far and I don't want it to sour as a result of people misinterpreting the actions of others. I find the fact that forum members have made real-world connections as a result of Travelling Indy particularly gratifying. Use him as a focus to give others an insight into your life - show us things we couldn't have seen otherwise. But don't let him come between us.

Keep it light and fun chaps.

Archaeos

Sheet 15

s83e.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9250/s83e.jpg

The first manuscript, found in Flensburg, told the story of Seintos, a mythical Hellenic Olympian who was the champion discus thrower for four Olympiads. Athena, so impressed by his skill, made him one of her guardian protectors, and had Hephaestus himself arm him with a discus made of Gammanium in alloy with Orichalcum - both mythical and rare metals - plus radiant Star Dust Sand. It was said that when he threw the discus, it would glow like a meteor and pierce through the darkness of night to bring light. Boulders would crumble to dust, and the discus could fly so fast, not even the legendary Pegasus could catch up with it. The ancient text was just about to continue elaborating what happened to the fabled Discus of Pegasus, when the manuscript suddenly ended, torn in half. Indy had thought that this part had accidentally been destroyed during the SS units' retreat… Foster and he eventually gave up looking for the second half when their secondment to the MFAA ended.

But now, out of nowhere, the second half had been discovered… in the vast underground storages of the British Museum. Indy knew of the thousands of objects stored that were often half-documented, or not even properly catalogued. What a coincidence: Foster, finding it here, right now, at the start of a new Olympiad. Never mind, he had the second half in front of him. Indy began to read:

"Poseidon and Hades, jealous of Athena Promachos, challenged her, but her guardian protectors fulfilled their duty. Seintos above all vanquished the challengers, his discus obliterating entire enemy armies and wiping them off the Earth." — Indy was familiar with a degree of hyperbole in Ancient Hellenic texts, but this..?! "I start to understand Himmler's SS interest in this..." he thought, and continued to read: "Zeus himself was so impressed, that he granted Seintos a place among the gods, but safely stored the Discus, as it was a tool that had even successfully challegend the Gods." — Hang on, could this be a semi-legendary account? — Indy started to transpire through his plastic.., eh, leather jacket — "The Discus was laid to rest at… in . . . what? …Zeus' own. . . earthly heaven…in the land of where cory-… no. . . core-… coriander leaves for ashore. . . WHAT?" — A gasp of despair — "Why do these Ancients never just say where the hell this thing is! Would make our job much easier. Mmhh, the land of… coriander…, no, where that leaves the shores… Yes, where the plants leaves or seeds of cirander are shipped out for trade across the Ancient World!?

Archaeos

Sheet 16

9ino.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/521/9ino.jpg

Indy was stunned... he stumbled out of the Museum. He needed the fresh aur of Bloomsbury's park, where he had spent so much time as a student.

"It's almost as if Zeus wants it to be found again, to celebrate the new Olympiad just starting, here in London, where I am!"

Indy knew this was a ludicrous idea, a delusion, an act of rationalisation, finding a reason why to go off for something elusive, probably not even existing. A phantasy.

"Plato wrote about Orichalcum in the 'Atlantis'. To find that metal, and Gammanium..." ? Was it about fortune and glory?

"It coud be true, it could be a weapon" ? Was it about war and peace, he thought, as he walked past someone he briefly encountered during his City of Lightning adventure.

"Marya Smirnova" ? was it about women? No, he only remembered Marya in French, anyway, something he always found odd.

"I just have to find it." Somehow, he felt the Discus wanted to be found.

Archaeos

Sheet 17

38e.jpg

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3239/38e.jpg

Coriander! The political economomy of coriander in the ancient mediterranean world. That was his starting point. A topic so sexy, the only place he would be certain to find a source was...

?no, not the majestic Australia House on Aldwych, but?

...at the famous library of the LSE, that cosmopolis of knowledge
always striving to know the causes of things."

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Why do these Ancients never just say where the hell this thing is! Would make our job much easier.
Too funny, man!:D Brilliant, witty writing all around and I'm loving how your story is developing into something quite grandiose.
Archaeos said:
Was it about war and peace, he thought, as he walked past someone he briefly encountered during his City of Lightning adventure.

"Marya Smirnova" — was it about women? No, he only remembered Marya in French, anyway, something he always found odd.
Cool tip o' the hat to a rare Indy tale, Archaeos.

I know exactly where that Gandhi statue is because I've stayed twice at the Hilton hotel just up the street. In between the statue and the Hilton was the site of one of the 7/7 terrorist bombings. (Ironic that such a deplorable act was committed so close to a monument of peace.)

Anyway, keep 'em coming!(y)

Lance Quazar

I cannot even begin to describe how utterly dazzled and blown away I am by Archaeos' SPECTACULAR contribution to this project.

Combining stunning photography, thrilling locations, boundless creativity and compelling storytelling.....

it's just a remarkable achievement and I've enjoyed every last pixel!

Finn

Staff member
Lance Quazar said:
I cannot even begin to describe how utterly dazzled and blown away I am by Archaeos' SPECTACULAR contribution to this project.

Combining stunning photography, thrilling locations, boundless creativity and compelling storytelling.....
Indeed. It almost feels like the host of each and every leg is looking to one-up the previous ones.

Amazing, exotic locations like Afghanistan, the Philippines (and Mt. Everest?!), incredible activities, photo novelas, one guy almost sends Mini Indy to the orbit... simply incredible.

However, as a downside, after all this it'll be real hard to find volunteers who would just take him to a spin to the interesting sights in his or her local neighborhood... which I believe was the original idea of this project.

russds

Great to read some activity on this thread, Archaeos those pics and story are amazing!!. That pic of Indy 'holding' the manuscript on the table, wow...just wow, that could be the best/most creative pic I've seen so far.

This project really has gotten to a new level. Like Finn said, the amazing and exotic locations - I'm almost scared to maybe one day receive mini Indy now....man, that bar is high! :)

Thanks all for some great posts, and for keeping this alive, and responding. So it sounds like current status is stoo and Le Saboteur are working out the details on who next will get Mini Indy - thanks guys for your efforts. Mt. Everest, would have been incredible, maybe another time though.

Archaeos

I think this talk about expectations and standards is too fearsome and distracting from the fun. Sure, there has been a steady rise in quality or sophistication or gigantomania. But once I am done, and LeSab will top it off by taking Travelling Indy into Outer Space on board of "Moonraker", we all here will want to see something simple, authentic, genuine again.

It's like the Bond franchise... after every over-the-top Bond with invisible cars and stuff, there's a reboot and back-to-basics Bond, where he breaks down with his Aston and has to call the AA/AAA/ADAC or whatever the car club is in your territory.

:p

Archaeos

Sheet 18

qcww.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4214/qcww.jpg

Coriander, Coriander, Coriander? there!

'Grows wild over a wide area of the Near East and southern Europe.' ? "That's not really narrowing it down?" ? 'Half a litre of coriander mericarps were recovered from the tomb of Tutankhamen' ? "No, wrong period" ? 'Cultivated in Greece since 2000 BC?' ? "There you go!" ? 'Its seeds were used as spice for its seeds, its leaves were used as a herb. Linear B tablets from Pylos refers to the manufacture of perfumes from it.' ? "Ahaa!: 'large quantities of the species retrieved from an Early Bronze Age layer at Sitagroi could point to cultivation of the species at that time.'?

Finn

Staff member
Archaeos said:
I think this talk about expectations and standards is too fearsome and distracting from the fun. Sure, there has been a steady rise in quality or sophistication or gigantomania. But once I am done, and LeSab will top it off by taking Travelling Indy into Outer Space on board of "Moonraker", we all here will want to see something simple, authentic, genuine again.

It's like the Bond franchise... after every over-the-top Bond with invisible cars and stuff, there's a reboot and back-to-basics Bond, where he breaks down with his Aston and has to call the AA/AAA/ADAC or whatever the car club is in your territory.
While I can't help but feel genuine admiration for all the efforts here, I have to admit that some of it is a little off-putting. It's a double-edged sword, and some of the charm the project originally had appears to have been lost amongst all the grandeur. Sometimes less could just be more.