Favorite weapon from Emperors Tomb

Gear

Just out of curiosity, whats everyones favorite weapon from Emperors Tomb?
Now that I think about it, I'm partial to the Webly and the Tommy Gun from the streets of Hong Kong. The shot gun's pretty nice too...

Gear

I think that changing the game play to hard might help with that.
And hey, the guns weren't usless... ahem-However It did **** me off that it took pretty near an entire bloody clip of MP-40 amo to kill a guy...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Fists, undoubtedly - the combat system and the graphics were the most worthwhile parts of Emperor's Tomb, after all. Throwing bottles was nice as well, and all the other items that could be used in hand-to-hand combat.

Although, as an aside, after just replaying Infernal Machine, I'm inclined to agree with Finn that it's a superior game to Emperor's Tomb.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indy's gun isn't a Webley in ET, more like a Smith & Wesson with a 6" barrel.

ET gun:

emperor_21.jpg

Webley Mark VI:

Webley.jpg

Gear

(y) Nice one VP, in his jurnal he writes about missplacing his Webley and Snedly leaves a note atatched to a page saying that "...the musseum will not replace another Webley."... Maby that explains it.

Finn

Staff member
They've botched a million things with the movie timeline when it comes to ET, so at least to me ET's canonity is a highly ambiguous deal. Barwood designed Indy games (FoA and IM) fit to the canon beautifully, since Barwood did his homework. Whoever designed ET, did not.

As an individual gaming experience, ET is one of my better ones, however. Let's admit that.

And, oh yeah... the best weapon? Fists, of course. The whole close combat system is great and fluid one.

Finn said:
As an individual gaming experience, ET is one of my better ones, however. Let's admit that.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I finally picked up a copy used about a year back and didn't put the game down for 3 days til I had beaten it. It was pretty immersive, the graphics were gorgeous, and all-in-all loads of fun. But I still felt it was too easy and the story was lacking compared to Barwood's efforts. As you pointed out there were all those inconsistencies that detracted to a degree and that final level (while no worse than the Aetherium from IM) was just outlandish. Insofar as the story goes, it was pretty unfulfilling. FOA will always be the best, but for the two 3D installments of Indy gaming we've yet seen... I prefer IM.

Gear

I keep hearing everyone say that Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine are the best Indy games but I've never played either. I'm not gonna go out and get a game for PC (or at least I dont really want to) because their a pain to install and keep up. I'd like to get the chance to play the two other Indy games though.

I think that (from what I've seen and read) all the Indy games have some plot problems with them. For example:
-In IM there's a mine car chase which is a rehash of ToD.
-ET has a rope bridge crash and car chase in China, like ToD.
-and, they all center around Indy fighting some kind of army (usualy Nazis).

I dont really mind ET's reflections of ToD 'coz I liked the game alot.
Just wanted to make a point.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
gear guardian said:
I keep hearing everyone say that Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine are the best Indy games but I've never played either. I'm not gonna go out and get a game for PC (or at least I dont really want to) because their a pain to install and keep up. I'd like to get the chance to play the two other Indy games though.

I think that (from what I've seen and read) all the Indy games have some plot problems with them. For example:
-In IM there's a mine car chase which is a rehash of ToD.
-ET has a rope bridge crash and car chase in China, like ToD.
-and, they all center around Indy fighting some kind of army (usualy Nazis).

I dont really mind ET's reflections of ToD 'coz I liked the game alot.
Just wanted to make a point.

I actually kind of feel that such echoes of the films are put in, to borrow a handy phrase, "for the fans," to give us an opportunity to play through things similar to those from the films without actually being just like them. Who among us didn't think to ourselves, "Prepare to meet Kali...in Hell!" when we were collapsing a rope bridge, or wish we could get that rubber life raft out onto the hills in the Tian Shan segments of Infernal Machine, or want to take the left tunnel in King's Sol's Mines? The "Return to Peru" level was a great inclusion to Infernal Machine, so long as it remained outside the plot of the game and was a nice little added in chance to tread some familiar territory. Your point is well-taken though that there can be a fine line between relying on such things and making good use of them.

One thing I genuinely don't understand though, and I'm not trying to rip on you in any shape or form at the moment, but what do you mean about PC games being hard to install and keep up?

Attila the Professor said:
One thing I genuinely don't understand though, and I'm not trying to rip on you in any shape or form at the moment, but what do you mean about PC games being hard to install and keep up?

Yeah... especially since all those games are long past the point of being patched for one reason or another...

Finn

Staff member
IM is a lengthy game that pits Indy in various situations. The mentioned mine car secquence is just one passing secquence and, unlike ToD, there's never any real feeling of chase or urgency with it. You can stop the thing at will, and walk around and explore and take your time. Same applies with all the vehicular segments in the game. They're more like transportation devices.

And, as said, there's plenty of things in a game as lengthy as IM that echoes from the movies. There's plenty of boulders to run from, there's betrayal of a supposedly friendly character like in LC, it's even got its own echoes of FoA. And none of this is a bad thing, because they really don't contradict anything we've seen earlier. I don't quite get where one got an idea that we'd gripe about ET because it rehashes things. It's purely those plot inconsistencies why at least I have trouble considering it as a canon piece.

ET is a great, fun game and I experienced loads of good moments playing it. I somehow think why it fails is that it's clearly attaching itself to ToD, attempting to be a direct prequel to it. And since someone did sloppy work with the plot, it breaks the image of the flow of things we've been having from the movies, becoming a forced entry. FoA and IM are individual adventures. They do have a time stamp, yes, but apart from that they make no attempt whatsoever to connect themselves to the any of the movies or shed more light to things that happened in them. That's why some people consider them superior chapters compared to ET purely on story level.

San Holo

Right on Clinton. The fists were the best weapon, with the dastardly kick-to-tha-crotch coming in at a close second. :whip: