What film left Indy the most sore/hurting?

Dr.Jonesy

When you think about it, when you fall or get hurt...you usually don't feel the pain and soreness from that fall until days later. So, when we leave Indy walking away with Marion in D.C., kissing Willie, riding off into the sunset with the Three Stooges or walking to the 'Just Married' sedan, we never really see the condition he is in after the adventure!

So, after all that he's been through in each film, what adventure left Indiana the most unpleasant and sore/bruised?

My vote;

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Chased by boulder, almost fell into bottomless pit, chased for awhile by natives, jumped out of a temple and rolled down a small hill, shot in the arm, wound beaten, dragged on a rugged road, beaten up by an oversized muscle man, rode a statue into a wall, lifted the Ark cover (major muscle strain), had the runs from the Tunisian food, hit with a mirror, fell off a plane and thrown out of a truck. That has got to be some serious hurtin' later.

Runner up...

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Shoved in a trunk with a smelly double agent, thrown onto pavement, fell into and broke truck cab, tackled and fell through glass dome onto steel platform, beaten by Dovchenko whilst being hoisted by the neck, transported via rocket to Doomtown where he was blown sky high in a fridge, then falls/slides across library floor, falls down stairs at the cemetary, jumps cars during the jungle chase, beaten up by Dovchenko again, falls down 3 waterfalls and to top it off, he has to run down a pyramid. For a 58 year old, he's going to be one sore mutha after that adventure.

What do you guys think?!

indiana-jones-review.jpg

Brooke Logan

I think you've got it summed up well and I agree with your choices.

The black sleep of Kali seemed to put him in a lot of pain too.

Dr.Jonesy said:
had the runs from the Tunisian food,

This was in canon? :confused:

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
I put it in there as a joke to see who'd catch it.
Dr.Jonesy said:
lifted the Ark cover (major muscle strain),
Catch this, Dr.Jonesy: Indiana Jones never lifted the Ark's cover!:gun:

---
Indy suffered the LEAST bodily punishment in "Last Crusade". (There is a thread about this somewhere...)

Dr.Jonesy

Stoo said:
Catch this, Dr.Jonesy: Indiana Jones never lifted the Ark's cover!:gun:

---
Indy suffered the LEAST bodily punishment in "Last Crusade". (There is a thread about this somewhere...)

He and Sallah lifted that big stone cover over the Ark, that's what I meant!
:gun:
Which looked heavy as hell.

And yeah, the least bodily punishment was definitely in LC but that's not to say he had a walk in the park either!
:p

michael

All good points, but honestly, after Temple of Doom, how long do you think it took for him to be able to have his back rest on something with those whip-lashings?

Straight up, that's one of the most painful things he's experienced in those 4 stories.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

michael said:
All good points, but honestly, after Temple of Doom, how long do you think it took for him to be able to have his back rest on something with those whip-lashings?

Straight up, that's one of the most painful things he's experienced in those 4 stories.

Yeah Michael, I'm on board with you. It's a toss up between Raiders and Doom.
In Doom Jones gets whipped, burned, voodoo needle punctured in his back consistently, beaten by Roach, almost gets his chest busted through by Mola Ram and goes through a hell of an excruciating mental phase. He also looks the most "beaten up" in Doom.

And Stoo is right about The Last Crusade being the least painful experience.

Goodeknight

As anyone over 40ish on here should know, Crystal Skull would have left him the most sore, simply because of age.

Other than that, I'd go for Raiders. Gunshot wound trumps whip lashings or anything else.

As for the cover over the ark, if that's supposed to be solid stone, then I'd guess he and Sallah lifted somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 pounds. That's gotta hurt.

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
He and Sallah lifted that big stone cover over the Ark, that's what I meant!
:gun:
Which looked heavy as hell.
O.K. Gotcha. That would be taxing.
goodeknight said:
Other than that, I'd go for Raiders. Gunshot wound trumps whip lashings or anything else.
Yes, plus, while dragging behind the truck, he had to pull his own weight with a bullet in his arm/shoulder. OUCH!

Randy_Flagg

KOTCS should no doubt have left him in the worst shape. Actually, it should have left him dead. There was no padding in the fridge, and that was one hell of a rough landing. I really can't think of anything more painful that he experienced.
After that, he basically goes over Niagara Falls three times. Going over Niagara Falls just ONCE has killed many people, and Indy does it three times. Oddly enough, though, it doesn't seem to have injured him at all.

And, as has already been said, you gotta factor his age into the equation, which makes things even worse.

So, yeah, KOTCS SHOULD have left him in the worst shape, but he actually seemed to be in pretty good condition by the end of it.

russds

I've often thought the bullet shot in Raiders would take the cake in terms of pain. There's even that scene with Marion shortly after in boat where he shows how beat up he is.

But good point about the back lashing, and voodoo doll poking in ToD. Actually if the voodoo doll poking was felt "as is", I'm assuming that would take the cake. If sizes where kept in sync that would be like getting stabbed with a very large (and round) sword right in the back....ouch.

Dr.Jonesy

But Indy didn't seem to have any leftover pain from the Voodoo thing. It seemed to be an 'In His Mind' pain, since if it did leave any actual damage, he wouldn't have been able to go right back to punching. Also he moves as if nothing happened after the Thugee goes into the roller-thing.

I don't think it did any damage to him that would make him sore later.

michael

Dr.Jonesy said:
But Indy didn't seem to have any leftover pain from the Voodoo thing. It seemed to be an 'In His Mind' pain, since if it did leave any actual damage, he wouldn't have been able to go right back to punching. Also he moves as if nothing happened after the Thugee goes into the roller-thing.

Have you heard of adrenaline?

Dr.Jonesy

michael said:
Have you heard of adrenaline?

Adrenaline does not get rid of the feeling of a sword going into your back.

Indy didn't have any burns from the doll being over the fire. So I doubt there was any lasting effects from the pin in the doll.

Orellana

I fully agree about the KotCS leaving Indy hurt, but in RotLA, i think getting dragged behind a truck and then taking a dive in icy sea water would hurt too, regardless of age.

HenryJunior

Immediately I think he looked like he was in his worst condition at the end of TOD. If you think about it he got about 4 hours of sleep in the whole movie and was on his feet fighting for the rest of it. That face after climbing over the cliff and saving a Sankara stone has that beaten "I need to retire early look".:p
Then again if we're considering long term effects who knows what 1950's medicine DIDN'T detect after being exposed to a nuclear blast. :dead:

russds

Dr.Jonesy said:

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that, but makes a lot of sense. Since there was no lasting damage, and was immediately ok afterwards. In this case I will have to go with raiders. To me he seems the most beat up in the scene with Marion on the boat. After being dragged, punched, shot, etc.

Johnb02

I think even if the voodoo doll didn't leave him sore, it make TOD the film with the most pain. Fire, stabs in the back, that would of really hurt. And being whipped alot. Not to mention his heart almost being ripped out on the bridge by Mola Ram.

Johnb02

Dr.Jonesy said:

Adrenaline does not get rid of the feeling of a sword going into your back.

Indy didn't have any burns from the doll being over the fire. So I doubt there was any lasting effects from the pin in the doll.

But he still had alot of pain.

justin

Brooke Logan said:
I think you've got it summed up well and I agree with your choices.

The black sleep of Kali seemed to put him in a lot of pain too.

This was in canon? :confused:
yes i was in canon theas me i punch him fight him in frunt fo me!;)