indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

HJJNR

Stoo said:
I was going to the same thing but didn't want to come across as too nit-picky. Your images are great, HJJNR, but if you could go a bit more cartoony they would be perfect. JuniorJones & I are aiming for a Filmation aesthetic, so, PREFERABLY, some black line work in & around objects will help achieve that look. Some deep, background objects should be rendered as washes of one solid, colour. I only ask this because, I'll be doing some backgrounds, too, and wish to maintain some consistency. I can do your style (you're using a WACOM tablet, yes?) but the desire is to have this thing look like it was made in 1982 (At least, I think so...). If you don't have the time/whatnot, don't worry about it. Your stuff looks decent and that's the important thing.;)

Also, HJ, keep in mind that, for scrolling/panning/zooming purposes, certain shots will require foreground/background elements on layers seperate from the main plate.

Personally, I'm using the mid-to-late '70s Tarzan series as jungle inspiration. If you're not familiar with it, have a look. The colour in the opening credits is dull on this video but the rest is better. Not the best episode but I chose it because it had a Ravemnount-type of mountain at the beginning. Watch any of the available Tarzan videos on YouTube to get an idea. There are loads of 'em...

Tarzan and the Spider People 1 of 3

I have just looked at the Tarzan clips, it's not exactly my style of work but I'll give it a shot. I am so used to getting as much detail in as possible, it's tricky to pull back a bit and lose detail. I will absolutely give it a go.

I'll make a basic mountain range as test for you to check out.
;)

Ska

muttjones said:
Love it all Indy's brother but I seeing know tomb raiding. It is all just action and none of the other side of Indy. Maybe its just me but there needs to be a bit of that and some girl kissing.

MJ, Scenes 3. (the first time we see Indy) and 12. show Indy tomb raiding. I like the fact that we first see Indy in some ancient tomb (turning a stone key).

Stoo said:
(Idea: Make the plane's markings read OB-SKA)!:D

Now you're making me blush. :eek:

HJJNR

HJJNR said:
I have just looked at the Tarzan clips, it's not exactly my style of work but I'll give it a shot. I am so used to getting as much detail in as possible, it's tricky to pull back a bit and lose detail. I will absolutely give it a go.

I'll make a basic mountain range as test for you to check out.
;)

Click thumbnail to view large.

Let me know if this is more like it! :) This is quick crude and un- polished but its only a test run.

Indy's brother

HJJNR, let me be the first to say it, that looks great.

Stoo, any chance of posting your death trap sketches? I'm having a little difficulty visualizing it, and would like to get my mind around it so I'm in line with your vision of this scene.

MJ--kissing...hmm. I might be able to add a smooch somewhere as part of one of the scenes listed (New Orleans?), but I'll have to get back to you on that. If it seems out of place, I can't put one in just to have it there.

MJ and IJ2131, thanks for your comments. I just about made myself sick putting that together, this remains the biggest writing challenge I've ever faced. Not that I'm a professional writer, I'm a construction worker. But writing has been a hobby of mine since high school. Non-linear scenes, collaborating with contributors/trying to please someone other than myself, writing to fit a score rather than having one made to fit our scenes... It's a real tangled mess, but having an outline to work from is the biggest hurdle. I still have plenty to do, but from my end (as long as everyone can agree that this will be our template), the worst has passed.

Lonesome, sorry I couldn't get any of your stuff in there. I'm far from done though, so please feel free to post any thoughts/ideas on the scenes that we will be using.

Indy's brother

Ska said:
I say tie the kiss in with the wing walk.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. Maybe a kiss on the wing? The camera pulls back as the plane flies away, then rooftops. Feels a little rushed, though. That would take about 2 seconds, leaving 3 seconds prior for the "plane pluck". If it can be animated right and edited with quick enough cuts it could work.

Solid suggestion, Ska.

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
Indy's Brother, if you have any questions regarding my death trap bit feel free to ask.

Thanks--while do I get your idea, I would still like to get a visual on it. I want to be on the same page with our artists. Especially since Stoo already has an image or two (no matter how rough) to work off of.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I have tons of books as reference but the style guides are temporarily on the back burner. Sorry!

No need for an apology.

Although you may have the most creative it can be the **** end of the stick because of the expectation and work need.

As I have said previously it seems a bit pointless to start the animation with the style sheet but we can simply work around this by constrating on working out the scene layouts and timing by producing rough animatics to the music.

Once the animatics are agreed we can then divide the work for full animation and by that time we will all be in awe of your style sheets. Failing that, I?d just crib your style and do it myself.:whip:

I'm using the mid-to-late '70s Tarzan series as jungle inspiration

That?s funny. That exactly my thought too. I've also been looking at (or should I say revisiting) filmation's Flash Gordon.

Although I agree with the style of filmation in terms of a basis for effective animation techniques I think that HJJNR can give a rich painted quality that will enhance the animation.

Indy?s Brother
You?re doing a great job. Great Job. (I?ve just watch Hancock). All I want to know is when is it my turn!!:D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Wow! This forum automatic bleeps swear words. Technology eh! What can it do next. For your information the word was hit but with a s on the front.

Indy's brother

Stoo, If we do the "fly-by" instead of the crash, you could have a mapline beginning the second after the plane leaves the screen. Then it can stop on the map as soon as we see Indy's reveal. I'm warming up to the idea, but I have to admit, I'm skeptical about your moment of silence, or at least no music. Of course, you are the man so it's up to you, but I wanted to voice my opinion of it. Once MJ posts a link for his new edit, I will do an intro for it to your specs, and we'll see how it sounds, er, hear how it sounds. Listen to it, I mean.

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
Stoo, If we do the "fly-by" instead of the crash, you could have a mapline beginning the second after the plane leaves the screen. Then it can stop on the map as soon as we see Indy's reveal. I'm warming up to the idea, but I have to admit, I'm skeptical about your moment of silence, or at least no music. Of course, you are the man so it's up to you, but I wanted to voice my opinion of it. Once MJ posts a link for his new edit, I will do an intro for it to your specs, and we'll see how it sounds, er, hear how it sounds. Listen to it, I mean.

so do you still want me to use your part you put on the front? i was just going to fix up the cuts i did. After i post you could edit it without the sound effects at the start. is that the plan?

Indy's brother

muttjones said:
so do you still want me to use your part you put on the front? i was just going to fix up the cuts i did. After i post you could edit it without the sound effects at the start. is that the plan?

Do a clean re-edit of your original mix (without my intro). I'll mess with it afterwards. If you do an edit/remix with my intro stuff included, then I can't alter my effects on it--my additions would all be on one track.

Indy's brother

Can someone post a link that last mix I did somewhere where it can be downloaded indefinitely? Or show me a way to do it? I keep feeling bad that our "fans" here can't all give it a listen and keep up with our progress. If anyone reading this is feeling froggy and wants to do it, I'd appreciate it!

Also, if I may correct myself from my earlier post:
Indy's brother said:
If we do the "fly-by" instead of the crash, you could have a mapline beginning the second after the plane leaves the screen. Then it can stop on the map as soon as we see Indy's reveal.
Actually, stopping the map line right before the reveal would work better. That way Indy's big entrance as an animated hero for the first time ever wouldn't be muddied up with the map and red line.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Another this time to see if I can do soundtrack timings. I know this version is a bit over the top but the first cue maybe a bit short for the information we'd like to get across.

object>

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:
Another this time to see if I can do soundtrack timings. I know this version is a bit over the top but the first cue maybe a bit short for the information we'd like to get across.

The timing is pretty cool. (y) I think I might have to scare up a better plane sample, or do something else with it. The original sample went perfectly from left to right, it sounds the way it does now because I tried to get it to pan from center to the right, and that's the best I could do. If I can get it to sound that way (center to right), it would be easier on you and look more like the original concept.

When you say the first cue, do you mean the crow call? I know there needs to be a little more time between the first frame to the plane crash/flyby, which is what I was talking about earlier when I posted this comment to Stoo about it:
Once MJ posts his smooth edit, I can tool around with my intro. I wanted to anyway, so no problem there.

I should have been more clear, but I didn't think it mattered at the time. :eek: I can do it, and even started to, but it was good enough for an audio mock up, so I figured I'd leave it alone until we needed it. I'll do something a little better with MJ's new mix, which should be on it's way.

Of course, I'm assuming that's what you mean. Are we talking about the same thing?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indi?s Brother

This is my fault for not waiting for a definitive breakdown. I was just trying difference variations to give the raven a reason to be their, so just ignore it until you have it locked down.

Ignore what I wrote about cues, I meant scene.

But here?s my thinking in terms of the results

8 secs of far too short for the amount of info needed. The paramount logo is 18 secs long and I want to emulate that kind of movement of the camera towards the mountain.

For this scene to work for me I need a reason for the raven to be there. That?s why I?ve perched it on a mail box (possibly with ?something? production on it) so it?s a proper part of the scene. The pan, possibly a bit showy, I feel will set the tone of expectation for the rest of the animation.

Within the 8 secs I could perch the bird on a low ridge pull the camera out to revel the paramount mountain. Have the airplane come for behind the camera towards the bird, scare the bird (not keen on killing it) fly around the mountain crash the logo, bellow smoke, cut to the plane limping away into a nice sun set and fade to the indy tooling scene.