Inglourious Basterds

sandiegojones

Looks like a comedic take on Valkyrie (even though I know that's not intended). Even the poster looks similar. I like Pitt in weird roles, but I think this'll bomb.

AlivePoet

sandiegojones said:
Looks like a comedic take on Valkyrie (even though I know that's not intended). Even the poster looks similar. I like Pitt in weird roles, but I think this'll bomb.

I think it simplifies very complex issues that some people are still sensitive toward. Granted, that's Tarantino's style, and the Indiana Jones series has done the same... but from what I've seen, this film looks like it's a stupid action flick made to appeal to anti-Nazi hypocrites who think it's cool to say "Nazis ain't got no humanity" and to kill them as such.

bennihana123

Since not all German soldiers in WWII were necessarily supporters of the Nazi party, this movie sort of disturbs me with its 'mindless killing' attitude.

But its Quentin Tarantino, so I'll hopefully like it.

WillKill4Food

sandiegojones said:
Looks like a comedic take on Valkyrie (even though I know that's not intended).
That's the one thing that really kills me. So soon after Valkyrie, you'd think that they'd have a better idea than merely "Hey, let's try to blow up Hitler...again"

sandiegojones said:
...but I think this'll bomb.
Nah. It's Tarantino, plus Pitt. It will be a box-office success, I think, for at least the first weekend. Whether or not it is actually worth watching is another thing entirely, though.

Grizzlor

What's so funny is every time a new Tarantino movie comes out, I see the trailer and think, this movie looks totally idiotic and stupid. So I don't bother seeing it, but then I catch it on cable or something, and love it. I'll never learn.

bennihana123

Grizzlor said:
What's so funny is every time a new Tarantino movie comes out, I see the trailer and think, this movie looks totally idiotic and stupid. So I don't bother seeing it, but then I catch it on cable or something, and love it. I'll never learn.
Usually Tarantino films are impossible to market. I love em all, though :D

Joe Brody

WillKill4Food said:
That's the one thing that really kills me. So soon after Valkyrie, you'd think that they'd have a better idea than merely "Hey, let's try to blow up Hitler...again"

You might want to check the development-hell-turned-release Hell that was Valkyrie. That flic was on the shelves for awhile.

. . . .but not as long as Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has been developing this bad boy for a long, long time.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
You might want to check the development-hell-turned-release Hell that was Valkyrie. That flic was on the shelves for awhile.

. . . .but not as long as Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino has been developing this bad boy for a long, long time.

Hope that it is not over produced, as he has a tendency to do.

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:

From the interview I read in Creative Screenwriting, the idea was rattling around in Tarantino's head for years and years, but strictly speaking it wasn't in "development hell" as he just banged out the screenplay last year.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
From the interview I read in Creative Screenwriting, the idea was rattling around in Tarantino's head for years and years, but strictly speaking it wasn't in "development hell" as he just banged out the screenplay last year.

I can't remeber where I read it but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge that there were prior discarded drafts of the script.

Le Saboteur

Joe Brody said:
I can't remeber where I read it but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge that there were prior discarded drafts of the script.

I'd take that challenge too. I definitely recall QT talking about Basterds back when he was finishing up From Dusk Til Dawn. In that release they were supposed to be Israelis hunting down Nazis in post-WWII South America.

Deadlock

Yes, it was in his head a long time, all I'm saying is that it wasn't in "development hell" per se.

Direct quote from the CS article:

"It's not this thing that I've been working on forever," insists writer-director Quentin Tarantino about his own Inglourious Basterds. "Pretty much the only thing that's left in the script from what I started back in '98 are the first two chapters... I never finished it. Literally, the story and everything else, I did in 2008."

muttjones

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "two story lines converge: One follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers whose mission is to take down as many Nazis as they can get, and the other follows a young Jewish woman who seeks to avenge the death of her family at the hands of the sinister SS colonel known as 'The Jew Hunter'".

does this second storyline still because i didnt see any part of it in the trailer.

Le Saboteur

muttjones said:
According to The Hollywood Reporter, "two story lines converge: One follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers whose mission is to take down as many Nazis as they can get, and the other follows a young Jewish woman who seeks to avenge the death of her family at the hands of the sinister SS colonel known as 'The Jew Hunter'".

does this second storyline still because i didnt see any part of it in the trailer.

I say stop reading about it now; you'll only end up irritated by the time it does hit screens. But, yes, I can see that in the trailer -- the blonde.

Joe Brody

Le Saboteur said:
In that release they were supposed to be Israelis hunting down Nazis in post-WWII South America.

Sadly, this sounds a lot cooler than what is being served up. Why don't we get more South America in films? I thought Motorcyle Diaries and the recent Che flic would blow things wide open -- but as is often the case -- I was wrong. Evidently people would rather film in Spain and Lake Coumo.

Deadlock said:
Yes, it was in his head a long time, all I'm saying is that it wasn't in "development hell" per se.

[jokingly]Spare me your per se. All I'm saying is that when you write/produce/direct and act in your own movies, kicking various versions of your own scripts around for years is development Hell. Plus I never said it was in H*ll.

Last edited:

TheMutt92

Going offtrack a bit here, but... seeing the ads for Public Enemies makes me Marion Cottilard would have been fantastic in this movie. IDK, I could be wrong... just a thought.

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
[jokingly]Spare me your per se. All I'm saying is that when you write/produce/direct and act in your own movies, kicking various versions of your own scripts around for years is development Hell. Plus I never said it was in H*ll.

Come now... I haven't made a nuisance of myself in a long time. :p

TheMutt92

Le Saboteur said:
Trailer #4 is up at Apple's Movie Trailer site.

Why am I now thinking that this is going to be a cross between The Dirty Dozen & Ocean's 11? Dramatic tension: out the window!

Crud! I don't have quicktime on my comp and don't have enough time to install. Anything substantially new, and is this already on youtube?