Should I go back to school?

blueoakleyz

I just graduated from college and there are no jobs out there.

So I guess the only thing to do is go back and get a masters in something,, but what?
what are some enjoyable high paying fields with a masters?

Hell what are some masters that are guaranteed to just get me a job?

The Drifter

I have no idea.
After school I done a stint in the USMC, and after that landed a job here in my home-county.

It depends on if you want a job now or want one later when you have a masters.
How old are you, if I may ask?

Lao Che Pun

What's your undergraduate degree in? That's the first question. That will decide how narrow your scope in the job market is.

I went back to get my Master's about 6 years after getting my Bachelor's, but only because I sought a different career direction.

Do you hope to stay in the same field you studied for your bachelor's, and assume a Master's will give you more clout and leverage in the application process?

I guess we need to get the first question out of the way before moving on. I'll tell you this, though......grad school ain't cheap. And paying it back is a horrid experience you'll have to endure for half a lifetime.

blueoakleyz

Lao Che Pun said:
What's your undergraduate degree in? That's the first question. That will decide how narrow your scope in the job market is.

I went back to get my Master's about 6 years after getting my Bachelor's, but only because I sought a different career direction.

Do you hope to stay in the same field you studied for your bachelor's, and assume a Master's will give you more clout and leverage in the application process?

I guess we need to get the first question out of the way before moving on. I'll tell you this, though......grad school ain't cheap. And paying it back is a horrid experience you'll have to endure for half a lifetime.

Biology. I really don't like it or want to work in it. Definately don't want to do research in it or teach it or anything. Really no biology jobs. So I'd definately want a masters in something else

I would basically depend on financial aid otherwise I'm SOL

Lao Che Pun

blueoakleyz said:
Biology. I really don't like it or want to work in it. Definately don't want to do research in it or teach it or anything. Really no biology jobs. So I'd definately want a masters in something else

I would basically depend on financial aid otherwise I'm SOL

Why did you originally choose Biology? Did you want to teach it or something and then just change your mind?

Most people attend grad school to get a Master's Degree in something they have already recieved a Bachelor's in (or something similiar). If you want a career change, you might want to look at another Bachelor's degree...or perhaps some specialty training in a particular field?

Indy fan 235

Lonsome_Drifter said:
There is no shame in working anywhere. :D

Thank you for saying that. I don't have a flashy job or do anything cool or exciting. I work hard, get my hands dirty and get sweaty from my work. I feel that sometimes I should be like the young guys I see my age in their suits. What I do I do to support my wife and kids, sometimes I am a bit let down I do this work, but it puts food in their stomachs and clothes on their backs.

What you said made me feel good. I guess sometimes we let the fear of what others think rule our thoughts.

I appreciate your post more than you know.

The Drifter

Indy fan 235 said:
Thank you for saying that. I don't have a flashy job or do anything cool or exciting. I work hard, get my hands dirty and get sweaty from my work. I feel that sometimes I should be like the young guys I see my age in their suits. What I do I do to support my wife and kids, sometimes I am a bit let down I do this work, but it puts food in their stomachs and clothes on their backs.

What you said made me feel good. I guess sometimes we let the fear of what others think rule our thoughts.

You sound like myself.
I too never held any flashy jobs, or worked in the comfort of a air-contioned office. I was in the USMC for three years and working in the logging industry for 4 years, and now I am in the coalmines.

People seem to look down on others who work at fast-food places, factories, or physical-labor jobs.

As long as one works to support themseves or better yet; their familes. They all should <b>NEVER</b> be ashamed.

Insomniac

BM1141.jpg

THIS HELPED ME !!!​

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Indy fan 235 said:

Here's something else that might make you feel better. My father didn't ever get the opportunity to go to university. He's a real smart guy, he would have been a great lawyer or something in law. So he learnt a trade and became an electrician. For something like 25 years, my Dad tolled, worked hard whiole all the white collar's would turn their noses up at him. He was very good at his job and one day, had a work accident resulting in back arthitis and the loss of sensivity in two fingers. He then had to do less steneous work... long story short, he got promoted a little, but promises weren't kept.

So he left and was promoted to a really high position: he became a branch operations manager at an American-owned international air con company. From there he change jobs again, and got a better job with less stress and more money. So there he is, no degree just a diploma and electrical licence and is running the branch of a national company. He finally got somewhere he enjoyed doing and gets better pay and needs not to toll ever again.

blueoakleyz

Lao Che Pun said:
Why did you originally choose Biology? Did you want to teach it or something and then just change your mind?

Most people attend grad school to get a Master's Degree in something they have already recieved a Bachelor's in (or something similiar). If you want a career change, you might want to look at another Bachelor's degree...or perhaps some specialty training in a particular field?

Originally wanted to be a scientist, do genetics or stemcell research. And yeah, changed my mind way too late so I had to finish.

Going into a masters program of something unrelated isn't going to be a problem. The most I would have to do is take a semester's worth of undergrad courses.

Lao Che Pun

blueoakleyz said:
Originally wanted to be a scientist, do genetics or stemcell research. And yeah, changed my mind way too late so I had to finish.

Going into a masters program of something unrelated isn't going to be a problem. The most I would have to do is take a semester's worth of undergrad courses.

Ah, I see.......well I would definitely do some research and decide what you want to do before getting back into school. At today's education costs....I'd not want to play around in grad school.

Here's a listing of the Top 10 Fastest-Growing Job Markets:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/02/technology/business2_nextjobboom_hotjobs/index.htm

Good luck to you.