Utah, 1912 (the thread)

Raiders90

I thought I'd make a thread specifically about the Utah, 1912 sequence of LC. It's basically a mini film within a mini film (In that it's prelude to an adventure we see the end of, which acts as the film's main prologue). We learn a lot about Indiana in this brief glimpse back into a distant past--Where he got his scar, his fedora, his fear of snakes, and even the model for his attire as Indy.

Essentially, that fateful day in the summer of 1912 was the moment where Indiana Jones, the adventurer we all love, began to be conceived within the psyche of Henry Jones, Jr. Now, obviously over a decade would pass before the two "identities" if you will would fully come together--But here was the genesis of it in many ways.

We see already that by age 13, Indy has a considerable knowledge of obscure, forgotten artifacts--and a profound respect and desire for them. We see he already knows at least one foreign language. We see that archaeology as an interest is something already ingrained in him. But there's an honorable side to it--"It belongs in a museum"--An idealistic sense of protecting relics that Jones later lost until 1936.

We see a lot of things which give us a portrait of where he came from--His father barely acknowledges his existence; His father's a man more concerned with enlightenment that could come from the mythical Holy Grail than with what his son might have to say. We see however that this knowledge, this love of the ancient world and it's relics is shared between father and son--albeit in different ways. Indy is even at this young age largely on his own--His mother is dead and outside of Herman his only other real companion is his dog, Indiana.

He learns and gains quite a few things in this important day in his life: One that nefarious men will obtain for profit what he sees are priceless relics; That for a price, even the honorable town Sheriff can look a blind eye at illegalities; He learns that a whip can become a valuable tool, and painful weapon; He gains a lifelong, pathological fear of snakes, and he gains his trusty, beloved hat as a consolation prize for losing the Cross--and that hat accompanies him through World War and even possibly into his middle age (Depending on if you believe the hat is [in canon] the same hat in all four movies)

While some (myself included) have joked at the improbable nature of one day holding such importance, and of the oddness of Indy fashioning his adventuring attire off of Fedora's, it is actually a fun romp and one of the more believable events in the Indy universe.

If we can accept one man finding the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy Grail, the Sankara Stones, Akator, and dozens of other artifacts (both in on screen adventures and in the novels), as well as a man surviving a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge, or a couple of hundred foot fall in a boat, or surviving the collapse of a rope bridge and subsequent slam into a mountain side, or Indy surviving the mine cart chase or being able to pull himself up against a truck, and him meeting many of the most important figures of the early/mid 20th century, as well as being a Spy during WWI and WWII--Then I think we can accept the events of Utah, 1912 as just a "typical day" for Indy.

It's a VERY important moment in the story of Indiana Jones and the development of him as a character--perhaps THE most important that we see on screen--and is an exciting, Hardy Boy-esque adventure, with a rollicking, fun, energetic score to boot, and, like the later Wyoming, 1950, it's a short adventure of it's own--And very much unique in the universe of Indiana Jones.

Raiders90

I know I at times can't overlook the hokeyness of the scene, but at times it's one of my favorite scenes in the entire trilogy. There's just so much energy to the scene and it has a great feel, like a Hardy Boy's adventure playing out in front of you. I suppose in the final analysis the hokeyness isn't that big a deal at all, I mean, hokey unbelievable events are part of the series. And I found the character of Fedora and his sleazy crew really mysterious and interesting.

Mungi

Caidanbi said:
And the scenery is really gorgeous...

I have been there four years ago! It's a great place. I uploaded a slideshow on YouTube, you can guess with what music track.;)

Mephisto

They should have either adjusted Indiana Jones birth date or the date of this flash back because now knowing the birth date given to Indiana Jones I just can buy young Indy only being 13 there. He looks way to old do that age.

Raiders90

Mephisto said:
They should have either adjusted Indiana Jones birth date or the date of this flash back because now knowing the birth date given to Indiana Jones I just can buy young Indy only being 13 there. He looks way to old do that age.

I don't see the problem. Looking at old photos, it seems younger kids actually looked older years ago then they do now. I remember in my high school they had along the wall photos of each graduating class going back from around 1935 through the early 1960s. In a lot of the 1930s and 1940s ones, these people were around 17 or 18 but could easily pass for 25. Or in my own family album, there's a family photo from 1933. My grandfather was 13. But if you saw him, you'd think you were looking at least a 16 year old, if not a 20 year old.

Crack that whip

Mephisto said:

FWIW, he was apparently supposed to be thirteen in that scene even when the movie first came out in '89, years before The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles came out and nailed down his specific birthday. The movie's novelization, written concurrently with the movie's production, states that none of the scouts was more than thirteen years old (save for Mr. Havelock the scoutmaster, of course), right in the first paragraph.

I know River Phoenix was a few years older when the scene was shot, but I can buy the character being a thirteen-year-old; it's right at the lower extreme of the range of plausible ages based on his appearance, but it's still in there, I think. And looking at it from a later viewpoint informed by all the subsequent continuity, he certainly does fit in nicely between Corey Carrier's appearances and Sean Patrick Flanery's, apparent age-wise.

fenris

Well, I agree that he does look a lot older than 13... In my eyes, he looks like a 16 year old.

The Drifter

I've never been a fan of this sequence, but I love how you described it Raiders. Honestly by reading your opening post, it made me want to go get my dvd and watch that scene again.
But, I think a lot of people's problem with it is how implausible it is that Indy got almost all of his characteristics in the span of a few short hours (as you yourself have mentioned). I hated how they felt they had to spoon-feed us this information on screen, when it was better to just leave some things unexplained for the sake of mystery.
It's good on action and scenery, but felt out-of-place compared to the two previous opening-adventures. At least in my humble opinion.

StoneTriple

I like a lot of the sequence. Great pacing, great scenery, great intro into the Grail theme music, and a fun look at Indy as a kid. However, I always cringe at how stupid it is that the whip, the hat, the jacket, the scar, and the fear of snakes all happen in about a 30-minute span of Indy's life.

Those things should have taken decades to develop, not minutes. More importantly, those aspects of his character should have been left to the viewers' imaginations. He was much more interesting as a character at the opening of Raiders because he was dark and mysterious.

The four films as a whole have very few story\timeline gaffes, but that's a colossal one to me.

InexorableTash

Is there a date for Indy's Utah adventure? We're coming up on 100 years. Could be fun to retro-tweet it. (And whatever is the micro blogging hawtness in 2016)

WilliamBoyd8

One thing that I could never figure out was that if Prof. Jones (Indy's father)
was only interested in researching the Holy Grail, what was he doing in rural Utah?

:)

Colonel Corey

This scene is one of my favorites... I love the way yound Indy attempts jumping on his horse... But then the horse moves, sending him butt-first right on the ground. :rolleyes:

Cool stunt of River Pheonix, by the way. (y)