TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
roundshort
IndyFan

greatest horror movie ever

I am easy, Friday the 13 1 to 4. All classics, i love how Jason just kills people. No real real reason, no chit chat. just, Whack.
Who are your favorites?
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I like the Evil Dead movies, and Army of Darkness.
I also like the real cheesy stuff such as Santa Sleigh, Silent Night Deadly Night, Prom Night, etc.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I like the Evil Dead movies, and Army of Darkness.
I also like the real cheesy stuff such as Santa Sleigh, Silent Night Deadly Night, Prom Night, etc.

nice all good stuff! big evil dead fan here, what is the cheesiest you have seen?
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
ResidentAlien

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...ghlight=horror
http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...ghlight=horror

Epic failure to search.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
TREN KROM
IndyFan

My all time favorite would be Halloween. Michael Myers was one demented child. Other good ones were Nightmare on Elm street, and Friday the Thirteenth.
TREN KROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
TravisBickle
IndyFan

Alien and Jacob's Ladder. Exorcist 3>Exorcist.
TravisBickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
The Man
IndyFan

"There is only one..."

One of the greatest movies ever made. Period.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Classic Universal monster movies. Creature from the black lagoon, the mummy, Frankenstein. Etc Etc
RelicHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Connery's Toupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
"There is only one..."

One of the greatest movies ever made. Period.

Wow! I'm a huge Coronation Street fan but I must have missed this episode.
Connery's Toupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connery's Toupe
Wow! I'm a huge Coronation Street fan but I must have missed this episode.

Oh, it was a classic! Sarah became possessed by the putrid spirit of Richard Hillman. After much face-mugging, the sexy Gail had no choice but to summon the boys in black.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
deckard24
IndyFan

It's a two-way split for me!

deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
IndysGal41
IndyFan

Texas chainsaw masssacre ....original movie

IndysGal41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
nice all good stuff! big evil dead fan here, what is the cheesiest you have seen?

Troll 2 by far. That is one awesome movie.
Also Skeleton Man runs at a close second!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
The Drifter
IndyFan

I bought two old favorites at the mall yesterday. I enjoyed an evening of watching mindless fun, and splattering liquids.
I just love the cheesy horror flicks. The cheesier the better. Does anyone have any to recommend?

Oh, and the two I bought were:

1-Killer Klowns From Outer Space
2-Class of Nuk'em High

EDIT: I was gonna also purchase the first three Leprechaun movies. But, I passed. I wish now that I did...

Last edited by The Drifter : 01-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
EDIT: I was gonna also purchase the first three Leprechaun movies. But, I passed. I wish now that I did...
No doubt, what makes for a better time than Stoned out Crips and or Bloods vs an Irishman's Drunken Delusions?

...and in one case Jennifer Aniston!

Last edited by Rocket Surgeon : 01-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
No doubt, what makes for a better time than Stoned out Crips and or Bloods vs an Irishman's Drunken Delusions?

Tell me about it.
I already own Leprechaun In tha Hood, and it's sequel! Should I be ashamed?
Oh, and ever watch Tales From the Hood? What an under-rated horror anthology
Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I've never seen a Leprechaun. Though I did meet an Irish midget with a drink problem.

Greatest horror movie ever made?

Too many to pick just one. Since movies are influenced by one another, maybe go back to the really early ones, when they were truly original to the screen, like Nosferatu, which was more creepy than horrific.

In more recent times I'm drawn to Alien, The Thing, Silent Hill, The Shining. Films about individuals isolated and faced with constant threat.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I've never seen a Leprechaun. Though I did meet an Irish midget with a drink problem.

Greatest horror movie ever made?

Too many to pick just one. Since movies are influenced by one another, maybe go back to the really early ones, when they were truly original to the screen, like Nosferatu, which was more creepy than horrific.

In more recent times I'm drawn to Alien, The Thing, Silent Hill, The Shining. Films about individuals isolated and faced with constant threat.

Nosferatu was very awesome. The shot of his shadow creeping up the stairs is one of the most creepy images in horror IMO.
If you like the feeling of isolation and something threatening lurking everywhere; movies based from Steven King's novels are like that (you already mentioned The Shinning).
Such as The Mist, Cujo, and even Misery to a certain extent.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Nosferatu was very awesome. The shot of his shadow creeping up the stairs is one of the most creepy images in horror IMO.
If you like the feeling of isolation and something threatening lurking everywhere; movies based from Steven King's novels are like that (you already mentioned The Shinning).
Such as The Mist, Cujo, and even Misery to a certain extent.

Stephen King books/movies don't really do much for me. The Shining is a major exception - that big old hotel full of ghosts...

My favourite horror author is James Herbert, but I don't think many of his books made it to the screen.

A while back I rewatched the Jaws series. There's still something terrifying about that shark. Even in the worst of the movies (Revenge? The one with Michael Caine), the dark shape of that killing machine appearing under the surface of the water, announced by it's own theme tune, is a powerful one. You can't reason with a shark, which makes it all the more dangerous, and that feeling extends to zombie movies: feral creatures that just want to kill, and can't be reasoned with not to.

Omega Man is another favourite film. Another isolated character surrounded by constant danger. But it was also an inspirational movie, about the possibilities open to someone who's left virtually alone: to go anywhere, and do anything. But the likelihood of finding dead bodies or vampires/mutants, is the obvious downside.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
The Drifter
IndyFan

(Maybe spoilers for the old movie 'Cujo' in the post below)

Yes, Jaws is great. The feeling of being miles out on the open sea with a HUGE killer shark. That thought terrifies me.
I guess that is why I enjoy the movie Cujo. The main character is trapped with a slowly dying child while a large and deadly dog with rabies hounds their every chance of escape.
And, don't feel bad Montana. I enjoy the sequels to Jaws.

Never seen Omega Man, but it sounds interesting. I am gonna look into that flick.
I watched one last night with the wife that I've never seen (she already seen it before, she is a huge horror fan and has literally hundreds of horror movies), it was called The Video Dead. It was cheesy and fun and had zombies. So it was a good time in my book.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
(Maybe spoilers for the old movie 'Cujo' in the post below)

Yes, Jaws is great. The feeling of being miles out on the open sea with a HUGE killer shark. That thought terrifies me.
I guess that is why I enjoy the movie Cujo. The main character is trapped with a slowly dying child while a large and deadly dog with rabies hounds their every chance of escape.
And, don't feel bad Montana. I enjoy the sequels to Jaws.

Never seen Omega Man, but it sounds interesting. I am gonna look into that flick.

Omega Man was Charlton Heston's take on the Richard Matheson novel, I Am Legend, which in itself is a great read.

Quote:
I watched one last night with the wife that I've never seen (she already seen it before, she is a huge horror fan and has literally hundreds of horror movies), it was called The Video Dead. It was cheesy and fun and had zombies. So it was a good time in my book.

Never heard of that one.

The original Romero Day of the Dead gave me nightmares after I first saw it on video.

Dead Snow is still my favourite zombie flick, for great black comedy laughs.

Zombi 2 is memorable for the shark attacking the zombie, and for the girl who decides to take a dip..

The Fog is a classic that I think still stands the test of time.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Rocket Surgeon

The Omen...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
[i]
The original Romero Day of the Dead gave me nightmares after I first saw it on video.

Dead Snow is still my favourite zombie flick, for great black comedy laughs.

Zombi 2 is memorable for the shark attacking the zombie, and for the girl who decides to take a dip..

The Fog is a classic that I think still stands the test of time.

I enjoyed the original Day of the Dead as well. But, I like Romero's Night of the Living Dead the best. I also love the 90s remake.
Zombi 2 never done it for me. I heard great things about it and bought it on dvd a few years ago, and never really liked it at all.

I also enjoy Return of the Living Dead for the camp-factor. Also, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is another favorite, but not many people have ever watched it.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #24
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

The Exorcist still spooks me.

Funny Games doesn't necessarily scare me, but it makes me damn uncomfortable.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #25
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
The Exorcist still spooks me.

I've never seen it. When I was at school it was spoken of in tones of reverence as the most shocking thing ever comimtted to film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
Funny Games doesn't necessarily scare me, but it makes me damn uncomfortable.

The Happening fits that description for me. The subject matter is very disturbing, especially the scenes on the building site. The story was presented with an understated manner, making the happenings more horrific.

Cloverfield comes close as well to presenting a more realistic horror, but the constantly shifting camera gives me motion sickeness!