TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
MDew
IndyFan
 
MDew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 161
I made another interesting discovery: The cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were lifted from (but digitally altered first) the 1977 film Julia, starring Jane Fonda.



There is also a steam engine shot in London 1916 that I am convinced is taken from the film as well, but have yet to confirm it.
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
MDew
IndyFan
 
MDew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 161
As Stoo mentioned previously, large portions of the town bombing scene in "Trenches of Hell" were taken right from "All Quiet on the Western Front." In fact, it appears that the only shots they didn't use from that sequence were the reaction shots of Indy & Emile and their subsequent escape from the town (which was obviously shot at another location). Strangely enough, it does appear that a few of the shots are from alternate angles - maybe they got their hands on some cut footage...
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
I made another interesting discovery: The cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were lifted from (but digitally altered first) the 1977 film Julia, starring Jane Fonda.
MDew, I've been meaning to reply to your last 2 posts for a while but you know how real life can get in the way, eh?

WELL DONE on the "Julia" discovery! You have the eye of a hawk, my friend. I would have never, ever found that! "Hollywood Follies" is not a chapter that I've watched as often as some of the others and, as such, am not intimately familiar with it. Those 2 shots are rather mundane so it's pretty amazing that you actually noticed them. Bravo! Funnily enough, I remember the rave about "Julia" when the film came out but it's one of the few Jane Fonda movies from the '70s & '80s that I have not seen.

Your find is not only a superb addition to the catalogue but also an extraordinary one because it's the first reported case of the borrowed film being digitally modified. Colour correction was obviously done with "Operation Crossbow" but the changes to the "Julia" footage, as can be seen in your comparison, are much more complicated. (Ex. adding more windows).

---
In the early '80s, my mom used to do the Jane Fonda Workout at home, going along with the vinyl LP or VHS. Couldn't be done with headphones so certain parts are ingrained in my brain.

"And 1…and 2…and 3…and...Woo-o-o-oh! Hot cross buns!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
As Stoo mentioned previously, large portions of the town bombing scene in "Trenches of Hell" were taken right from "All Quiet on the Western Front." In fact, it appears that the only shots they didn't use from that sequence were the reaction shots of Indy & Emile and their subsequent escape from the town (which was obviously shot at another location). Strangely enough, it does appear that a few of the shots are from alternate angles - maybe they got their hands on some cut footage...
Cut footage is possible. I'll have to go over this one again because your comparison shots have me thinking that there may have been some digital alteration? I am very intrigued about this. Good eye, again!

By the way, it's very cool that your comparison shots are in line with my graphic for "Operation Crossbow". I'd just suggest using a hard edge black for the white lettering's drop shadow because it makes the text easier to read on a small scale. (Next time I make one, the original shots will be left-justified, like you have done. Makes more sense in a chronological way.)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan
 
WilliamBoyd8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 655
I'm wondering if the cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were not taken
from "Julia" but were filmed at the same area with the same house.

I saw "Julia" recently, it is a good film, but probably not a "true story",
as it claims.

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #30
MDew
IndyFan
 
MDew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 161
The Julia cabin find was totally by accident, I was watching the film looking for the steam engine that also appeared in YIJC (thinking it was also a stolen shot). I just think its a little strange that YIJC does not give credit to the original films in the credits...
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #31
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBoyd8
I'm wondering if the cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were not taken from "Julia" but were filmed at the same area with the same house.

I saw "Julia" recently, it is a good film, but probably not a "true story",
as it claims.
By all accounts (including yours, WillyBoyd), "Julia" is supposed to be an excellent film. Can't wait to watch it, but if you notice MDew's juxtapositions, you'll see that the angles & waves are the same. Without any doubt, it is borrowed footage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
The Julia cabin find was totally by accident, I was watching the film looking for the steam engine that also appeared in YIJC (thinking it was also a stolen shot).
How freaky. This makes *2* Jane Fonda films where footage was taken from!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
I just think its a little strange that YIJC does not give credit to the original films in the credits...
Agreed, however, one of the DVDs *does* give credit to an older film and I have it! Stay tuned for a side-by-side comparison...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.