• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Arty pic of my Raiders Jacket just chucked on the sofa with my notebook on top of it. :hat:

Raiders_Jacket.jpg

micsteam

I got a Steele and Jones Raiders in Ribby Marino in October this year, I like it but really haven't had a chance to break it in since it's been so hot here in South Florida ! I'll post pics soon. :hat:

Glenville86

I don't want to sound negative about the BK jacket but if given the choice to do over, would not have bought it.

I had a Todds latest run jacket and it was not that far off in looks from the BK. I ended up giving the Todds jacket to charity because it had a strange smell to it. I left it outside many days but the smell stayed on it. Was not even a leather but more like a chemical odor. The smell soaked into whatever shirt I was wearing after taking the jacket off.

The Kelso is a very nice jacket and I understand they price themselves up there with the big boys but to be honest, I like my G&B Expedition in goat way more than the Kelso. I guess I bought into the BK hype over on COW where folks were saying it was "The Jacket" to own. It is a nice and well made jacket but I don't wear it much at all.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
I guess I bought into the BK hype over on COW where folks were saying it was "The Jacket" to own. It is a nice and well made jacket but I don't wear it much at all.

Why not? Looking at the pictures it seems to be a top notch replica of the Raiders jacket. Available in two of the screen used styles from the film.

Glenville86

Major West said:
Why not? Looking at the pictures it seems to be a top notch replica of the Raiders jacket. Available in two of the screen used styles from the film.

I never implied it was not a nice jacket and it is pretty close I suppose to the movie jackets in the 1st film. I have Indy jackets from other makers that I personally like more than the BK. I am not a cosplay type. The BK for some is the "holy grail" of current production Indy jackets for some. I also had a Wested Hero jacket that I did not care for and passed it along. That said, I have other Wested Indy jackets I really like. Again, the Kelso jacket is a great jacket for the right person depending on what they are looking for. I just like some of the other offerings available on the market more than the BK jacket.

Major West

I see, you prefer wearing the other one, for comfort presumably. It certainly looks like the better option for screen accuracy. However it is expensive and I also am not a cosplayer, so I'm not sure if it would be the jacket I would go for based on the price.

Last edited:

Drones33

Agreed. The BK tempted me for a while; it looks fantastic and, as Glenville says, it is kind of referred to as THE one to have. Realistically though, would I pay £500 for it? I doubt it. Not when it's possible to have a Wested custom made, in a choice of hides and styles for less than half that amount.
So for me, certainly in this part of the world, Wested is the one.
By the way, after some advice from you boys, and after wrestling with myself for some time, I decided to sell the Wested Hero I'd bought. Beautiful leather, and as I said, very comfy. Just way too huge. I'm not particularly bulky and wearing a jacket that was in real terms about two sizes too big, despite what the label said, just didn't work. And the colour I think is all wrong; too pale. So, back to the drawing board. I want something lightweight for the summer, so I'm thinking maybe a custom made Raiders in either authentic or dark lamb...
We'll see.

Major West

Arrived today.. Pre-distressed Hide.. Raiders :whip:

20160113_140148.jpg

The before opening pic.

Anyway, really pleased with the jacket. It's thicker of course. I was curious as to how it would feel, seeing as I've got Authentic lambskin Raiders, ToD and TLC wested jackets and this one is hide. It does feel more like a winter jacket, or a going outdoors jacket. You feel like you're wearing protection, but it's perfectly comfortable. After ten minutes of wearing it, it was part of me. (y) Can't wait to see how it wears in after a week or two, which is how long it takes to loosen up apparently. Will post more pics of me wearing then.(y)

Major West

I took these the day after I got the jacket. By comparison my lambskin jackets feel like slipping on a cardigan now.

Raiders Pre-distressed Hide. Click the thumbnail for bigger pic:

If you don't already own a LC jacket I think this skin would be a good option. As above though, I really like the jacket. It's thicker, a little heavier, but the more it's worn the more it breaks in. Already had some 'that's a cool jacket' looks from people.

Last edited:

Drones33

Preaching to the converted

Indy McFly said:
Why mess with the imitators, go with the real deal at Wested.

Agreed.
Like a few of the gentlemen on this forum I already have several Westeds, in fact my new Hero in shrunken lamb arrived this week, replacing the Ill-fitting one I posted pics of in this thread, and it's a thing of beauty. Wested, in my opinion, consistently deliver the highest quality product and very best customer service I've encountered.
However I believe a healthy curiosity about other manufacturers is not a bad thing, from the allegedly ultra-screen-accurate Bill Kelso to the apparently shoddy Todds.

Drones33

Major West said:
I took these the day after I got the jacket. By comparison my lambskin jackets feel like slipping on a cardigan now.

Raiders Pre-distressed Hide. Click the thumbnail for bigger pic:

If you don't already own a LC jacket I think this skin would be a good option. As above though, I really like the jacket. It's thicker, a little heavier, but the more it's worn the more it breaks in. Already had some 'that's a cool jacket' looks from people.

Great looking jacket Major, you wear it well. (y)

Indy McFly

Drones33 said:
Agreed.
Like a few of the gentlemen on this forum I already have several Westeds, in fact my new Hero in shrunken lamb arrived this week, replacing the Ill-fitting one I posted pics of in this thread, and it's a thing of beauty. Wested, in my opinion, consistently deliver the highest quality product and very best customer service I've encountered.
However I believe a healthy curiosity about other manufacturers is not a bad thing, from the allegedly ultra-screen-accurate Bill Kelso to the apparently shoddy Todds.

Another important factor I think, is the level of customer care AFTER the sale. Wested contacted me about 2 weeks after to make sure I was still happy with the jacket. Their customer service is top notch, and they HIGHLY value their reputation.

Glenville86

I have quite a few Wested Indy jackets. They are really good jackets especially for the prices they charge. I had one glitch on a brown cowhide jacket where I ordered the hidden snap on the bottom and they forgot to do one side. I have 1/2 a snap. (n) I had one in their shrunken lamb and just did not like the leather at all. That is just a personal thing though. I ordered a custom long jacket from them I ended up giving to charity. Really weird the way the jacket fit at the arm entrance. Could only move my arms a few feet up. Felt like the opening to the arms was connected to the waist. Their Indy jackets are excellent.

US Wings - their legend jackets are really nice. The signature series I had was a bad fit even though the sleeves and length were fine. It was just too baggy.

S&J - both jackets I have are excellent.

WPG Indy Jacket - good for the price as an entry level jacket.

Todds - I had one from the latest batch and it was good for the money. It had a similar thing going on with the liner where it was not snug on the jacket. Liner would show below the sleeves slightly and on the Todds, the liner had to be shifted to zip the jacket. I gave it to charity because it had a strong chemical smell that would not go away after months.

BK - I have already discussed in this thread.