Favorite Moments in Emperors Tomb?

Zucot

This thread will likely contain spoilers, so look out!

One of my favorite moments is the whole Drill chase near the end of the game...that whole section was fast paced, and just fun to play.

I also liked the little chime puzzle near the end of the game, where you had to memorize four different chime patterns, and play them out. It was cool how all of the patterns put together made up the raiders march...(dunno if anyone else caught that little tidbit.)

Pog Zig

Yes

Whoa, there's way too many.

For one I liked the four 'missions' in Prague where you went to the library, the clock tower, etc. because it made the level seem more grand than it is and it just seemed cool to be going around the whole place.

I also liked the first Istanbul level. I wish it was larger! But it was very fun. It reminded me alot of the Cairo scenes in Raiders, but I love those escape scenes where the dude escapes from a building and fights his way out of the whole place. I was very excited about the Istanbul levels but after finding out that it didn't have any other outside levels like this one kind of disappointed me.

Also the first three Black Dragon Castle/Mansion levels(Heehee, I was about to say "Black Label" for those of you who know what I'm taking about)
I like those kinds of levels where you sneak into places from the entrance and you get a good take on the whole place just from the first few levels. And plus, fighting those guards were my greatest fighting moments! But overall I just think it's cool the way Indy makes his way from the entrance all the way to the top of the tower the way he did and the fact that those levels are seemless!

The contrast between those three countries in the game is really cool. Usually in epic games like Star Wars games or Outlaws it's usually the same old textures but a million different locations and varying architecture, but in games where there's different cultures I think it rocks the way it makes you feel like you've gone really far and the work they went to to make the areas different. You can't use the same textures and colors in different countries.

Another thing I like is the whole Artifacts thing. After beating the game I spent all day yesterday going back to levels where I didn't find them and it was like a totally different game altogether. I like the fact that they're all different with different colors, names, etc. and that they're actually in REASONABLE areas. In Infernal Machine it seemed as if you'd find a medical kit in a tomb that hadn't been opened in two thousand years and you find the same idols, jewels and all everywhere and in the dumbest places. The artifacts in this game actually have their own locations! After you've seen the whole level there's still another room with another view to find.

There's just ONE artifact I have yet to collect and that's the jade tablet in the level where you hit the bells.

Gregoire Defence

You are right! There are too many!

My favorite part was the whole Ceylon level,

And the Temple level where Indy finds the Pa Chang

Also the clock puzzle in Prague was vert clever!

Nah, the brawl in the Goldern Lotus in Hong Kong!

Zucot said:
It was cool how all of the patterns put together made up the raiders march...(dunno if anyone else caught that little tidbit.)

I never knew this!:D

James

Pog, I agree completely about the artifacts. Not only are they cleverly hidden, but it's Indy-ish to get to track them down. I love that you are basically rewarded for searching everywhere in a level. (Btw, if I'm thinking of the right one, the Bells of the Dead artifact is pretty well-hidden!)

Okay, wait, favorite MOMENTS...

-crashing through the stain glass window and fighting a gestapo agent

-the wall trap!!! (opening of Astrologer's Clock level)

-jumping onto a parallel cable car, fighting a Nazi, taking down planes

-discovering a room and realizing that "nobody can make this jump"

-frantic chase from Nazi super tank

-being chased and attacked by a pair of legs (the terracotta statue variety, not the Feng twins!)

-throwing a Nazi off a ledge

[Edited by James on 03-02-2003 at 10:15 am]

Ferox

Though I haven't finished the game yet, there is one segment I encountered early on that was particularly thrilling:

After sneaking about the castle's parapets in Prague, I inched across a ledge to overhear some Nazi's conversing about their homesickness. I leapt from the shadows and Indy said
"Alright, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way."
Some intense fisticuffs ensued, and then, after tossing the soldiers into the waters below, Indy remarks with disdain
"They always choose the hard way."

What an excellent bit of business that was. A great game, to be sure.

James

I usually hug the wall, then turn the corner and open fire at that group of Nazis. It's one of the few times I don't go straight for tossing them over.

Speaking of which, one of my favorite Nazi-tossing moments is when Indy discovers the dig site in Istanbul. There are two Nazis he encounters that are standing by a ledge. It's almost as if the designers WANT you to chuck them over- as it occurs right after one of them says, "Just keep your eyes open." (Pretty funny, since they are looking the wrong way the entire time.)

RONDC20

Whats this I hear about a Drill Chase and Nazi Super Tank chase? I want more info on this please

Ronald C

Gregoire Defence

Von Beck chases Indy through the Emperor's Tomb with a Drill Tank. :D Basically you have to run away from it, while jumping and whiping over pits.

This is the hardest part of the game, I think I died here more then every other part of the game combined!

indydude

I got a great moment, in the Hong Kong opera house when all the guys come running in, I grabbed a chair and hit a guy with it and he flew back and hit another guy who went flying through a table, it was all something that seems like it is from a movie. the shotgun in Ceylon was also fun to play with.

Nox

Throwing people off edges was my favorite. And fist fighting. Shooting just isn't as fun now that I can pummel a guy to death.

Specifically, some areas of Ceylon were very enjoyable, a little Raiders-esque. The two Golden Lotus levels were great also.

I was going to say something about Istanbul.. but Pog Zig wrote exactly what I meant to say, so I won't!

lornconner

My favorite moment would have to be in Prague...

I was coming up the stairway on the tower where the nazi agent is smoking a cigarette on the railless balcony. I snuck up behind him and chucked him over the edge.

I turned around, chuckling to myself on the moment, and turned the camera around to watch myself walking back towards the stairs, and over Indys shoulder I see this nazi agent grab onto the edge of the balcony, pull himself back up, and try and grab me and throw me back over the edge!

Before I could say "Holy Crap!", I was engaged in a furious fist fight back on the balcony.

It was a great moment, and one that really had me congratulating the developers on giving the opponenets realistic AI. These guys really DON'T want to die!

Lorn

indydude

I had a cool moment at that part also, exept this time I died, well you see I ran up behind him and he did this move were he punched me with his elbow without looking, I fell down and when I got back up he grabbed me and and jumped off the ledge so we both died.

I like the Vega's Tower level where you find the Soul Crystal.
Okay, I fly onto the tower, catch the ledge, and walk forward. I see the Soul Cyrstal and snatch it. The door slams behind my back as the room starts filling up with toxic gas. I look around to try to find a way out. My air is going down fast. I see a bookcase and climb on it. I turn around and see a chain hanging from a ceiling. I swing on the chain through the stained glass window right as my health is turning red.:cool:
That was one of the coolest parts of playing ET.
I'm not making this up!