New Indy Roleplaying game?

C-BAR

Hello everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, does anyone know if there will be a new Indiana Jones roleplaying game?

PloKoon

C-BAR said:
Hello everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, does anyone know if there will be a new Indiana Jones roleplaying game?

If you mean an actual game, yes, I'm working on one in-between posting here on the forums. (Did I mention it's going to be multiplayer online?)

:whip:

PloKoon

well I wasn't sure what he meant, he should said table top if he meant that....

PS: kinda odd that this would be his first post....

:whip:

jason10mm

Was there ever an Indy pen-and-pencil game? I seem to remember a GURPS sourcebook of that era, as well as a Top Secret S.I. one that could work, but never an Indy specific one (though there were SO MANY RPGs back then!).

What game are you working on, PloKoon? The Lucasarts game or one of your own?

Dr. Wolfwood

A quick search shows up this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_(role-playing_game)

31B1ZG8S97L._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Anyone know if it was any good?

Last edited:

Stoo

jason10mm said:
Was there ever an Indy pen-and-pencil game? I seem to remember a GURPS sourcebook of that era, as well as a Top Secret S.I. one that could work, but never an Indy specific one (though there were SO MANY RPGs back then!).
There were 2. One by TSR and another by West End Games. The Literature section of TheRaider.net has information but the pages are down right now.
PloKooon said:
PS: kinda odd that this would be his first post....
Why is that "odd"? (It's much better than, "Hi, I'm new here. Longtime Indy fan..."):rolleyes:

DIrishB

Dr. Wolfwood said:
A quick search shows up this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_(role-playing_game)

31B1ZG8S97L._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Anyone know if it was any good?

I played both the TSR and WEG Indy RPG's a bit waaaay back (not long after it was released in the mid 90's) with some friends over several summers...we enjoyed them both. The TSR was prefered by us simply at the time because of its inclusion of the cardboard 3D cutout characters and vehicles, items, and sets. I also loved the red-eye-special-reader thing which prevented reading ahead and spoiling things even for the GM.

The WEG was the more standard pen and paper RPG. I liked the fact the WEG included ORIGINAL tales/adventures. The TSR packs only adapted the movies and some of the Marvel Further Adventures of Indy comic stories. So in terms of storyline value, I preferred the WEG.

Speaking of which, I'm still trying to track down Indiana Jones Adventures (the newer Masterbook for the game, which featured four original tales: "The Kweichow Exodus", "On Ice", "The Carlisle Incident", and "The City of Dreams").

Dr. Wolfwood

Did the WEG RPG actually allow you to play with self-made characters, or were you restricted to pre-made ones? I take it that it allows for self-made adventures, at least?

May have to track this one down some day...

DIrishB

Dr. Wolfwood said:
Did the WEG RPG actually allow you to play with self-made characters, or were you restricted to pre-made ones? I take it that it allows for self-made adventures, at least?

May have to track this one down some day...

The WEG adventures actually encouraged self made and original characters and adventures. They included pre-made ones, but they definitely wanted fans to use their own characters and situations in addition to ones drawn from the source material. The TSR pretty much just restricted you to the pre-existing characters.

DIrishB

IndysGal41 said:
I'm surprised how a thread like this gets a 5 star rating when not much is said?
:confused:

What else do you want to know? I personally did a fair amount of answering, as well as others in this thread, so not sure where you're ire is comine from.

Ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

Johnny Jones

DIrishB said:
Ask away and I'll do my best to answer.
All right I know that offer wasn't directed at me :p, but I have a question. What's the difference between the regular "World of Indiana Jones" book and the "Box Set"?

Crack that whip

Johnny Jones said:
All right I know that offer wasn't directed at me :p, but I have a question. What's the difference between the regular "World of Indiana Jones" book and the "Box Set"?

The Indy RPG made by West End Games was part of a larger RPG system known as the Masterbook system. The Masterbook was a sort of generic RPG rules book, flexible and adaptable to numerous RPG settings and themes - various sorts of sci-fi / fantasy / superheroes, Westerns, horror, detective, etc. There were different "worldbooks" put out that would each be used with the core Masterbook rules, and describe a given RPG world built around some specific theme, and one of these was Indiana Jones?®. The idea was to have a variety of worlds/themes for the same core rules; I don't know how far they got with this, but I do know they put out at least a couple different ones, one of them Indy of course, and another an original (non-licensed) fantasy horror theme, the name of which I've forgotten; users were also encouraged to use the system with settings / themes of their own devising.

One could get boxed sets for different themes, and the box would include the Masterbook, a worldbook for the given theme, a couple d10s and a Masterdeck (a set of cards used for resolving certain sorts of events - the Masterbook system uses both cards and dice). Aside from the boxed sets, though, the worldbooks were also available on their own (so, if one had a boxed edition of one of the games, one could just buy the worldbook for a different theme to have that game as well, and use the same rulebook, cards and dice for all of them). The "World of Indiana Jones" book, then, is a book that describes the Indiana Jones universe in terms of this RPG system, and you could get it either in the Indy boxed set, or on its own (and use it with a Masterbook and Masterdeck and whatnot from somewhere else).

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:

Crack that Whip said it...

And I have nothing to add.

;)

Johnny Jones

Thank you very much, Crack that Whip and DIrishB. The Box Set for me it is, then. I haven't really roleplayed before and I'm trying to get into it.
Another question. Do the Raiders and ToD sourcebooks have neat useful information not to be found in any of the "regular" Indy books?

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:
Thank you very much, Crack that Whip and DIrishB. The Box Set for me it is, then. I haven't really roleplayed before and I'm trying to get into it.
Another question. Do the Raiders and ToD sourcebooks have neat useful information not to be found in any of the "regular" Indy books?

Definitly. Most interesting (to me anyway) are the original adventures set around the time of the films or acting as prequels to the films in the books. The Temple of Doom sourcebook (by WEG) actually details Indy obtaining the remains of Nurhachi and Lao Che's thugs attempted theft of it (which Indy mentions in the beginning of ToD). Some of the WEG stuff can be hard to find, though. The TSR Indy RPG adventures are definitly more common.