Metal music

Orellana

Ok, so if anyone didn't know, im a huge metal fan, but I am picky and only like mostly the old metal (80s) with the exception of powermetal, which is marvelous no matter what. Im getting off topic here sorry... what I mean to say is i have some reasons why Metallica is one of the best metal groups ever.
1. Without Metallica, there's no Megadeth
2."For Whom The Bell Tolls" is the best song to headbang to.
3. They were one of the first popular thrash bands ever
Its ok if you disagree with these. If you wanna add some reasons/thoughts or Metal-lica related stuff, go ahead! I look forward to reading your replies!

Montana Smith

Orellana said:
1. Without Metallica, there's no Megadeth

And without the New Wave of British Heavy Metal there is no Metallica.

(Reading the quote on the wiki page that is!)

Metallica was formed in Los Angeles, California, in late 1981 when the Danish-born drummer Lars Ulrich placed an advertisement in a Los Angeles newspaper—The Recycler—which read "Drummer looking for other metal musicians to jam with Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden.

Have to say that Iron Maiden remains my favourite metal group. The stories they tell and the ideas that influenced them.

But there were a lot of great bands from the late seventies and into the eighties, including Metallica.

Orellana

I love Maiden and I couldnt agree more about the NWOBHM thing, also I forgot that Motorhead (another favorite of mine) is one of their influences. If you look, in so many band pics, James or Lars is wearing a Motorhead shirt (i cant believe i forgot that on my list) oh and I love that gif

Montana Smith

Orellana said:
I love Maiden and I couldnt agree more about the NWOBHM thing, also I forgot that Motorhead (another favorite of mine) is one of their influences. If you look, in so many band pics, James or Lars is wearing a Motorhead shirt (i cant believe i forgot that on my list) oh and I love that gif

The list of great metal bands seems endless, because as another name is brought up it reminds us of even more!

Mentioning Motorhead just made me think of Lemmy's roots in Hawkwind, which is quite a different story altogether!

The Drifter

Damn, I used to be a HUGE Metallica fan. My favorite album is "...And Justice For All". And my favorite song of their's is Sanatorium. I have all their albums.
Another few favorites are Pantera, Iron Maiden, Exodus, and the like.

Orellana

The Drifter said:
Damn, I used to be a HUGE Metallica fan. My favorite album is "...And Justice For All". And my favorite song of their's is Sanatorium. I have all their albums.
Another few favorites are Pantera, Iron Maiden, Exodus, and the like.

I agree and my one of my favorite songs is (welcome home) sanatarium too.
Exodus and Pantera arent on my list of favs though :( I also like abunch of the eighties hairmetal stuff. but those genres (thrash and hairmetal) usually dont mix well...

jsarino

Master of Puppets was an awesome album. Every song in there you can't go wrong with. That said, my favorite from it was Disposable Heroes. Of their recent albums, I like Death Magnetic.

Orellana said:
I also like abunch of the eighties hairmetal stuff. but those genres (thrash and hairmetal) usually dont mix well...

I think you should start a hairmetal thread as well. :)

indy dave

I would choose Master of Puppets over And Justice For All but not by much. Can't say I've listened to anything after Load & Reload (I must just be too old now as I couldn't get into them at all).

Seek & Destroy is probably my favorite one to play.

AndyLGR

I didn't get into Metallica until the black album. I saw them headline at the Download Festival a couple of years ago, they were amazing and played the black album in full.

Orellana

jsarino said:
Master of Puppets was an awesome album. Every song in there you can't go wrong with. That said, my favorite from it was Disposable Heroes. Of their recent albums, I like Death Magnetic.

I think you should start a hairmetal thread as well. :)

REALLY? cool. I will. look for it if your into that stuff ;)

Orellana

Hairmetal

Hey there Indyfans! I have already have a metallica/thrash metal thread, and have created this one to recognize the other great metal genre of the eighties. Hairmetal. Now yes, i know that mtv now and probably then sucked. a lot. but I like the tunes of some of the better artists of the genre such as Poison, Motley Crue and Ratt.

The Drifter

I like about any type of metal, and yes, I even like hairmetal/glametal.
Some favorites are Ratt, Poison, Dokken, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue.
Some may even lump one of my favorite bands as hairmetal, but I disagree. That band is Guns N Roses.

Orellana

The Drifter said:
I like about any type of metal, and yes, I even like hairmetal/glametal.
Some favorites are Ratt, Poison, Dokken, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue.
Some may even lump one of my favorite bands as hairmetal, but I disagree. That band is Guns N Roses.

Guns is what I call a hybrid band. They've got elements of both metal and hair. But i agree that they should not be lumped in with hairmetal. I like basically all metal of the eighties, so all the bands you mentioned are definitely on my best bands list. Some others I love are Cinderella, winger and whitesnake

jsarino

The ones I liked included Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake (yeah I know, I'm in a "w" kick), Lita Ford, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Poison, The Cult. There's also Accept (remember "Balls to the Wall?" :p), Dio, Cinderella, Ratt, Dokken, Guffria, Mr. Big, Stryper, Great White, House of Lords...they may be more metal than hairmetal though. There's others, but I need to jog my memory more.

I remember MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Awesome showcase of alot of hairmetal bands big and small.

What about Nelson? Should they even be considered hairmetal?

Orellana

jsarino said:
The ones I liked included Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake (yeah I know, I'm in a "w" kick), Lita Ford, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Poison, The Cult. There's also Accept (remember "Balls to the Wall?" :p), Dio, Cinderella, Ratt, Dokken, Guffria, Mr. Big, Stryper, Great White, House of Lords...they may be more metal than hairmetal though. There's others, but I need to jog my memory more.

I remember MTV's Headbanger's Ball. Awesome showcase of alot of hairmetal bands big and small.

What about Nelson? Should they even be considered hairmetal?

Cool, but I havent heard Nelson ever, so I wouldn't be the one to say either or. I wish I could just turn on my tv and watch headbangers ball... but sadly I was born 8 or so years too late....

The Drifter

I have Sirius radio in my car. I keep it on HairNation or Ozzy's Boneyard most times. They play some good stuff. What about more obscure hairmetal such as Hanoi Rocks, Dangerous Toys, Enuff Z'nuff, Killer Dwarves or White Tiger?

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Hanoi Rocks
They're obscure?

Fun fact: The lead vocalist of Hanoi Rocks is nowadays one of the celebrity coaches in the Finnish version of The X Factor, teaching little girls how to sing ballads. Still dresses like a glam rocker, though.

Orellana

Finn said:
They're obscure?

Fun fact: The lead vocalist of Hanoi Rocks is nowadays one of the celebrity coaches in the Finnish version of The X Factor, teaching little girls how to sing ballads. Still dresses like a glam rocker, though.
Yup, I would say that Hanoi rocks is somewhat obscure but not as much as some hair bands. Thats cause their career ended in '84 (i think...) when Razzle died. I hear Vince Neil is still sad about that... But they were great. I have one of their albums on vinyl. Oh and White Lion's "when the children cry" can bring tears to my eyes...
Another Fun fact: Hanoi Rocks is from Finland! But I have to say that Warrant is one of my favorites. R.I.P. Jani Lane

Stoo

Between 1982-1987 I saw in concert:

Van Halen (3 times)
David Lee Roth (solo)
Def Leppard
Krokus (opened for Def Leppard)
Ozzy Osbourne
Ratt (opened for Ozzy)
Iron Maiden
Twisted Sister (opened for Maiden)
The Scorpions (can't remember who opened)
KISS
Dio
Motley Crue
W.A.S.P.
Helix
Poison
Cinderella (2 times? as an opening act)
The Cult (3 times - but they weren't metal in their earlier days)
Guns 'N' Roses (opened for The Cult in '87)
+ a whole bunch of other bands

Never got to see Quiet Riot but wish I had because I liked them at the time. Some Holy Grails back then were their 2 import albums with Randy Rhoads (R.I.P.) which were only released in Japan.

Guns 'N' Roses were terrible onstage in 1987 and the audience was booing them. They looked good but didn't sound good. (Maybe it was a bad night for them.) Quite a surprise to see how mega-popular they became a couple of years later!

Hanoi Rocks may be obscure now but they weren't in the mid-'80s. Lesser know but not obscure. They were kind of on the same level of popularity as Dokken (in my area, anyway).

Killer Dwarfs (with an 'f') were a Canadian band and I've only ever met 1 person who liked them.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Hanoi Rocks may be obscure now but they weren't in the mid-'80s. Lesser know but not obscure. They were kind of on the same level of popularity as Dokken (in my area, anyway).
For the record, my comment was self-deprecating in manner. I've no doubt that most people living elsewhere than what is arguably the center of the known universe would call them obscure.