Michael Kamen

00Kevin

Indyfan
Sad news, Composer Michael has passsed away at age 55

he is known for composing music for the die hard trilogy, X-men, the lethal Weapon series, Mr. Holland?s Opus, License to Kill, Highlander, What Dreams may come and others.

although not my favorite composer, he certainly had a fair share of good ones

[Edited by 00Kevin on 11-18-2003 at 08:08 pm]

This IS sad news. I liked Michael Kamens compositions. "Iron Giant" anyone? Hopefully they'll release the original Die Hard soundtrack in a special edition with previously unreleased recordings to commemorate his passing...

Pale Horse

Staff member
That is a blue note in a stellar carrer.

I will truely miss his work.
His signature is just as easily recognizeable as Williams and his work on "S&M" and "The Wall" was superb.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
apalehorse said:
I am sure you have heard his stuff.

I'm afraid not, Thanatos. I went over to The Internet Movie Database, and unless I missed a film that I have seen, I am pretty much sure I have not had any significant exposure to his compositions, excepting of course trailers and other such sources.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I am so sorry to hear that. While his noteable works tend to lean toward action, I recomend "Mr. Hollands Opus", "From the Earth to the Moon" and "Band of Brothers" as some of his more moving symphonic works.

Course, I am a serious rock afficinado, so the blend of Metallica with Symphony was equally awe inspiring.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
apalehorse said:
I am so sorry to hear that. While his noteable works tend to lean toward action, I recomend "Mr. Hollands Opus", "From the Earth to the Moon" and "Band of Brothers" as some of his more moving symphonic works.

Course, I am a serious rock afficinado, so the blend of Metallica with Symphony was equally awe inspiring.

Come to think of it, I did see "Mr Holland's Opus, but it was years ago, and I'm afraid I don't remember it particularly well. I did see a short segment of From the Earth to the Moon that was based on...I should remember the title...the 1902 French film made by...um, I should know his name too...that French film with the innovative special effects that was one of the very first narrative films ever.