Star Wars: The Force Awakens

adjustable focusing crystal?
350076_v1.gif

Finn

Staff member
Cool. That emitter piece looks exactly like the LED bulbs I acquired for my ceiling fixture just last week.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lucas on winging it (2010):
"When Star Wars first came out, I didn?t know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you?ve planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories ? let?s call them homages ? and you?ve got a series."

AndyLGR

The next trailer should debut this week, Thursday I think, at SW Celebration. Its due to be played before the latest Avengers film too.

Duaner

AndyLGR said:
The next trailer should debut this week, Thursday I think, at SW Celebration. Its due to be played before the latest Avengers film too.

Seriously looking forward to it!!!

Montana Smith

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngElkyQ6Rhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Chewie, we're home."

roundshort said:
Wow I had hopes this would be good - but after that CGI S**tstorm. It looks more like 1,2 or 3 than 4 or 5. Too bad

Both the script and principal photography was completed in a year right? I dont give a **** that the ball droid is real if the rest of it looks like a video game.

11071945_10153201482252243_6971966361751355297_n.jpg

"It's coated with a non-caloric, silicon-based kitchen lubricant to repel nerd ****."
Im just waiting for comments from the official designers about how they tailored this not only for the movie, but with cosplayers in mind. That's what its all about now....pink mandos and imperial mutton-chops.

Was that Darth Revan?!...er...something is trying to erase the EU from my brain...er...it's something completely original and awesome!

"Chewie we're home" can only mean one thing...they made it back in time for another Life Day!

Lambonius

This looks significantly better than the prequels though. They seem to have really nailed the tone. Anyone who actually expected physical models for the dogfighting and space scenes was kidding themselves. The movie seems to have CGI where it makes sense only; they seem to be going out of their way to avoid it everywhere else though, which is perfect. I don't want a movie that looks like it was made in the 80s, but rather one that has absorbed all of the lessons of film-making since then, and can pick and choose what style works best for any given scenario.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
I think I can safely say that based on the footage - yes.

I'll immortalize in digital form, what I said over a beer with my buddies last night: (which beats any online connection any day*)

the Magnificent Sage said:
“JJ Abrams restored dignity to the Star Trek franchise. It remains to be seen if he can restore mythos to the Star Wars franchise. But with a campy line like: “Chewie, we’re home”, I don’t have much faith in the task set before Abrams & CO.”

As to the iconic CGI, it was impressive to be sure, but it only showcased some very talented techs. Because we noticed it, it means we will be held hostage to magnificent visuals, and not to a timeless story. What a shame.

____
* I'm so sorry I missed a chance to hang out with you old friend. I'm literally 2 miles away from the mouse house on a daily basis now.