SPF was an awful Indy :(

metalinvader

(Here we go again.)

I disagree with you,100%.SPF portrayed the a Young Indy to a 'T'.

What did you find 'boring' about the show? Did you know going in that it was not a small screen version of the movies?

Last edited:

blueoakleyz

metalinvader said:
(Here we go again.)

I disagree with you,100%.SPF portrayed the a Young Indy to a 'T'.

What did you find 'boring' about the show? Did you know going in that it was not a small screen version of the movies?

It was just boring.. what else is there to say?

Stoo

blueoakleyz said:
It was just boring.. what else is there to say?
Something, at least, considering you felt the need to start a thread on the subject.:whip:
Anyway, I disagree. Flanery may not have acted like Harrison Ford but he was great in his role.

(P.S. I used to have some blue Oakleys on my BMX!)

The Magic Rat

Well, ,I think he was the best part of the Young Indy series. I'm not a huge lover of the series but I own the DVD's and enjoy them quite a bit.

sandiegojones

I mostly agree. River Phoenix was perfect. SPF didn't add much in my opinion.

The show was very hit an miss. The concept was great but it never lived up to it's promise and it played around with actual history too much.

I'd actually prefer Indy adventures like the Clone Wars TV show (just maybe a rougher style of animation). Kids would watch an animated show and could learn in the process. Maybe they could fill the gap between Last Crusade and KOTCS with a new show.

I think the idea should be revisited. The Clone Wars has been very entertaining! Once they got the series established (through the theatrical release) they really have added a lot to SW. Can't wait for the SW live action show.

Darth Vile

I think the series was really good. What it lacked in actual excitement, it made up for in production values, imagination and some fine character development.

When the series first came out on video, my father (a history teacher), actually used episodes to initiate debate in his classes around WWI, the Russian revolution etc. etc.

Also, I thought SPF was just fine as a young Indy.

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Something, at least, considering you felt the need to start a thread on the subject.:whip:
Anyway, I disagree. Flanery may not have acted like Harrison Ford but he was great in his role.

(P.S. I used to have some blue Oakleys on my BMX!)

I have to disagree not only with the poster, but even with you; SPF did act like HF - or an extrapolation of what a young HF would've been like, anyway. Upon getting the role, SPF watched the three original movies over and over, studying HF's performance, and it shows. There are lots of little clearly HF-derived nuances in his performance.

I also find the show far from boring, or lacking in excitement. It's quite exciting, just largely in different ways from the movies. It's also quite stirring at times, and adds so much to the mythos above and beyond what the movies do. I honestly think that on the whole it's the finest addition to the Indy canon since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
I have to disagree not only with the poster, but even with you; SPF did act like HF - or an extrapolation of what a young HF would've been like, anyway. Upon getting the role, SPF watched the three original movies over and over, studying HF's performance, and it shows. There are lots of little clearly HF-derived nuances in his performance.
I suppose I should have added "in comparison with River". Indeed, there are many moments where the subtleties come through but I find
they are more in his mannerisms and physical acting rather than his delivery of dialogue. The Flan Man does pull off the fumbling around
in a Ford-esque fashion very well and those are some of my favourite bits.

In any case, you're right. "Boring"? Hardly...:rolleyes:

Nurhachi1991

blueoakleyz said:
agree or disagree?

This show was mostly boring to me

Maybe because you can't comprehend what's going on?

Boring? Are you on crack?

and SPF was the best Young Indy even better than River

The Magic Rat

Nurhachi1991 said:
Maybe because you can't comprehend what's going on?

Boring? Are you on crack?

and SPF was the best Young Indy even better than River

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way. River did an awesome job. I don't even like the kid that much but I don't think that opening sequence couldn't been done any better.

metalinvader

The Golden Idol said:
Wasn't that the point?

Indy is 13 in the prologue for LC.How many adults act the same as they did when they were 13?

IMO,A thirteen year old Indy would have acted like a spunkier version of Corey Carrier's portrayal of Indy.A bit how the Young Indy jr. novels did.

Don't get me wrong.I'm not taking anything away from River because I love the intro for Last Crusade.I just felt they had him act a bit to much like the adult Indy.

Last edited:

The Golden Idol

metalinvader said:
Indy is 13 in the prologue for LC.How many adults act the same as they did when they were 13?

IMO,A thirteen year old Indy would have acted like a spunkier version of Corey Carrier's portrayal of Indy.A bit how the Young Indy jr. novels did.

Don't get me wrong.I'm not taking anything away from River because I love the intro for Last Crusade.I just felt they had him act a bit to much like the adult Indy.

I'd be more content with an Indy that acts like an adult than an Indy who acts like an annoying child.

Nurhachi1991

The Magic Rat said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO way. River did an awesome job. I don't even like the kid that much but I don't think that opening sequence couldn't been done any better.

I'm not bashing River at all. Chris Chambers from Stand By Me is one of my all time favorite movie characters. But SPF was a better Young Indy than River I'm sorry but thats a fact

The intro to LC was awesome but SPF is the man!

IndyJr.

I don't understand this "boring" reaction to it. Logically, can you see someone at his age (16-20) going on the adventures he went on when he was in his 30's? He hadn't even gone to college yet, so he couldn't go on that many archeological adventures, unless someone invited him to. Now, let me ask you a question... have you watched them all? Which ones did you watch. There certainly are some that are quote, unquote, boring. The Winds of Change is "boring", in that it has a lack of action... but on the other hand, it's depiction of the events of that time are wonderful. The Early adventures. Chapter 1 - 5 was depicting his very early years. 8, 9 and 10. You honestly don't expect him to do the things he did in Raiders, do you? Spring Break Adventure, personally is a least favorite for me, although it still has action in it, occasionally. Love's Sweet Song may not have much action in it, but it is a wonderful story. The Ireland storyline is very good (imo), I'm obsessed with Ireland, so there... :p

Then as for London, 1916... even though there is NO action what-so-ever, it's a love story that will have love-story-haters loving it. (try to make sense out of that sentence). Trenches of Hell p1 is a great depiction of the horrors of war (though not up to par, for those who are use to R-rated films :rolleyes: ). p2 is a great nod to The Great Escape. Demons of Deception, Verdun, 1916 is mindblowing good. Very epic and dramatic. It shows the horror of war, while showing the corruptness of politicians, as well as Indy's risk-taking as he destroys the letter from the General so to save thousands of lives. Paris, 1916, however is a different story; completely horrible. It'll leave anyone watching it feel dirty. (n)

Phantom Train of Doom, all around is a good, action-packed film. Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life is yes, boring, in many respects, but only as I have aged some have I learned to understand it's value. Attack of the Hawkmen is a good introduction to Indy's spy-life. Adventures in the Secret Service balances out espionage, behind the scenes duties, with the action. Brilliantly scripted. Espionage Escapades... *sigh*... p1 is a bit funny, and p2 is merely pathetic (don't watch). Masks of Evil p1 is "boring", but it still is a good Indy adventure. p2 is good, if you love horror flicks (just ignore the sometimes fake-looking CG, which was accustomed to the 90's). Daredevils of the Desert is a pretty good film. Tales of Innocence is sometimes boring, but it still is pretty good, a least favorite of mine. Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is a 100% good ol' Indy film, no doubt about it. A must watch. Winds of Change is a very political film, so it is "boring" by your standards, but nonetheless interesting. Mystery of the Blues may not be your typical Indy adventure, but it sure captures that 20's theme. Hollywood Follies... a personal dislike.

Me personally... I love Young Indy 80% of the time. Sean Patrick Flannery was a wonderful Indy. He's no Harrison Ford, that's for sure... and at times he's no Indy... but that's ONLY because 30's Indy would have been unrecognizable in his teen years. Every is completely different as they age. But he still manages to have that Indy feel to him.

IndyJr.

The Golden Idol said:
I'd be more content with an Indy that acts like an adult than an Indy who acts like an annoying child.

Excuse me? Every male under the age of 20 tends to act SOMEWHAT annoying and childish... Indy's naive at that age, he soon grows out of what you call "an annoying child" (soon after the Trenches of Hell chapter). Besides his Spring Break Adventure and Love's Sweet Song (which he did act somewhat naive and annoying in those episodes... but that's the age he was portraying, not the portrayal itself), give me one example of him acting like an annoying child?