The X-Files

|ZiR|

Source.

Variety said:
The long-awaited second "X-Files" film is finally a go, with 20th Century Fox setting a July 25, 2008 release date.

Untitled project reunites "X-Files" creator Chris Carter will thesps David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, who will reprise their signature roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Carter begins lensing in December in Vancouver from a script he co-wrote with Frank Spotnitz, a veteran scribe of the long-running "X-Files" television series, which became a worldwide hit during its 1993-2002 run on the Fox network. Spotnitz also co-wrote with Carter the screenplay for 1998 feature "X-Files." Carter and Spotnitz will also serve as producers.

Studio is keeping the film's logline under wraps, but stressed the pic is a stand-alone story and supernatural thriller that takes the complicated relationship between Mulder and Scully in new directions.

Plan to bring the "X-Files" sequel to the bigscreen was waylaid when Chris Carter brought a 2005 lawsuit against Fox over how the "X-Files" syndication profits were divvied up. Suit was later settled.

Earlier this year, the issue seemed to have been resolved, with Duchovny and Anderson both indicating that the film was finally moving forward.

Released in 1998, feature film "The X-Files" grossed $187 million worldwide, including a domestic haul of $83.9 million and an international cume of more than $103 million.

Wow. I can't believe this is actually happening, and that the release date is so soon!

I know that last few seasons of the show were, how shall I put this... less than satisfactory. That was awful. But I have hope for this, especially if it's going to be a monster-of-the-week type of story rather than the myth arc.

I do like the X-Files, however, I much prefer the 70's series Kolchak:The Night Stalker. Sure, it's very silly with ludicrous monsters but that all adds to it's charm.

otto rahn

ClintonHammond said:
Too little... Too late...
The hard core "X-Philes" will probably want to see it . But I agree that it might have trouble attracting a LARGE audience. I'm not personally all that interested; wasn't thrilled with the first "X-Files" movie.

otto rahn

herr gruber said:
I do like the X-Files, however, I much prefer the 70's series Kolchak:The Night Stalker. Sure, it's very silly with ludicrous monsters but that all adds to it's charm.
Have you seen the two original "made for T V" movies that they series grew from; "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler" ?

I HAVE seen the initial two TV movies. They're excellent. The tv show is a cult classic, boasting monsters such as vampires, werewolves, witches, suits of armour that come to life, monsters made of MOSS!, lizard creatures, lunatic robots, aliens, a headless greaser on a bike,jack the ripper...I could go on. It's a bit of a passion of mine. Poor old Kolchak.

otto rahn

ClintonHammond said:
"wasn't thrilled with the first "X-Files" movie"
That movie sucked
That's not an unreasonable summation. I'd be interested to know how hard core "X-Philes" viewed the movie.

otto rahn

herr gruber said:
I HAVE seen the initial two TV movies. They're excellent. The tv show is a cult classic, boasting monsters such as vampires, werewolves, witches, suits of armour that come to life, monsters made of MOSS!, lizard creatures, lunatic robots, aliens, a headless greaser on a bike,jack the ripper...I could go on. It's a bit of a passion of mine. Poor old Kolchak.
I have the two original movies and the series (with Darren Mc Gavin) on DVD.

Michael24

As much as I hated the first film (it actually completely killed my interest in one of my favorite series), I'm willing to give this sequel a chance since it supposedly won't deal with the done-to-death alien invasion plot that occupied much of the show's final years. I've always liked Mulder and Scully despite the way the series sorta self-imploded on itself and became completely unwatchable by the end, so I have always hoped to see them in something good again. I'm looking forward to the sequel and will give a chance, despite how it appears they're really gonna rush it to screens. I mean, just six months between start of shooting and release date? But it can't possibly be worse than the first movie.

NoCamels

At the time I was probably a "medium-core" fan... I thought it was ok, but I was surprised they picked the conspiracy theory storyline. You have to watch a LOT of the conspiracy episodes in order to keep up with that storyline. The average moviegoer isn't going to know. And it did stretch the plausability (odd thing to say when you're talking X-Files, I know!) a little. They did joke about that in a later episode where someone asks Mulder how he managed to get escape in the Snow-Cat with no gas.

The movie would have been better with a non-conspiracy plot. I taped an X-Files marathon where the episodes were chosen by fans and almost all were the funny ones. My personal favorite: "Triangle". An abandoned ship lost in the '30s appears in the Bermuda Triangle. Mulder goes to investigate and time travels to 1939 and meets '30s Scully, the Smoking Man is a Nazi, etc. Scully and the Lone Gunmen go to find Mulder, and they keep missing each other on the ship, since Mulder is in 1939. And the fans got to see Mulder and ('30s) Scully kiss.

So, conspiracy= not my first choice for a movie. Hopefully they will do better this time; I think most people liked the funny/weird episodes best.

MarxBrosFan

I'm totally pumped for it but I'm afraid it won't make that much money. I think this will be the last hurrah for the X-Files. Of coure I hope I'm wrong and we will see at least one more in the future.

RelicHunter

MarxBrosFan said:
I'm totally pumped for it but I'm afraid it won't make that much money. I think this will be the last hurrah for the X-Files. Of coure I hope I'm wrong and we will see at least one more in the future.

Thats what I was afraid of. But the responses around the web have been promising. I have my fingers crossed that this will not be the end of the X-Files.

MarxBrosFan

RelicHunter said:
Thats what I was afraid of. But the responses around the web have been promising. I have my fingers crossed that this will not be the end of the X-Files.

I do like that they're making a more self contained film this time. I think if the story was too dependent on knowledge of the series audiences wouldn't get it. Heck It's been a couple of years since I've seen any episodes from the last three seasons and I've probably forgotten quite a bit of important information. They need to open the X-Files to new people.

Is it going to be about a monster?

RelicHunter

MarxBrosFan said:
I do like that they're making a more self contained film this time. I think if the story was too dependent on knowledge of the series audiences wouldn't get it. Heck It's been a couple of years since I've seen any episodes from the last three seasons and I've probably forgotten quite a bit of important information. They need to open the X-Files to new people.

Is it going to be about a monster?

Yeah I am glad that they are going to try and draw fresh audiences. I have heard that it is going to be about sometype of monster. Chris Carter said it would stay true to the series but leave out the Alien conspiracy. They have been real closed mouth about it. I did see a pic of the teaser poster the other day, looks good.

Michael24

Although the first film pretty much killed my interest in The X-Files, I still love those early seasons, so I'm hoping this new movie will be a major improvement of the previous one and the last few seasons. I also like that we're getting a story that, while picking up from where the characters were at the end of the series, will be self-contained and not dependent on the core alien mythology, which I felt happened way too much in the later half.

The teaser that someone taped at WonderCon last month and was posted on YouTube seemed promising, so here's hoping for something good. :)