The Dark Knight

Abe Vayoda

temple of john said:
Just ask Jake Gylanhall...;)

I guess I'm wondering if and when they bring Robin into the fold.

Chris Nolan doesn't like the Robin character, unless Warner puts their thumb in his shoulder, you won't see a robin.

"you won't see a robin"

Good... unless it's the Robin character from "The Dakr Knight Returns" I wouldn't want to see it.....

Man would that book make a GREAT movie....

Abe Vayoda

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16411

So, Heath Ledger will be Channelling Malcolm McDowell for the Joker? Funny, one of my friends mentioned not too long ago that he wished they would do something more along the lines of Alex from Clockwork O.

Come January, he starts playing the Joker, in Christopher Nolan's next Batman film The Dark Knight. "It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."
I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

gotta say though, Hamill made that laugh Iconic... maybe that's why he's focusing on eyes. He knows he can't top Hammills maniacle laugh.

fortuneandglory

I may not appreciate what Ledger did in Brokeback Mountain... but that just means I wont watch it. It's not like I'd stop watching the Lord of the Rings because Ian McKellen is gay. I may not like the actions, but the person is a completely different subject.

I think that oscars are in fact, most of the time, just little gold figurines. They did make the right choice with Return of the King however...

So, yea, I'm excited ol' Ledger will be filling these shoes, despite the impossibility of him topping Hammil! LOL!

fortuneandglory

Like I said, thats their choice. Its just something I dont agree with. But again
it's just a movie... I'm not going to watch it.

It is just a movie.... and Heath is just an actor playing a role.... a role that got him TONS of critical acclaim....

I suppose it's possible he never would have been considered for The Joker had he not got the 'exposure' (Pardon the pun) and the acclaim from "Brokeback Mountain"

Any other childishness you need to get out of your system before we get back on topic ToJ?

I reviewed Batman Returns the other night.... I really hope we get more movies following it's pattern.... a very well done take on The Dark Knight indeed

fortuneandglory

I personally didn't like Returns as much as the original Batman. Something about that movie just freaked me out as a kid.... and I've never really been able to enjoy it all that much since.

Abe Vayoda

temple of john said:
I think he... bit off more than he could chew with brokeback mountain.

It seemed as if he...bent over backwards for that role.

I think he found the character... "Tough to swallow".

Have I just gotten stuck in the Austin Powers sequel?

fortuneandglory

Gotta say, that was pretty disgusting to hear. And me and CH dont hardly EVER agree. I may not like that movies premise in the least, but those kind of comments are childish. Try voicing those opinions in a mature way.

Abe Vayoda

Here Jon... just use this:

It has been brought to my attention that the above comments, along with other recent statements I have made, are offensive in their nature. I would like to take a moment and apologize to anyone who may have been offended at the statements I have made. I certainly did not intend to do so.
Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, we all can fall victim to irrational thoughts and in this case, I unfortunately relayed these thoughts to others.
Again, I sincerely apologize to those who had the less than fortunate opportunity to read my ill-advised remarks.

And I agree, some people around here need a tougher skin. Seems like a harmless joke. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the childishness was part of the joke.

I would like to add though, part of my prediction in the first post is coming true.

fortuneandglory

My dear freind temp, i'm sorry I took that joke so seriously. I seem to remember laughing at it, before I posted later. I've been on and off lately, due to getting my wisdom teeth out... so I'm a little mentally impaired due to pain medications.

So I apologize for that bit of stupidity... I've usually a thicker skin than that, I'm usually never insulted by jokes, so I will thank you to forgive my druggie behaviour! LOL!

"It's a joke friend."
Bigotry is no kind of joke.... Nor am I, in any way, shape or form, your 'friend'

"Clinton... pisses people off far more than I do."
And how long were you banned for?

fortuneandglory

Soooo.... I hear that Whats his face.... the guy who played Alfred.. Michael Caine has signed on for 3 films... thats unheard of for this actor.

Doc Savage

I'm a Bat-purist. I think Adam West should be used for a pinata. The only thing I respect about the original movies is the occasional intense look from Keaton, who I think is a great actor...but not a great Batman. Jack Nicholson acted just like...Jack Nicholson, not the tragic character who is the Joker. If you want a glimpse into that powerful, tempestuous mind, read Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. Or Alan Moore's The Killing Joke.

That being said, Christian Bale was Batman at his inception:
Gasser (?): I don't know, I swear to GOD!!
Batman: SWEAR TO ME!!!

This gave me cold chills.

I had to squint and turn sideways at Neeson's Ra's al Ghul. I always pictured Ra's as much more imperious. And they'd blasted well better have a Lazarus Pit lined up. (On a side note, if you ever come across Dtective Comics #400 (?) where Ra's dips himself alive in a Lazarus Pit and then proceeds to beat the stuffing out of Batman with his (Ra's) own broken hand, I'll give you a kidney in exchange.)

Gary Oldman makes Pat Hingle's Commisioner Gordon look like the stiff that played him in the 60's by comparison. The beleagured good cop in the midst of corruption fit him well...much like any role he assumes.

As for Ledger as the Joker, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Not that my humble opinion makes a bit of difference to Hollywood, but the Joker is more a force of nature than a two-dimensional character. Ledger's right, though...in the case of the Joker, you can laugh like Caesar Romero as long as a universe of pain reflected in your eyes.