Serious Question - Why does Lucas still command respect?

IrishLuck1980

Raider S said:
OK, maybe it's because he has a fortune and a giant special effects empire. But in terms of story telling, why do people still love this guy so much? I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as others but it certainly isn?t the greatest thing I've ever seen.

After the abysmal Star Wars Prequels (and only true Star Wars nuts can say they thought those movies were well done) what?s Lucas done? They had 20 years between these two franchises to come up with stories and the best we get is Darth Vader as a nine year old divine birth and Indy chasing a UFO in the jungle?

Maybe we?ve all gotten very dumb and accept this as entertainment.

Anyone out there still look forward to new Lucas projects?

I for one am not anticipating another LucasFilm. Him and Spielberg lost their set when they became parents.

Jenos Idanian

Avilos said:
Also your going to cry like a baby about it! Don't forget that part. You could be quite about not spending a dime on him. Move on to something you like. You be happier about it than dwelling on something and someone you hate.

I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm not crying about anything. Here's the thing, if we all eat the dog **** Hollywood feeds us then that's all we will ever get. Dog ****.

Avilos

Jenos Idanian said:
I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm not crying about anything. Here's the thing, if we all eat the dog **** Hollywood feeds us then that's all we will ever get. Dog ****.

istockphoto_2556312_cry_baby.jpg

Avilos

The problem with so many of you is you forget this just Entertainment. Its not food, clothing or shelter. You don't need it for your physical well being. Its not a religion. This is not about Right and Wrong. People can and will disagree with you. I can respect people who intelligently and respectably express a different opinion than me.

IrishLuck1980

Go read "The Making of Indiana Jones". That book proves George Lucas is a retard and needs people to bring him back down to Earth. Problem with this new Indy movie is Spielberg and Ford were so desperate to make another one they started accepting Lucas ideas which they refused a decade ago.

IrishLuck1980

Avilos said:
The problem with so many of you is you forget this just Entertainment. Its not food, clothing or shelter. You don't need it for your physical well being. Its not a religion. This is not about Right and Wrong. People can and will disagree with you. I can respect people who intelligently and respectably express a different opinion than me.

I've just read all your comments. You seem childish. Like you're still in High School. How bout you drop the sock, throw it in the hamper and get with the rest of us?

Jenos Idanian

Avilos said:

I don't have any problems with any one persons opinion. I debate things like this because I'm passionate about film. I just don't understand why people take things in here so personally. If i say Lucas is an idiot people act like I'm calling them an idiot or that I have no life because I don't feel the same way they do. I just wish we could exchange thoughts without it turning into war. If you like something, I don't care, good for you. If you don't like something, the same applies. Makes no difference to me.

Avilos

IrishLuck1980 said:
I've just read all your comments. You seem childish. Like you're still in High School. How bout you drop the sock, throw it in the hamper and get with the rest of us?

That book proves George Lucas is a retard

You call Lucas a "retard" and you have the nerve to call me childish!

You guys take it to such a personal level. Like you really know Lucas. Its like in Politics when people demonize someone just because they have different beliefs than they do. I don't approve of that either!

Jenos Idanian

IrishLuck1980 said:
Go read "The Making of Indiana Jones". That book proves George Lucas is a retard and needs people to bring him back down to Earth. Problem with this new Indy movie is Spielberg and Ford were so desperate to make another one they started accepting Lucas ideas which they refused a decade ago.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

IrishLuck1980

Avilos said:
You call Lucas a "retard" and you have the nerve to call me childish!

Read the book. You'll see I'm right. You think Saucer Men From Mars was bad, try reading Monkey King or his original idea for Last Crusade.

Avilos

IrishLuck1980 said:
Read the book. You'll see I'm right. You think Saucer Men From Mars was bad, try reading Monkey King or his original idea for Last Crusade.

Taste is subjective. I have the book. You assume everyone thinks like you do. THAT IS CHILDISH. I understand why you are so frustrated. You assume the world has to suit your wishes. Life is not like that kid!

IrishLuck1980

Jenos Idanian said:
Very true. But let me ask you, do you like what you saw? Do you like the idea of haunted castles? Do you like Jar Jar Binks? Do you like Classic movies being altered?

I have no problem with classic movies being altered. As long as we are given the original product on the best possible format. Case in point. Star Wars Trilogy. Yeah, thanks for the non-anamorphic non-digitally remastered discs. What a slap in the face.

No Ticket

Regardless of how you feel about Lucas now. He came up with Indiana Jones AND Star Wars. COUNTLESS numbers of people developed his ideas into the final product. It worked six times. Three Star Wars movies and three Indy films. It was through luck mostly that it all worked out for him. If you think about it, really it was mostly only twice it worked out because a lot of the SAME PEOPLE worked on each subsequent sequel in those franchises so he had already found the magic blend of people.

When the prequels started he had some good ideas but overall... his ideas were affected by tons of other people that developed the movie into what it is. His directing probably didn't help much either. He only directed the first SW after all.

And really his best ideas are almost the same idea. Star wars was the idea to make a film based on old sat. matinée sci-fi type serials and Indy was just the other side of the coin... why not an adventure serial one too!!

It was all luck. He happened into Harrison Ford for both series... etc.

George didn't make this new Indy movie by himself. So I mean, you can blame him all day but really I think there was a lot of people who are at fault. But I don't think anyone was trying to screw it up. It was different people trying to recapture something others did 20+ years ago.

Plus all of them are older now. And I think there's just a spark to people in their youth that drive them to do their very best and prove themselves... something lost in time with age and success.

Indyana Joana

Jenos Idanian said:
HAHA. Man you got it all wrong. So what you're saying is I can't vent about something? Why? Because it annoys you? I'm a cry baby cuz I don't know what Lucas's balls taste like?

You can vent. That's your right. Just don't expect everyone to think the way you do. AND, pleeaase, stop that foul language. There's a lady in the house ... me! :gun: