Thor

Goonie

The first pic of Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk in Star Trek) as Thor, as posted on Yahoo and Mania.com:

Thor1stPic.jpg

I wonder how his helmet looks. Hopefully the wings don't look too goofy.

avidfilmbuff

I'm a little surprised to see Kenneth Branagh directing this film. He's not exactly the first person you think of when you think comic book based film. But this might actually be a good choice, it shows that the studios might actually be trying to make good films rather than use a brand name to make money.

With the exception of Tintin, I am not a comic book fan at all, and frankly, I'm getting tired of all the comic book films coming out every year. But, Marvel's choice for directing this movie is interesting, I wonder how this will turn out.

YouNeverKnow

That suit is perfect. I had a lot of faith in this movie with the director and cast being what they are, and now this definitely clinches it. I'm way excited for this flick.

RedeemedChild

I had a lot of excitment for this film but now my hopes are all but dashed.

I don't like Kenneth Branagh's film directing roster. He has nothing in the fantasy/ comic book genre under his belt. It would have made a lot more sense if they'd chosen someone like Andrew Adamson, Peter Jackson, Bryan Singer or Mike Newell to helm this film. However all one can do now is simply pray and hope this movie won't be a disaster.

The Thor image looks quite sad. Thor is supposed to be big and powerful. The gentlemen they have casting Thor looks small and frail, more like the size of Clark Kent than Thor.

5163vpS0-6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TheMutt92

RedeemedChild said:
I had a lot of excitment for this film but now my hopes are all but dashed.

I don't like Kenneth Branagh's film directing roster. He has nothing in the fantasy/ comic book genre under his belt. It would have made a lot more sense if they'd chosen someone like Andrew Adamson, Peter Jackson, Bryan Singer or Mike Newell to helm this film. However all one can do now is simply pray and hope this movie won't be a disaster.

I have to disagree w/ you completely on this. Branagh is an inspired choice on Marvel's part, and his background in directing period pieces and Shakespeare can only add to the fantasy/other worldly side of the story. And to be honest, most superhero film directors (and even some of the directors you named) come onto to these projects completely green. Here's a list of some famous superhero directors and their most famous works prior to jumping into the genre: Bryan Singer - The Usual Suspects, Christopher Nolan - Memento, Jon Favreau - Elf. Really, w/ the exception of Sam Raimi and his Evil Dead films, most superhero film directors are not obvious choices or have appropriate backgrounds in the genre.

RedeemedChild said:
The Thor image looks quite sad. Thor is supposed to be big and powerful. The gentlemen they have casting Thor looks small and frail, more like the size of Clark Kent than Thor.

Granted its not a full body shot, but I defintly wouldn't call him frail (and seeing as Clark Kent is Superman, isn't he just as buff either way?). Will have to wait for a trailer or better still before I can argue you on this...

But while we're on the subject of Thor (possible Iron Man 2 spoilers, so...)

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the end credits sequence w/ the hammer. I remember sitting in the theatre at the part where the SHIELD agent says he's been reassigned to New Mexico and wondering "alright, what's this got to do w/ the Avengers?" Wasn't until I saw the crater that I got the idea.

YouNeverKnow

RedeemedChild said:

All YOU can do now is pray and hope. Others of us already have faith. Honestly, Kenneth Branagh is THE most inspired choice for this movie. Thor dialogue, from the Kirby days and even in the more recent J. M. Stracynski run, has always been epic and grandiose and has carried the flavor of Shakespeare in it. Thor isn't a typical superhero. He's a GOD. I think Branagh will do full justice to a theme as baroque as that. I can't wait.

It looks like their version of Thor is a mashup between the classic armor and cape and the more streamlined and revamped Ultimate version:
UltimateThor.jpg

I am a big fan of this approach. It seems like everything is going great with this so far.

RedeemedChild

Okay, so I am willing to give this movie a chance.

BTW Marvel is releasing a MMO.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZdrxnvZNj0&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZdrxnvZNj0&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cole

The comic book movies are tired, yes............BUT, they do entertain. And with today's technology, it's the first time that the action on the pages can really be translated to the movie screen.

So I definitely think that's been a big contributor to the "comic book movie boom"...........but it also goes to show just how much comic book characters mean to our culture. People love them and they really resonate with us. I've heard the comic books referred to as the "Greek mythology" of our time, which is a very interesting way of putting it.

Now there's quite a few that just feel boring and uninspired - just piggybacking on the trend (Jonah Hex anyone?) 'Iron Man' was not earth-shattering...........it was merely entertaining and Robert Downey Jr. charismatic in the role.

But I'm a fan. I also thought 'The Incredible Hulk' was similarly entertaining, and I have hopes that 'Thor' and 'Captain American' will do the same, and that 'The Avengers' will be something pretty awesome.

Montana Smith

Mr Jones said:
It looks like they Photoshopped Chris Hemsworth head on a Buff Guys body.
Oh no this might be a Disaster....
but The suit does look pretty good to me.

It reminds me of the time Thor appeared in the old Lou Ferrigno Hulk TV movies. Things that work on the page of a comic book often look out of place in real life.

He looks less like a god, and more like somebody in fancy dress. He better wield some power in that hammer, lest mere mortals make fun of him!

Lance Quazar

That picture looks so camp and self-serious that I have terrible fears about how this will is going to mesh with the tone of Iron Man.

Joe Brody

I gotta echo the misgivings about the suit.

It looks like after the Star Trek reboot some of the costume designers from The Next Generation got work on this film. I never figured Asgard as being so plastic-y.

kongisking

RedeemedChild said:
Ahead of Comic Con 2010 comes the thunderous images straight from Asgard.

odin.jpg

I actually kinda dig the armor. It makes more sense that these omnipotent beings would want to look as badass as possible to us puny mortals, and what is more badass than suits of armor (other than leather jackets and shades, as the T-800 taught us)?