Forrestal

Kredepops

I've always been fascinated by this character that Indy supposedly held in such high regard. 'He was good, he was very very good'. So I thought I'd take a stab (no pun intended) at his looks before he was turned into human shish-kebab. I thought Sam Neill would have fit the part very well, so I had him in mind when I painted this.

forrestal.jpg

More great fan work...wow.

Looks good, any other inspirations go into the look?

How did you decide on his legings for instance?

IAdventurer01

Mighty fine work there. The concept is quite good and your art is impeccable. The pipe is an interesting touch, but I kind of like it. I am however, curious regarding his firearm choice.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Looks like Mac without the neckerchief...

...and a few less pounds. Mac was a mess in all respects, whereas this Forrestal looks like he means business.

Kredepops said:
I've always been fascinated by this character that Indy supposedly held in such high regard. 'He was good, he was very very good'. So I thought I'd take a stab (no pun intended) at his looks before he was turned into human shish-kebab. I thought Sam Neill would have fit the part very well, so I had him in mind when I painted this.

By his holster, Forrestal's a southpaw. Does his left-handedness come from any source bar artistic licence?

I like the artwork, by the way.

Goodeknight

Very nicely done, indeed. Incredible, really. Best and most honest compliment I can give is that I'm terribly envious.

Montana Smith said:
By his holster, Forrestal's a southpaw. Does his left-handedness come from any source bar artistic licence?

I wondered the same thing. However, looking closely at the pic, it seems it could be a mirrored image -- unless that's a blouse he's wearing. Look at which side the buttons are on. Belt is reversed, too. That's either a leftie thing or a mirror image thing.

So, Kredepops, mirror image somehow, or is your Forrestal lefthanded?

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
I wondered the same thing. However, looking closely at the pic, it seems it could be a mirrored image -- unless that's a blouse he's wearing. Look at which side the buttons are on. Belt is reversed, too. That's either a leftie thing or a mirror image thing.

So, Kredepops, mirror image somehow, or is your Forrestal lefthanded?

Never noticed that. But I think you're right.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The text isn't reversed...does the belt buckle look right...correct?

Is that even a tell?

A Sam Browne belt, which it appears to be (minus the cross strap) is more often than not seen buckled the other way.

Kredepops

Thanks guys, glad you like it. It is indeed a holster designed for the Mauser gun. I simply love the look of it, it was also the inspiration and base for Han Solo's blaster in Star Wars.

Good eye, you spotted the mirroring. There's a quite simple (boring) explanation for it, when I draw I use an old artists trick where I mirror the image many times during the painting process, just to get a fresh look on it. It makes it possible to see errors even when you've stared at the thing for a long time. So no deep thoughts have gone into that sorry :)

I like the idea though that he's a leftie, I think I also placed the holster on that side because then it would be visible, instead of on his other hip where it would be hidden partially in this pose.

I could be wrong, but couldn't Forrestal be British? I remember Indy's jacket zipper being on the 'wrong' side because it was made in England where it's opposite of the American standard? Maybe it's the same with buttons? I don't know.

Thanks for all the replys! Any other Indy characters that have limited or no screentime that you'd like to see a rendition of? Abner Ravenwood maybe?

The Drifter

Kredepops said:
Any other Indy characters that have limited or no screentime that you'd like to see a rendition of? Abner Ravenwood maybe?

Abner, and the Sultan of Madagascar who threated to chop of Indy's..*glances down*..misunderstanding!

Montana Smith

Kredepops said:
I could be wrong, but couldn't Forrestal be British? I remember Indy's jacket zipper being on the 'wrong' side because it was made in England where it's opposite of the American standard? Maybe it's the same with buttons? I don't know.

I hadn't heard of a difference in buttoning and buckling between the US and UK.

Indy buckled the opposite way for the first time in KOTCS:

belt-KotCS.jpg

And with the gun belt reversed in Crystal Skull, this allows removal of the gun belt from the whip holder without the need to remove the holster, as you have to remove the holster first in the Last Crusade configuration.

http://www.indygear.com/igaccessories.html