T+100 Years

InexorableTash

Princeton, February 1916 - 100 years ago next month.

We should probably do or say something profound to commemorate it. Any thoughts?

Duaner

Well this is not very "profound", but I always liked that episode. I enjoyed the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew spirit of the episode.

Cool idea to revisit each episode 100 years after the date it occurred. I think I may have to break out the DVD set and watch each episode during its respective month. That's a neat way to revisit the series.

Stoo

Fun idea.:hat: We can cover Indy's adventures on a month-to-month basis...a full century later!

An interesting aspect of "Princeton, February 1916" is the whole plot concerning an electric car. Fairly commonplace nowadays but when the show aired in 1992, they were still experimental/concept cars. Comparing the significant leaps in progress made since 1916, I often wonder if they're greater or less than than the changes between 1816-1916. How different is today's world from Young Indy's as his was to Napoleonic times? Which century jumped further in terms of technology, ideology, fashion, etc.?:confused:

---
TRIVIA:
In the bridging segment of "Spring Break Adventure", Indy is reading an edition of "The New York Times". Using the zoom function on my DVD player, the date on the front page can just barely be seen and it's: Saturday, February 26, 1916.

Googling a 1916 calendar confirms the date's accuracy. This year, the 26th will be a Friday?just a day apart.

Duaner

I just realized that Joe Johnston directed this episode! That's really cool. I actually view him as one of the most underrated directors out there. No, he has not directed any masterpieces, but every one of his films has at least been a fun viewing experience (except The Pagemaster).

InexorableTash

It's been mentioned before (by me?) but the episode is a partial homage to Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout by "Victor Appleton", the pseudonym for the stable of writers Edward Stratemeyer keeps, seen briefly in the episode. Although actually published in 1910, perhaps in the Indyverse's timeline the book came out a few years later.

The book is out of copyright and available at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/950

Spoiler: there's a scene with a bullwhip!

Sven

InexorableTash said:
It's been mentioned before (by me?) but the episode is a partial homage to Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout by "Victor Appleton", the pseudonym for the stable of writers Edward Stratemeyer keeps, seen briefly in the episode. Although actually published in 1910, perhaps in the Indyverse's timeline the book came out a few years later.

The book is out of copyright and available at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/950

Spoiler: there's a scene with a bullwhip!

Could grab the book over 2 years ago, but haven't the time to read it yet. Take a look:

https://missingremy.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/the-tom-swift-books/

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Although actually published in 1910, perhaps in the Indyverse's timeline the book came out a few years later.
Nah, it's fine.:) Nothing in the dialogue indicates a new, recent book so I don't see any timeline conflict with that.

A funny item is the wall painting at 'Williams Brothers Garage'. Nice period detail but an advertisement for Buzzell Electric Works says, "since 1909". Yeah, it's February 1916 so they've been in business for a full 7 years? Woo-hoo! What a thing for the company to promote! :p

(Not a criticism but an observation.)

Princeton1916_WallPainting_zpsbpsqia6c.jpg

InexorableTash

Apparently, the YIJ Magazine had a "Mid-Atlantic, April 1916" comic by Dark Horse, featuring Indy and Remy on their way from Mexico to Ireland. Anyone know if it's available online anywhere?

I suppose it must pop up on eBay from time to time.

Stoo

Tash, that comic was made available here at The Raven 8 years ago (courtesy of Rob Dangerous) and the links still work!
Page 1
Page 2

---
Couple more thoughts:

February 1916: The more I learn about Edison, the more I find out what a jerk he was. The latest ugliness being his way of eliminating motion picture competition. He would hire thugs to go around the New Jersey/New York area and smash any movie camera equipment that belonged to someone else. What an A-hole!(n)

March 1916: Before "Curse of the Jackal" aired, I had only a mild interest in the Mexican Revolution era but the show really turned me on to it. Soon after, I began to record any TV programme about 'Pancho' Villa and chronologically compiled all of the actual, real film footage onto 1 tape. It's amazing how much there is.

Anecdotes include how Villa would get his men to re-ride a battle for the camera while dead bodies still laid on the ground. Another is the cameraman being told to film an execution but, long before the guns were even fired, his film ran out. He kept turning the crank for fear of being shot, himself! :gun:

The documentary on the Young Indy DVD testifies to the abundance of existing material so that brief appearance of the cameramen filming the train in the actual episode is a nice, little touch.

Anyway, all of that footage is now +100 years old.

Duaner

Today, April 24, marks the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rebellion depicted in the "Ireland, April 1916" episode of YIJC.

On a related note, for those interested in WWI, there is a fantastic You Tube series running right now called "The Great War" which revisits WWI exactly 100 years ago each and every week. In a few months, many of the events and locations shown in YIJC will surely be covered. And a cool side note - the host of the series is named Indy. :D

Stoo

Thanks for the heads-up on that YouTube series, Duaner!

Now, before April is over...

Indiana, the Jones family's dog, died in c.April 1916. :(

Stoo

Today is June 1st. The month of May was missed so...

May: While in London, Indy enlists into the Belgian Army. (The recruiting officer is reading "Le Miroir / The Mirror". Anyone know the date of that edition?)

June: Indy goes through basic training at the coastal town of Le Havre, France.

Junior Jones

InexorableTash said:

At the dinner party, Indy mentions the book to Thompson and says that it came out about five years ago. And the book he's reading at the beginning isn't new, it looks like it's been well-read. No need to retcon here.

ATMachine

InexorableTash said:
Princeton, February 1916 - 100 years ago next month.

We should probably do or say something profound to commemorate it. Any thoughts?
The world would little note, nor long remember what we said here. ;)

Actually, the April 1916 date for Indiana the dog's death is interesting - there's some obvious Easter symbolism there. (And Indiana's in Ireland right in the thick of the Rising at around that time.)

I dare say, Indy would be escaping from Dusterstadt by now ... poor DeGaulle would be there till the end of the war! On a side note, DeGaulle was actually imprisoned in a maximum security fortress called Ingolstadt, where he made 5 unsuccessful escape attempts. It was indeed, meant to hold indefinitely, uprising allied officers. Anbody know why Lucas and company decided to change the name?:confused:

The castle used in the episode is actually Orava castle in Slovakia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orava_Castle

Indy witnesses the Battle of Verdun while working as a courier for the French army, and temporarily halts the slaughter of over a million men ...

"Temporarily", because not even a legendary hero like Indy can prevent one of history's greatest atrocities - or evade the poisonous, unfeeling culture of bureaucracy.

:(

Stoo

100 years ago this month, Indiana Jones lost his virginity to a woman he saw in a magazine 7 months before.

The photo:

MataHari_CurseJackal_zpsa8o2n23t.jpg

"Mata Hari" died by firing squad 101 years ago, on 15 October 1917.