Favorite Directors and Their Worst Films

Abe Vayoda

I thought this might be a fun topic to have since we already have one for the best... everyone chime in with their favorite's worst too.
I'm also going to include what I think is their best film.

Steven Spielberg: War of the Worlds - I hated this movie. Hated it. The casting, the script, hell even the directing at times. Speilberg couldn't even save this disaster. I like Tom Cruise, I think he has talent as an actor, but him playing the everyman, dock working, deadbeat dad just doesn't work in my opinion. He is more at home in movies like Collateral, where he shined. The screenplay was bad, and managed to get worse as the movie progressed. Spielberg made the best of the situation, but by the halfway point, even he wasn't enough to save it. I was ready to leave when I saw Tim Robbins.
Speilberg's best: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Martin Scorsese: Cape Fear - I was tempted to put The Aviator here, but seeing as how I've yet been able to finish it, I won't include it among the worst until I can find a time to force myself into watching the entire thing. But Cape Fear still ranks among Scorsese's biggest blunders with De Niro being horribly miscast (how the hell was he nominated for this). The movie had a few nice touches, but is for the most part completely inferior to the Gregory Peck original.
Scorsese's best: Goodfellas

Tim Burton: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I wanted to like this movie, I even convinced myself it wasn't bad but... this movie just doesn't work. From the casting to the script, to the musical numbers this movie is one blunder after blunder. It's pretty to look at, but I cannot get into this movie. By the way, does anyone else find it wierd that the original is somehow darker than this Tim Burton directed remake?
Burton's best: Beetlejuice

I will say, I didn't get a Michael Jackson vibe from Depp... I saw more of an Alex De Large inspiration... speaking of which...

Stanley Kubrick: A Clockwork Orange - I'm sure some will want to lynch me... others would want to know why it wasn't Eyes Wide Shut... but I really do not like this film... and I might be one of the few who doesn't ***** about Kubrick changing the ending. No, instead I'll say that it is one of the most heavy-handed hammy pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen. Kubrick created a strange future world that hasn't age well at all, and his characters seem to have no reason for anything they're doing. Kubricks photoraphy is brilliant, but it just doesn't excuse how damned hokie the movie is.
Kubricks best: Barry Lyndon

The Coen Brothers: Intolerable Cruelty - I'm tempted to put the Ladykillers or O Brother in this slot, but Cruelty was such a bland movie lacking any of the Coen's older charm or humor. Which is a shame, because making divorce funny should have been right up their alley. But it's just bland and uninteresting. It seems to be the kind of movie I'd watch at 1:00 on a Saturday afternoon on USA channel.
The Coen's best: The Hudsucker Proxy

Robert Rodriguez: Most all of his work - I love this guy, I love what he's accomplished, and I enjoy most of his movies... but there is something about all of his movies that seem off. His ideas are usually great, but it's his execution of them that usually bothers me. After watching a Rodriguez movie I always feel like taking a shower.
Rodriguez's best: Desperado? El Mariachi?

I would have included Chris Nolan, but with only five movies under his belt I'm going to hold off on him for now (though, if I were to pick one, it would be Insomnia).
I probably should have mentioned Hitchcock or Peckinpah... oh well.

deckard24

Spielberg-War of the Worlds was pretty bad, the hallmark ending and Dakota Fanning's continual shrill high pitched screaming absolutely ruined this film for me!

Scorcese-I haven't seen every Scorcese movie, but for what I have seen Gangs of New York and Cape Fear were pretty bad. I really wanted to like Gangs, and I though Daniel Day Lewis was great but the rest of it was blah. Cameron Diaz, what a horrible casting choice! Cape Fear was just trippy and weird for Scorcese, and the whole thumb sucking scene with Juliette Lewis and Deniro made me ill.

Abe-I agree with all your pics so far minus A Clockwork Orange. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory did suck, give me Gene Wilder any day!

George Lucas-THE PHANTOM MENACE!!!!!!

John Carpenter-Anything since They Live, which I believe came after Big Trouble!

Michael Mann-Miami Vice

Tarantino-Death Proof

Terry Gilliam-Brother's Grimm

Bryan Singer-Superman Returns had so much potential, but man did Singer drop the ball on this!

David Lych-Dune

Oliver Stone-Alexander

Brian Depalma-The Black Dahlia

Ridley Scott-G.I. Jane

Now I haven't seen every movie by all these directors, but I have seen several and in some cases almost all of their films. So there could be a few other gems I've missed!

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

Steven Spielberg - 1941

While I didn't hate the movie I couldn't help but look at my watch every few minutes.

George Lucas - The Phantom Menace

I actually kinda like this Star Wars movie. I really loved it when it first came out. I saw 3 times in two weeks. But its easily Lucas' worst movie as a director. Worst things about Episode I IMHO: the casting of Jake Lloyd, the farting eeopie, Jar Jar stepping in Bantha poodoo, and Queen Amidala's annoying accent.

Quentin Tarantino - Death Proof

I didn't care about the characters and the dialogue didn't hold my interest in the least, in fact it was annoying at certain points.

Tim Burton - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Seemed unnecessary. I didn't have any emotional connection to any of the characters (unlike Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory).

Stoo

Stanley Kubrick - "Eyes Wide Sh*t"
(Had he not passed away, could it have been better?)

John Boorman - "Exorcist II: The Heretic"

John Frankenheimer - "The Fourth War"
(Though I haven't seen all of his films.)

David Lean - .............
(Uuuuhh...ummmm...Did he make bad movies? I don't think so.)

George Lucas - "The Phantom Menace"
(Short list to choose from - 6 major films. This one holds lowest rank).

Steven Spielberg - "Hook"
(Without dispute)

Joe Johnston - "Jumanji"

J. Lee Thompson - "King Solomon's Mines"/"Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold"
(This guy directed "The Guns of Navarone", "Cape Fear" & "North West Frontier".
Hard to believe these were done by the same man).

Shortie

George Lucas- Attack of the Clones
Wow, is this even a SW movie besides Obi's story & Geonosis?

Steven Spielberg- I don't know, I haven't seen every one of his movies. The ones I've seen were the good ones.:p

Katarn07

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a hilarious movie. I don't love it, but it's certainly not Burton's worst film? Anyone else recall a certain remake by him 6 years ago? Yeah, Planet of the Apes gets that honor. Charlie at least resembled Willy Wonka. Burton's Apes was a far cry from the original film and the only thing worth while was the "twist" ending (which made no sense at all until I went online to find out what the heck happened) was the one featured in the book that both films are "based" on.

And I'm gonna go against the majority and say Lucas' worst movie was AotC. Sorry, but TPM is so much better in terms of overall satisfaction.

deckard24

Katarn you're right, I guess the only logical explanation for me forgetting Planet of the Apes was because it was soooo bad, I've tried to wipe it from my memory. I was apparently successful. Planet of the Apes is his worst followed closely by CATCF.
I have to disagree with you though on TPM! The buildup to this movie was insane, and the first time seeing it in the theaters when the 20th Century Fox Fanfare kicked in was amazing and I'll never forget it! But, the movie sucked to me from there out. I remember wanting so bad to like it while I was watching it. Waiting for it to turn around, and the payoff never happened. Yeah, the Darth Maul lightsaber fight is awesome but that's it. AOTC is pretty bad too, it did have Yoda fighting and some awesome effects, but the whole Clone Wars ending was like a crappy video game. The chase in Coruscant and the Kamino planet scenes made this move better than TPM by a long shot!

Abe Vayoda

Wow... I had completely blocked that movie from memory these past six years. Damn... I hope it doesn't take another six years to forget this movie.

Tim Burton has sucked since Beetlejuice.

George Lucas has blown monkey chunks since Star Wars.... and the prequels were total skite.

Joe Brody

Good thread Abe.

Steven Spielberg: I can't fault him for cashing in War of the Worlds - the guy was just going through the motions. I thought his worst was A.I. He actually thought he was doing something there and it came off as over-stuffed and unoriginal. My favorites of his are Close Encounters and Empire of the Sun.

Martin Scorsese: Never saw his Cape Fear - and I agree with you on Goodfellas.

Tim Burton: Yes Charlie was pointless and there have been many bad Burton movies but I love Sleepy Hollow. Just a perfect movie. Check the IMDB for that film and note how many of careers from that film's cast took off after that film. Burton has an eye for talent and exploiting it. This is where Clint misses the boat moaning about Beetlejuice.

Stanley Kubrick: I never watched A Clockwork Orange - and I'll watch Eyes Wide Shut just to watch Kidman. Wow.

The Coen Brothers: I could go with Ladykillers as worst.

Chris Nolan blows.

TheMutt92

Francis Ford Coppola - The Godfather Part III (so much wasted potential)

Martin Scorsese - New York, New York (its so long, w/ few glimpses of greatness... no wonder Scorsese almost died after this)

The Coen Bros - The Hudsucker Proxy or The Man Who Wasn't There (they're both well made, but I just can't get into them)

Quentin Tarantino - Death Proof (but its still pretty good)

Dr. Gonzo

Speilberg: 1941 was pretty bad.

Coen bros: I was only able to stand the first fourth of The Hudsucker Proxy film... so I don't know if I can say its their worst cause I haven't given it a proper chance.

Wes Anderson: The Darjeeling Limited. He needs to re-team with his old writing buddy Owen Wilson.

Kubrick: This is a hard one... probably one of his early films like Day of the Fight

Tim Burton: For me he has really been slipping lately, Alice in Wonderland was crap as well as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Tarantino: It's a toss up between Jackie Brown and Death Proof for me

Francis Ford Coppola: Probably Rumble Fish or The Godfather part III. I can understand why people hate godfather 3, maybe they wouldn't have hated it as much if it were called The Death of Michael Corleone as Coppola originally intended. (Studio renamed it). Rumble fish by the way is photographed brilliantly... I could just never get into the story.