Action Figures compatible with Hasbro's Indiana Jones?

Lance Quazar

Yeah, the gate is absolutely pockmarked with those foot pegs. I worried that if I cut them off, the exposed plastic would make them stand out even more.

But, like I said, I MAY consider a repaint someday.....and that would be the first step.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Yeah, the gate is absolutely pockmarked with those foot pegs. I worried that if I cut them off, the exposed plastic would make them stand out even more.

But, like I said, I MAY consider a repaint someday.....and that would be the first step.

I would give it a black wash to pick out the deep points, and at the same time darken down the exposed plastic. Then give it several drybrushes with lighter and lighter shades of acryllic paint to create the highlights. It looks like it has enough moulded detail to take the drybrushing.

Even as it is, though, it looks pretty good, but for the foot pegs.

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
I would give it a black wash to pick out the deep points, and at the same time darken down the exposed plastic. Then give it several drybrushes with lighter and lighter shades of acryllic paint to create the highlights. It looks like it has enough moulded detail to take the drybrushing.

Even as it is, though, it looks pretty good, but for the foot pegs.

Great advice! I would only make such an undertaking along with some castle walls to make for a larger set piece.

Any thoughts on painting the truck???

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Great advice! I would only make such an undertaking along with some castle walls to make for a larger set piece.

Any thoughts on painting the truck???

Schleich castle walls?

I haven't seen them up close, but the scale would be good, though they are pretty expensive.

As for the truck, I'm not sure. It's so much harder painting a smooth plastic surface - and the truck looks like more a complicated job. Acryllic paint took well to the 1/18 motorcycle and sidecar I did, but it was a much smaller project, so I could take the time to make sure every part was covered evenly.

I'd be tempted to paint the truck black, as it's the best colour for quickly covering a surface. However, any colour you apply over it is also going to be dark, so a green might work. I'd add some rust paint here than there, then a drybrush of sand to give the impression of dust or dried mud, then some fresh mud colour around the wheel arches and to the front, to give a used look. Mud and dust will also mask any imperfections in the painting, which are sometimes unavoidable if the plastic is too shiny!

Luke Sprywalker

Lance I love that truck! I can see it with primer showing through the outer layer of blue paint. Man I would love to get my hands on that thing! I have weathered a few weapons for you as well. Be in touch soon.

Lance Quazar

Luke Sprywalker said:
Lance I love that truck! I can see it with primer showing through the outer layer of blue paint. Man I would love to get my hands on that thing! I have weathered a few weapons for you as well. Be in touch soon.

Blue, huh?

I think I will try to paint the truck as close to the original green as possible - just to get rid of the stripes. But it'll make things easier for the joints and cracks and whatnot.

And I'll hopefully put some rust and other weathering in there, as well.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Blue, huh?

I think I will try to paint the truck as close to the original green as possible - just to get rid of the stripes. But it'll make things easier for the joints and cracks and whatnot.

And I'll hopefully put some rust and other weathering in there, as well.

Will the truck come apart for painting? The more I look at it, the more tricky I can see it will be to paint - the joints and cracks that you mention - and the part that I used to hate when painting miniatures: wheel rims where they meet the tyres!

Painting the 'wooden' parts on the back first would go a long way to improving the look of the vehicle. It would also be the easier part of the job, and a good test for how the plastic will take paint.

There's definitely potential to make a really neat looking truck, and I look forward to seeing the result if you decide to do it.

Lance Quazar

^The "wood" sections are a different kind of plastic than the rest - much more rubbery in feel.

I was thinking about just a wash of blackish-brown watered down paint to give it some weathering.

Thoughts?

(I am extremely inexperienced when it comes to painting!)

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
^The "wood" sections are a different kind of plastic than the rest - much more rubbery in feel.

I was thinking about just a wash of blackish-brown watered down paint to give it some weathering.

Thoughts?

(I am extremely inexperienced when it comes to painting!)

Yes a wash, if it would stick to the rubbery plastic, would pick out the wood grain in super-quick time. It might take several washes, or even an undiluted paint, which you can rub off before it dries completely, leaving colour in the recesses. Then you could always drybrush a lighter colour later to give the wood a bit of variety.

I haven't picked up a brush in a long while. I got out of collecting and painting metal miniatures, and since doing the 1/18 motorcycle have become 'paint lazy'.

Montana Smith

Here's Michael Crawford's review of Jazware's BA, where you can get an idea of the quality and scale of this line.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_053110a.htm

review_baracus_8.jpg

Jack Panix

I saw the A-Team figures at TRU yesterday but was not impressed by the likenesses or paint. Maybe they'll go on clearance like the Prince of Persia stuff - which surprised me to see. Basic figures have dropped below $5, the horse set was around $8 or $9 and the Gate playset was down to $14. That movie must have tanked.

Lance Quazar

ChromiumBlue37 said:
That gate looks better than I had hoped! Glad I snagged a couple of them.

If these guys go on clearance (which is a pretty fair bet), I will probably grab another one....It's a cool item for sure.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
If these guys go on clearance (which is a pretty fair bet), I will probably grab another one....It's a cool item for sure.

The Gates came back into stock at Play.com three weeks sooner than expected, and mine is already on its way.

Looking forward to this as I have the perfect place for it in front of my Cairo diorama.

If they ever appear at discount prices I'll get more.

Lance Quazar

Now I kinda feel like a sucker. At a local TRU, the gate was selling for $10.50, the horse for $6.75 and the figures for less than $4!

featofstrength said:
do the wall pegs work with the Indy foot holes? It would be cool to be able to use them to scale the wall and such with his whip

Yes, but the footholes on the Indy-line figures tend to be a bit shallow. So your mileage may vary.

The pegs work very well as hand-holds.

Errex said:
Well, I cracked open the Last Airbender figure I got, and was quite unimpressed by it:(n)

The sculpted clothes are extremely undetailed and articulation, while serviceable, isn't quite compatible for IJ custom work. The head does show some promise, though, properly repainted.

Finally saw these in a store and I agree with you. Stylistically, the figures don't really match. The articulation and construction is quite different from the Indy line.

And the detailing is minimal, the figures look fairly cartoonish. I personally don't think I'll be picking any of these up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana Smith

My Alamut Gate just arrived. Haven't had time to take all the straps off it, but it looks very nice. The Dastan figure sems to be identical in height to Indy.

I'm a big fan of McFarlane's 'models' (too good to call them 'toys' ;) ).

Montana Smith

I repainted the Alamut Gate to a more sandy-brownish colour. The camera flash has washed out most of the shades, though.

I'm making a sand base piece so the gate will sit on it in front of my Cairo diorama.

DSCN3773.jpg