TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
Sankara

Stay cool! This is a just a rumor. Like the CGI-Whip in "Indy IV" :-)

"Indy IV" is the last Indy-Movie and we will never see the character of Mutt Williams in another movie.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #27
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Stay cool! This is a just a rumor. Like the CGI-Whip in "Indy IV" :-)

"Indy IV" is the last Indy-Movie and we will never see the character of Mutt Williams in another movie.
I sincerely hope you're right man!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Grethe
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippweeder
As long as Indy 4 is primarily about Indy and Harrison Ford, I'll be happy. If they want to flog a dead horse with a new trilogy, that's their mistake, but if this movie - as I fear - gives Shia too much prominence, then they'll have jipped an entire generation.

Make that two generations. And not just in the US but worldwide.
Grethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
Henry Jones Junior
IndyFan

Well I have no issue witha spin-off. I am sure it'd be more scifi based. I mean it's a spin-off film so no big deal.
Henry Jones Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
1ord3vil
IndyFan

Quote:
As long as Indy 4 is primarily about Indy and Harrison Ford, I'll be happy. If they want to flog a dead horse with a new trilogy, that's their mistake, but if this movie - as I fear - gives Shia too much prominence,
Sliding on banana peels and entertaining the audience with gooey hair grease slapstick, he's going to be Indy's funny sidekick and the Jar Jar Binks of Indy 4.
1ord3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #31
peterlally
IndyFan

Relax guys I am pretty sure Shia is just there for Indy to make him a Man. If they were going to make spins offs with sons of etc Star Wars holds many more possibilities and Lucas is more likely to do it with Star Wars....
peterlally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #32
Miss_Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlally
Relax guys I am pretty sure Shia is just there for Indy to make him a Man. If they were going to make spins offs with sons of etc Star Wars holds many more possibilities and Lucas is more likely to do it with Star Wars....

I agree, the movies are about Indiana Jones the man, period, not about some all-encompassing story or force... even if Shia plays the role of Indy's son, it will make sense with the rest of the movies... in LC Indy finally reconciled with his father and ceased being «Junior» in Henry Jones Sr's eyes; in the new movie there may be a similar journey. But it will always be Indy's story.
Miss_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #33
deckard24
IndyFan

Chud.com has given more substantiation to the growing rumor of LaBeouf taking over the Indy franchise.

Here's the link for those interested. Read at your own risk!

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=13184

Last edited by deckard24 : 01-07-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
Henry Jones Junior
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
Chud.com has given more substantiation to the growing rumor of LaBeouf taking over the Indy franchise.

Honestly I do believe if they go through with this it'll be 50's B sci-fi spin-off, which is great. It won;t be called Indiana Jones and....whatever. It could be alot of fun and would not harm the quality of Indiana Jones.
Henry Jones Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #35
JerryKing
IndyFan

Indy

Quote:

Sickening, indeed... Perhaps that's what George Lucas has in mind when he says that the critics and the fans will hate the film...

I think if he tries to commit this crime, it will likely be as a TV series. He stated his newly found love of TV last year or so. Additionally, "La Boeuf" is definitely not a movie-caliber name, and titles such as "Indiana Jones Junior and the Lair of the Sphinx" or "Indiana Jones's Son and the Mountain of Scriptures" would hardly have the audience-warming power that the actual "Indiana Jones" does.
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #36
1ord3vil
IndyFan

To be honest, I don't expect all that much from this movie, but that isn't to say it can't turn out to be really good of course. If I enjoy it I'll take that as a bonus and if it isn't I'll just ignore it and quickly forget about it.

On the other hand, I laugh at the Star Wars fans who cry to the gods about how Lucas 'raped their childhood' with the (admittedly sucky) prequel trilogy. Observing them is almost like watching Jesus' followers in Life of Brian sometimes.

And then of course, we have Lucas whining and griping like a little kid in the Vanity Fair interview:
Quote:
"Whatever, Lucas is convinced he won't please everyone. 'I know the critics are going to hate it,' he says. 'They already hate it. So there's nothing we can do about that."
I stick around partly because I suspect that all the chatter, interviews, articles, pictures, rumors and trailers in the months leading up to Indy 4 will somehow turn out to be more entertaining than the movie itself.
1ord3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #37
sandiegojones
IndyFan

A lot of you here don't sound like fans. I hear a lot of whining, especially about George Lucas, but I see no evidence that he will ruin this franchise. Is he not the creator of this world? I can understand that some people were dissappointed with the new SW, but they are by no means bad movies and I felt Ep III was as good as Return of the Jedi if not better! The weak point of those films was the directing (specifically of the young actors, not the rest of the film) which he will not be doing on this one!

And in regards to Shia, I think he was very good in Transformers (a suprisingly good movie to me), but it took 19 years to get this made so I doubt there's a new set of films planned at this point. Mutt will likely be a background character not too different from Short Round.

I also don't think we'll see flying saucers or living aliens (if any at all), Lucas is not stupid and even if Speilberg went along with it I doubt Harrison ever would have agreed to interacting with aliens in an Indy film! My guess is perhaps there'll be mention of aliens (maybe the soviets think that what they're after) but it'll be something else based in reality.

A lot of the rumors are exactly that, rumor, and have no basis in fact. Let's give all involved the benefit of the doubt. After all, we are getting what we wanted...another Indy film.

Last edited by sandiegojones : 01-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #38
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
A lot of you here don't sound like fans. I hear a lot of whining, especially about George Lucas, but I see no evidence that he will ruin this franchise. Is he not the creator of this world? I can understand that some people were dissappointed with the new SW, but they are by no means bad movies and I felt Ep III was as good as Return of the Jedi if not better! The weak point of those films was the directing (specifically of the young actors, not the rest of the film) which he will not be doing on this one!

And in regards to Shia, I think he was very good in Transformers (a suprisingly good movie to me), but it took 19 years to get this made so I doubt there's a new set of films planned at this point. Mutt will likely be a background character not too different from Short Round.

I also don't think we'll see flying saucers or living aliens (if any at all), Lucas is not stupid and even if Speilberg went along with it I doubt Harrison ever would have agreed to interacting with aliens in an Indy film! My guess is perhaps there'll be mention of aliens (maybe the soviets think that what they're after) but it'll be something else based in reality.

A lot of the rumors are exactly that, rumor, and have no basis in fact. Let's give all involved the benefit of the doubt. After all, we are getting what we wanted...another Indy film.

Give me a break man! Because we don't praise everything Lucas does, we aren't fans? Lucas did give us the character, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with the future direction he goes with the franchise. Especially if it means potentially cutting out Ford for LaBeouf!

Oh and we didn't all necessarily want a new Indy film. Am I excited as hell for KotCS, yes! But, I was perfectly content with the series ending with Indy riding off into the sunset in LC.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #39
Katarn07
IndyFan

I don't see the big deal. If they can make adventure movies as fun as the Indy movies were without the character of Indiana Jones and a completely different star in a completely different time period, is it truly a big deal? It'd be better than National Treasure or The Librarian films which while the spirit is that of Indy, none of them really compare.

And sure, the PT may spoil your viewing of the OT, but Indy already has had the Young Indy Chronicles. That hasn't spoiled anything for some? I think the opening of LC spoiled that character for a lot of you! I think it was ResidentAlien who said elsewhere he's able to cut off the ties of the character of Indy int he YIJC and they're enjoyable. I agree with that statement 100%. I think if they have a spin-off franchise, they shouldn't even mention Indy or anything established in the 4 films. KotCS should be the only link to them.

I'm actually all for some sort of animated series akin to Batman: The Animated Series (none of that ugly Clone Wars crap, please!). The more I hear this idea, the better it sounds.
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #40
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Give me a break man! Because we don't praise everything Lucas does, we aren't fans? Lucas did give us the character, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with the future direction he goes with the franchise. Especially if it means potentially cutting out Ford for LaBeouf!

Oh and we didn't all necessarily want a new Indy film. Am I excited as hell for KotCS, yes! But, I was perfectly content with the series ending with Indy riding off into the sunset in LC.

I'm not stating that you have to praise Lucas, but you are proving him right by talking trash on him before the movie is even out and giving him crap about "speculation" of a new Indy series with Shia (something Lucas has not stated is in the future plans). Shia was Speilberg's first choice according to what I have read. Harrison is Indy, I think Lucas clearly gets that otherwise he wouldn't have waited so long to make another one. He could have gotten a new actor if he were so inclined. Just get off his back. If KOTCS sucks then say what you want, but at least be fair until you see it is all I'm suggesting!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm not stating that you have to praise Lucas, but you are proving him right by talking trash on him before the movie is even out and giving him crap about "speculation" of a new Indy series with Shia (something Lucas has not stated is in the future plans). Shia was Speilberg's first choice according to what I have read. Harrison is Indy, I think Lucas clearly gets that otherwise he wouldn't have waited so long to make another one. He could have gotten a new actor if he were so inclined. Just get off his back. If KOTCS sucks then say what you want, but at least be fair until you see it is all I'm suggesting!
I really haven't talked crap about KotCS, I'm excited for it as well. Am I a little wary of how it will be... definitely! But, I think most here have mixed feelings of anticipation and trepidation concerning the film's final quality.

As for giving Lucas crap for a future series that isn't concrete, we are all here spectulating, and that is what this thread is all about! As for him saying more Indy films are not in his future plans...well... that's what he said about the SW prequels. The man is notorious for going back and tinkering, revising, and endlessly revisiting. I wouldn't put it past him to string the franchise along for more films. Am I grateful that he created the old SW world as well as the character of Indy...absolutely! But imo somewhere along the way, money and the advancement of movie technology took center stage for Lucas, and his work has suffered since!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #42
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
I really haven't talked crap about KotCS, I'm excited for it as well. Am I a little wary of how it will be... definitely! But, I think most here have mixed feelings of anticipation and trepidation concerning the film's final quality.

As for giving Lucas crap for a future series that isn't concrete, we are all here spectulating, and that is what this thread is all about! As for him saying more Indy films are not in his future plans...well... that's what he said about the SW prequels. The man is notorious for going back and tinkering, revising, and endlessly revisiting. I wouldn't put it past him to string the franchise along for more films. Am I grateful that he created the old SW world as well as the character of Indy...absolutely! But imo somewhere along the way, money and the advancement of movie technology took center stage for Lucas, and his work has suffered since!

I hear ya. It's kind of a preference thing too. I mean, for all of the people who don't like the new SW prequels I know 2 more who do (I like parts of TPM and AOTC, and I do really like ROTS).

I can understand the fear that something you like may be tainted but at least this film has Harrison and Speilberg. Han Solo is what the prequels really needed! But, if you're hoping for another "Raiders" and end up getting another "Temple of Doom", would you really be that upset?

If the movie sucks then they all deserve blame and if it's good then Lucas deserves a fair share of the credit too.

Last edited by sandiegojones : 01-08-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #43
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
I hear ya. It's kind of a preference thing too. I mean, for all of the people who don't like the new SW prequels I know 2 more who do (I like parts of TPM and AOTC, and I do really like ROTS).

I can understand the fear that something you like may be tainted but at least this film has Harrison and Speilberg. Han Solo is what the prequels really needed! But, if you're hoping for another "Raiders" and end up getting another "Temple of Doom", would you really be that upset?

If the movie sucks then they all deserve blame and if it's good then Lucas deserves a fair share of the credit too.
I totally agree that Solo was what the prequels needed! Charisma was sorely missing in the prequels, and back in the day Ford's wit and charm made the original SW films so fun to watch. The OTC doesn't get off the hook though where wooden acting is concerned, they were chock full of it as well! If it wasn't for Ford, I don't think they'd be half as entertaining!

As for the prequels I was geeked like everybody when they first came out, but after repeated viewings their lack of quality imo really started to show! They are beautiful visually, but lacking in a big way. Yeah, there are some great moments in all 3 of the films, but as a whole I look back at them with disappointment. That's just my personal feeling where they are concerned, so don't all you SW prequel fans get all riled up!

As for getting another ToD, I'd be happy as hell! I'm one who really likes Temple, and thinks it's highly underrated. Will KotCS be as good as RotLA, I doubt it. But I'm sure it will be able to stand up proudly along with the rest of the series. I am nervous, but am remaining optimistic. The LaBeouf angle is my only big concern. I like the guy in all the other films I've seen him in, but as for potentially being Indy's son and taking over in a new Indy franchise...I'm not so sure.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #44
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I don't really think that there will be another trilogy with Shia as the lead, although, if there is, I fail to see how it will "rape the childhood" of some members. I'm no fan of Lucas, believe me, but after the failure of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, I would think that he would not be dumb enough to make ANOTHER television show about a young Indy-like character. If another trilogy is made without Ford, oh well, Ford is old anyway.

My hope is that this film will not be a stinker, but I'm not exactly expecting that at this point.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #45
effin
IndyFan

I love temple of doom as well!!!!!

kali ma kali ma kali maaaaaaaaaa
effin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #46
Professor Jones
IndyFan

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Stay cool! This is a just a rumor. [...] "Indy IV" is the last Indy-Movie and we will never see the character of Mutt Williams in another movie.

-
Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right man!

We all DO hope so.

Quote:
As long as Indy 4 is primarily about Indy and Harrison Ford, I'll be happy. If they want to flog a dead horse with a new trilogy, that's their mistake, but if this movie - as I fear - gives Shia too much prominence, then they'll have jipped an entire generation.

That's another evenience... you're right! Even in THIS movie we must hope they'd been careful to the importance to give to that who still remains a secondary character, respect Indy himself: Shia's character.
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #47
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Shia probably figures to be about as prominent a character to the story as Sean Connery was or maybe Short Round.

I doubt we'll see a new trilogy. I mean, the character's name (Mutt Williams) and age simply doesn't lend itself to a new series. "Mutt Williams and the Great Milk Shake Caper of '59". Quit getting all of your panties in a bunch over rumors.

Lucas is not stupid and these films have always been a collaborative effort. You may not be happy with te SW prequels, but he hardly raped a generation's childhood with the new films as some claim. They're no different than the Young Indy Adventures. You either accept them or you don't.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #48
commontone
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones
That's another evenience

Is that a typo or just a word I've never heard of?
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote