Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #51
gallandro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTLA
2. The animals. I hate when Lucas goes "kiddie" on us and he did it again. The opening "mountain" clip was ok, but they should have stopped there. The "Tarzan/monkey" scene was too much and pretty much unbelievable. Other than that, no major complaints.

Ummm Spielberg directed the film... not Lucas. His choice... Spielberg never goes kiddie on us... cough, cough.... Lost World gymkata velociraptor take down... cough, cough... Hook... cough cough.... Lost Boys.... cough cough....

Yancy
gallandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #52
MattJones
IndyFan

Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandro
Ummm Spielberg directed the film... not Lucas. His choice... Spielberg never goes kiddie on us... cough, cough.... Lost World gymkata velociraptor take down... cough, cough... Hook... cough cough.... Lost Boys.... cough cough....

Yancy

I never had a problem with the Velociraptor take down from Lost World...

Does that mean I'm going to love IJ4? Yes....
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #53
gallandro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones
I never had a problem with the Velociraptor take down from Lost World...

Does that mean I'm going to love IJ4? Yes....

I don't have a problem with the scene either, but most complaints you hear about it is that it's "goofy" in the context of the rest of the film.

Yancy
Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
SZNUR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudnergomez
That's the scene. People will have trouble with the amount of CGI in the scene and the overall comedic/fantastical nature of the moment. It's goofy, but it didn't pull me out of the film. It might destroy the movie for some. It's surely a "Lucas" moment.
Is it annoying like Van Helsing swinging finale ?
SZNUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #55
donufro
IndyFan

Fantastical things have been the hallmark of Indy movies. Nobody should complain at all.

There is a suspension of disbelief for ghosts, lightning, faces melting, flaming sacrifices, mine cart chases, burning stones, a joust with a flagpole against a nazi with a gun, an invisible bridge and a 700 year old knight.

When did swinging on vines get to be so ridiculous in comparison? I think it'll be cool to watch.

Btw, if Indy had done the swinging, nobody would say anything.
donufro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #56
davejames
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donufro
I don't see why it would be any more outrageous than Short Round and the ladder grabbing a hold of the rope (always liked that as a kid)

And when it comes to the amount of CGI and it's fake-looking nature, think about this. The other three movies had those wonderful blue-screen black outlines around people, and 12-inch stop motion miniatures.

CGI doesn't look any faker than those did but it doesn't ruin the movie if it's good storytelling ;-)

Exactly. I don't see how the CGI in this movie can be any worse than some of those zeppelin shots in Last Crusade. Now THAT was some truly bad bluescreen work.

Plus most scifi fans tend to be a lot more demanding and hard to please when it comes to CGI than normal people. Sure, even the very best CGI never looks 100% convincing (just like even the best stop-motion and model work of the past never did), but that doesn't necessarily make it bad or low quality work.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #57
Darth Vile
IndyFan

I think that the quality of the modern CGI and older blue screen/stop motion can be on a par (both good and bad). I think it's just that CGI is sometimes left to linger in a shot for perhaps longer than it should. A poor matte or blue screen shot can be gone before you know it with a fast cut, whereas excessive CGI tends to dominate the screen (and I say that as a fan of CGI).
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #58
Goonie
IndyFan

How many Cemetary Warriors?

How many Cemetary Warriors are in the movie? According to the Hasbro 3.75 inch figure insert there's three. Is this true. I want to know so I can build my cemetary warrior gang.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #59
mindy muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
How many Cemetary Warriors are in the movie? According to the Hasbro 3.75 inch figure insert there's three. Is this true. I want to know so I can build my cemetary warrior gang.

And you posted this in the spoiler section....why?
mindy muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #60
-Jones-
IndyFan

According to the novelization, there are two of them.
-Jones- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #61
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jones-
According to the novelization, there are two of them.

The back of the Figure package says three LOL!

so, Here is what I did with mine

tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #62
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy muffles
And you posted this in the spoiler section....why?

Because I though it was a spoiler, so I didn't want to post it in the collecting section.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #63
-Jones-
IndyFan

Well, if counting the first one, who was hit with the shovel, there're three.

1. hit with the shovel
2. killed with poison dart
3. killed with Indy's gun

I don't know, we must wait for the premiere.
-Jones- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #64
Agent Spalko

When does Kananga and Tee-Hee show up?
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #65
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
When does Kananga and Tee-Hee show up?

We get it. You don't like Indy 4.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #66
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
We get it. You don't like Indy 4.

I was making a joke. Don't like it? Please add me to your ignore list.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #67
Manco
IndyFan

Just thought I'd pop my head in here - I'm not a die-hard fan like you guys, I loved Raiders, and I'm actually the equivalent of you guys only for Clint Eastwood movies. Just wanted to say this was fantastic, at least on par with Last Crusade - if you had fun with that one you'll love this one.
Just so you know an unbiased opinion of someone who isn't as hardcore as you guys. It has a couple silly moments but so do all of them. Overall it was very very well done, the plot was slightly confusing at times, but a thoroughly enjoyable Indy film - nothing wrong with it.
Manco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #68
Jim Tigernuts
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejames
Exactly. I don't see how the CGI in this movie can be any worse than some of those zeppelin shots in Last Crusade. Now THAT was some truly bad bluescreen work.

Plus most scifi fans tend to be a lot more demanding and hard to please when it comes to CGI than normal people. Sure, even the very best CGI never looks 100% convincing (just like even the best stop-motion and model work of the past never did), but that doesn't necessarily make it bad or low quality work.

The zeppelin was CGI anyway if I recall?
Jim Tigernuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #69
eroc
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tigernuts
The zeppelin was CGI anyway if I recall?

They didn't have a choice on that one.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #70
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

I love that
the film opens to the Elvis Presley song "Hounddog". I think it's cool that Lucas is finally getting to use Elvis music, since he couldn't afford the rights for his music for American Graffiti.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #71
Agent Spalko

Is Indy the Uncle of Bob Falfa?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #72
ROTLA
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandro

Yancy

What did Spielberg have to do with the Star Wars I, II or III? We got some kiddie moments in those...such as Binks farting. I think it takes away from the film. Just because Lucas is the director doesn't mean Lucas can't have kiddie moments already in the story.

TARZAN/MONKEY SCENE
My problem with this scene, in addition to it being a littler over the top, is that there was no groundwork set to allow it to happen. For example, the sword fight scene has a base because of Mutt revealing his fencing training earlier in the film. I don't ever recall him talking about living with monkeys or saving a girl named Jane! His ability to just pick up the swining techniques of the monkeys without any problem was just a little much. There had to be a different way for them to move Mutt from Point A to Point B.
ROTLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #73
Speck
IndyFan

When I was a kid in Kentucky, we'd swing off a cliff on three 60-ft high "vines" 1-2-3, and then into a lake for fun. It was very much like what Tarzan would have done, that's what we were sort-of mimicking. Anyway, though I haven't seen the film, or how this scene is depicted, Tarzan-esque vine swinging isn't that hard to do.
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #74
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Didn't Indy swing from a vine in Raiders??? Is it not just an extension of that?
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #75
gallandro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTLA
What did Spielberg have to do with the Star Wars I, II or III? We got some kiddie moments in those...such as Binks farting. I think it takes away from the film. Just because Lucas is the director doesn't mean Lucas can't have kiddie moments already in the story.

The point... which you missed... is that Spielberg is equally capable of writing and directing "goofball" scenes, and attributing them solely to Lucas is plain silly.

Some more Spielberg over the top moments:

1) E.T.: The newly added E.T. hiding in the bathtub is incredibly silly.

2) The Color Purple: Mister (Albert) trying to run the house after Celie leaves, there's an entire slapstick cooking scene with Mister which borders on painful. Also Shug confronting her father at church... we go from drama to big musical production number.

3) Jurassic Park: Tim is trying to climb down an electrified fence... fence turns on Timmy goes flying. Then the goofy part... he's fine, just a little dazed and his hair is mushy.

4) Hook: Practically the whole movie is an excercize in goofball. Lost Boys ride skateboards... Lost Boys play basketball. Hook Lost Boy dinner scene puts Jar Jar Binks stepping in crap to shame.... and this is a movie I generally like.

5) War of the Worlds: Tom Cruise and his kids hide in an abandoned house suddenly all Hell breaks loose and the home they are hiding in is engulfed in flame... they wake up the next morning... everything's fine... just a plane crashing on top of them... no problem.

6) A.I.: The entire "monster truck/robot demolition derby" is almost painful to watch. It's really silly in the context of the rest of the film.

7) Always: The runaway dolly truck scene gets pretty silly.

8) 1941: Need I say more.

Mr. Spielberg is not immune to fits of silliness in his movies.

Yancy