TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #76
Bvance
IndyFan
 
Bvance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Heading down waterfall #Three............
Posts: 163
The Blender Effect...

So I'm sure this has been mentioned before but contemplating 'Crystal Skull' today, I realized that its just a mash-up of what SS and GL thought the fans MIGHT want to see.

It's like they took a blender and said, "Ok, lets throw in the hat, jacket, whip, some jungle, some army going after an artifact, at least one grotesque scene, at least one horrific villain death, some creepy crawlies, a recurrent character aka. Karen Allen, comedy sprinkled throughout, at least one booby trap, some artifact with mystical powers, a dark cave somewhere, our own little agenda/message we want to portray, some crazy action stunts, a big one on one fist fight, a CGI heavy ending, etc, etc, etc, and blend it all together in the blender for 30 minutes and wallah we have Indy 4."

I swear this is what they did! It seemed to me they were just going through the motions. But all of the ingredients in the blender were for some reason diluted, or rationed, to the point that these things just happened randomly without any rhyme or reason. An example of this for me was the retracting staircase at Akator. It seems they thought, "Ok, let's throw a random booby trap in there." But it goes off, nothing happens to Indy and Co. and we forget about it. Why would you make a movie like this???

Am I completely missing the point or something?
Bvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #77
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan
 
Crusade>Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMickey
Crusade>Raiders

Thanks for the Video, but it didn't Work!

Cheer up damnit!

Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #78
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341


Ahh, it seemed like such a beautiful idea back then...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #79
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Look's like Archie Bunkers place.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #80
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan
 
Crusade>Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 630
Shia screws it up with that dopey mustache
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #81
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Just look at Allen's smile in that photo. Positively demonic. She's a shoo-in for The Joker's mom in The Dark Knight's follow-on...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #82
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan
 
Crusade>Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Just look at Allen's smile in that photo. Positively demonic. She's a shoo-in for The Joker's mom in The Dark Knight's follow-on...

Or the Joker since Heath aint coming back...

Too soon?
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #83
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusade>Raiders
Too soon?

Nah. Trust me, there are far more disgraceful attitudes towards this guy's death floating around cyberspace. Far worse...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #84
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan
 
Crusade>Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Nah. Trust me, there are far more disgraceful attitudes towards this guy's death floating around cyberspace. Far worse...

Yeah my dad keeps insisting that he was doped up and killed himself purposely ;_; I tried to explain and he's all like "Yeah, right..."

Then he wants to get mad when I don't share his love of the Dallas Cowboys. "This is an obsession dad! I never understood it! Never!"
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #85
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusade>Raiders
Yeah my dad keeps insisting that he was doped up and killed himself purposely ;_; I tried to explain and he's all like "Yeah, right..."

Then he wants to get mad when I don't share his love of the Dallas Cowboys. "This is an obsession dad! I never understood it! Never!"

Well, I personally think Heath took one for the (Dark Knight) marketing team. How's that for an insensitivie attitude?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #86
Leiter91
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Olympia (It's the water)
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvance
So I'm sure this has been mentioned before but contemplating 'Crystal Skull' today, I realized that its just a mash-up of what SS and GL thought the fans MIGHT want to see.

It's like they took a blender and said, "Ok, lets throw in the hat, jacket, whip, some jungle, some army going after an artifact, at least one grotesque scene, at least one horrific villain death, some creepy crawlies, a recurrent character aka. Karen Allen, comedy sprinkled throughout, at least one booby trap, some artifact with mystical powers, a dark cave somewhere, our own little agenda/message we want to portray, some crazy action stunts, a big one on one fist fight, a CGI heavy ending, etc, etc, etc, and blend it all together in the blender for 30 minutes and wallah we have Indy 4."

I swear this is what they did! It seemed to me they were just going through the motions. But all of the ingredients in the blender were for some reason diluted, or rationed, to the point that these things just happened randomly without any rhyme or reason. An example of this for me was the retracting staircase at Akator. It seems they thought, "Ok, let's throw a random booby trap in there." But it goes off, nothing happens to Indy and Co. and we forget about it. Why would you make a movie like this???

Am I completely missing the point or something?
The whole father-son story was complete crap. It actually worked in crusade...but in KOTCS, ya can't really notice when the changes start to happen. Just at the end of the movie, they're all buddy-buddy all the sudden. Felt altogether, really rushed and thrown together
Leiter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #87
Goonie
IndyFan
 
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,068
I didn't exactly hate it, but I wonder what response this guy got requesting his money back after seeing Indy IV and giving his address on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sM8WOslhqs

This isn't one of our Raven members is it?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #88
muttjones
IndyFan
 
muttjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
Posts: 696
it wasnt that good but i wasnt expecting it to be like the others. It is impossible to make a film like films from the 80s . The film was directed at the old school fans but more at the new generation of kids who have not seen Indiana Jones before and have not experienced it properly.
It was a good movie IF it was not an Indiana Jones film.
Otherwise it was fine.
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #89
Professor Jones
IndyFan
 
Professor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttjones
it wasnt that good but i wasnt expecting it to be like the others. It is impossible to make a film like films from the 80s . The film was directed at the old school fans but more at the new generation of kids who have not seen Indiana Jones before and have not experienced it properly.
It was a good movie IF it was not an Indiana Jones film.
Otherwise it was fine.

I don't agree... it was possibile to make a forth Indy film as good as the originals. Even with the same subject and storyline (which I don't appreciate so much) they could have saved the movie bringing it to acceptable levels, let's say to the level of the "worst" Indy movie of the saga (TOD or LC, for those who liked them less than Raiders). What affects KOCTS is the presence of some really stupid and useless scenes and the absence of the original adventurous feeling. It misses also in recreating that magic atmosphere that characterized the old movies.
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #90
Indy~Annie
IndyFan
 
Indy~Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indy land...where im happy.:P
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusade>Raiders
Shia screws it up with that dopey mustache

i loved his dopey mustache!!!!!

made him look very cute.
Indy~Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #91
CrystalSkull13
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The country where the spear of destiny was put.
Posts: 41
Im a visitor from the Lover's world! I come in peace!
CrystalSkull13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #92
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
HECKLEVISION: Indiana Jones 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiter91
It has come to my attention that there are numerous forum members who have a deep hatred of KOTCS...So instead of trolling in random threads...why don't we just take all our negativity, all of our dissapointments, and all of our hate...and funnel it into one dark thread. So...let the sleeze run, let the smear build up. And Lovers, stay away, and don't pull this thread down...This is my attempt to indecent, decently. Okay...let the games begin...

What Crystal Skull has inspired...how did I miss this one?

Quote:
HECKLEVISION: Indiana Jones 4

ALAMO MASON Thurs, Jan 6
ALAMO WEST OAKS Tues, Jan 11
ALAMO RITZ Sun, Jan 23
ALAMO WESTLAKES Sun, Jan 9
ALAMO PARK NORTH Weds, Jan 26

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
presented in HeckleVision – your texted jokes appear live on the screen with the movie!
d. Steven Spielberg, 2008, 122 min, DVD presentation

“Nuking the fridge” is a colloquialism used to refer to the moment in a film series that is so incredible that it lessens the excitement of subsequent scenes that rely on more understated action or suspense. When a fridge is nuked, it generally becomes apparent that a certain installment is not as good as a previous installments, due to ridiculous or low quality storylines, events or characters.

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL metaphorically nuked it’s fridge in the first 45 seconds. Then it actually blew up a refrigerator with a nuclear explosion later on in the film.

Sure, it’s easy enough to suspend your disbelief when you’re watching a fantastical adventure fantasy (outrunning boulders is pretty outrageous, after all), but when that disbelief jumps out of a jeep and starts swinging with monkeys from trees, escaping from nuclear explosions in refrigerators and pursuing crystal skulls in an attempt to unlock alien secrets? Well, that’s when it’s time for you to tell that disbelief you’ve had it with him and move on ’cause you’re too good for him girl.

But seriously, as much as we all wanted to welcome Indy back with open arms and enjoy the heck out of CRYSTAL SKULL… we just… didn’t. Our excitement faded shortly after the opening credits, as the film became a hodge-podge of self-parody, phony nostalgia, and constant winks to the audience. And yet… And yet… Even though we deserved better, we keep coming back to this latest chapter of a once perfect trilogy and staring into its dead, soulless eyes searching for some clue as to where it exactly all went wrong.

To exhume this movie’s remains with the entire crowd, we decided to unleash our patented HeckleVision technology so that we can all text out our frustrations with each scene and then have those texts appear on the screen underneath the film. As with any HeckleVision show, you’ll be free to make insightful comments on the film’s special effects (CGI gophers!), or just make fun of it with perfectly timed witticisms that cut George Lucas right in his floppy neck. ANYTHING you text during the movie will show up on the screen, and we’re hoping that with that commentary track to distract us we can actually find a way to enjoy this turd pile of a film.

It’s time to boot up your alien ware technology and belt out “Kali Ma Shakti de,” because we’re aiming to rip this one’s heart right out of it’s chest.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #93
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
“Nuking the fridge” is a colloquialism used to refer to the moment in a film series that is so incredible that it lessens the excitement of subsequent scenes that rely on more understated action or suspense.
Call me ignorant but it's my understanding that the term is akin to Jumped-the-Shark (attributed to the a season finale cliffhanger of "Happy Days"); a point in a TV/film series where situations become so HOKEY, that it's apparent the series should have stopped earlier while it was still respectable.
Quote:
As with any HeckleVision show, you’ll be free to make insightful comments on the film’s special effects (CGI gophers!), or just make fun of it with perfectly timed witticisms that cut George Lucas right in his floppy neck.
"cut George Lucas right in his floppy neck" = Lucas Basher Red Alert. The gophers were Spielberg's idea...
Quote:
It’s time to boot up your alien ware technology and belt out “Kali Ma Shakti de,” because we’re aiming to rip this one’s heart right out of it’s chest.
"HeckleVision". Anyone who would get their jollies participating in such an affair is a freaking SUPER NERD! What kind of a loser would $pend their money (AGAIN) to go see a movie they didn't like? Sad, pathetic, pitiful...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #94
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Call me ignorant but it's my understanding that the term is akin to Jumped-the-Shark (attributed to the a season finale cliffhanger of "Happy Days"); a point in a TV/film series where situations become so HOKEY, that it's apparent the series should have stopped earlier while it was still respectable.
"cut George Lucas right in his floppy neck" = Lucas Basher Red Alert. The gophers were Spielberg's idea...
"HeckleVision". Anyone who would get their jollies participating in such an affair is a freaking SUPER NERD! What kind of a loser would $pend their money (AGAIN) to go see a movie they didn't like? Sad, pathetic, pitiful...

correct on all counts...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #95
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,162
I remember the first movie to ever disappoint me to where I left the theater mad was Last Crusade. It also felt very different to me than the first two. I felt it relies to much on the humor and it really ruined some characters for me. I think its great they named characters after pets but it doesn't need to be added to the script. Marcus in Raiders talks of going after the Ark himself yet in Crusade he's lost and confused most of the movie. I saw it again in the theater a week later and enjoyed it more than the first time. Now I like Last Crusade but still it seems different. To me it is a superior movie to KOTCS and yet it was not as disappointing because of previous Lucas let downs. (IJLC, YIJC, SW Prequels, which have all grown on me) My point is we expect perfection from a sequel and the original was perfection thats why we love it so much. Now after SW kicked my expectations in the n*ts with Phantom Menace I go with low expectations so when the movie isn't half bad I don't feel so let down since I thought it would be worse. KOTCS could have been better but we could say that about most sequels couldn't we?
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #96
Darth Vile
IndyFan
 
Darth Vile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
I remember the first movie to ever disappoint me to where I left the theater mad was Last Crusade. It also felt very different to me than the first two. I felt it relies to much on the humor and it really ruined some characters for me. I think its great they named characters after pets but it doesn't need to be added to the script. Marcus in Raiders talks of going after the Ark himself yet in Crusade he's lost and confused most of the movie. I saw it again in the theater a week later and enjoyed it more than the first time. Now I like Last Crusade but still it seems different. To me it is a superior movie to KOTCS and yet it was not as disappointing because of previous Lucas let downs. (IJLC, YIJC, SW Prequels, which have all grown on me) My point is we expect perfection from a sequel and the original was perfection thats why we love it so much. Now after SW kicked my expectations in the n*ts with Phantom Menace I go with low expectations so when the movie isn't half bad I don't feel so let down since I thought it would be worse. KOTCS could have been better but we could say that about most sequels couldn't we?

I wouldn't say that one should approach with low expectations... rather, keep expectations relative of the reality. Using your example... Cinema changed forever in 1977 the day Star Wars was released. The flaws of The Phantom Menace aside, it was never going to be an epoch making movie. Lots of people were not just hoping it would change their lives, in the same way as Star Wars did, but they expected that it should. When I heard that people were going into movies just to watch the trailer for The Phantom Menace, I knew that if it didn't turn out to be the best movie ever made (which it wasn't) there would be a lot of disappointed and disgruntled fans.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #97
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
I'm going to keep my expectations high and suffer any disappointment. You have to maintain your standards, you know...
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #98
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan
 
Dr.Jonesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Akator
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I'm going to keep my expectations high and suffer any disappointment. You have to maintain your standards, you know...

I actually agree. My expectations for Indy IV were as high as they had been for a long time waiting for it. I loved the film...but I never once thought I should lower expectations had I decided it stunk.

I think taking into account the conditions of which something was made is good, but lowering your standards isn't good.

Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #99
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I'm going to keep my expectations high and suffer any disappointment. You have to maintain your standards, you know...


Like I said KOTCS is not even close to my favorite film. Nor is LC. My standards are high but I don't think they can be lived up to so I choose to make the best out of what were given instead of expecting to much. Plus while KOTCS is not a great movie, I would still rank it as entertaining and it does have some decent moments. Raiders is my all time favorite film. The sequels just have my all time favorite movie character in them and are fun at best. Good luck finding your perfect sequel they are not easy to find.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #100
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,134
haters gonna hate.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.