This ought to even up the odds...

Canyon

Re: Re: Indy IV

RIGHT!!! why should we complicate this subject?? The quality of the scrip it's the basis for the success of a film, no discussion about it! and sure it helps when the actors do their best, but of course I know that is gonna happen!

- by can't wait 4 Indy 4 - I'm a female Indy fan! :mrgreen: and proud of it! ;)
[/QUOTE]

Ah, you see thats the great thing about being a female Indy fan. We not only appreciate how great a character Indy actually is, but we can also appreciate the, ehem, finer points of our beloved archaeologist!

*drool*

And Fatima, here is a picture just for you! <small>cos I know how much you 'appreciate' Mr Ford in Temple of Doom...</small> :D

20030923_2_sm.jpg

fatima

:D Thanks for the exclusive picture for me Canyon!I'm going to explain to others why I like so much of Mr Ford in TOD - enough to say was my first film of him I've ever saw in my life - so the rest I think it's obvious to guess what happened after. ;) :p

[Edited by fatima on 09-24-2003 at 03:12 pm]

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:
If it?s going to be funny, it should be funny because of the circumstances and not his age. What they did to Marcus was retarded. He goes from an older version of Jones in Raiders to the idiot who gets lost in his own museum in Last Crusade.

I want it dark; I want scenes that are gloomy and lit like it's a globulin convention. I want some major suffering and strife so our hero can come back against all odds one last time.

You may have better luck with a different franchise if that's what you want. I really can't picture an Indiana Jones movie being so bleak.

I agree that he should have to beat seemingly impossible odds, but I don't think we need to worry about that. That's what Indy always does. But those tough situations probably won't be as dark as you're hoping. I enjoy it when the situations are so ridiculously over-the-top that they have us laughing at the same time as we're clinging to the edges of our seats. Like the mine-car chase, for example. Or the tank sequence in Last Crusade. The Indy movies are, after all, supposed to be fun, not disturbing.

Marcus' character in Last Crusade didn't bother me. We didn't see enough of him in Raiders to know what he'd be like out on the field. We knew that he's book-smart, but that's all really. But I agree with you that the humor shouldn't derive from "I'm getting too old for this" jokes. One or two of those would be fine, but the rest of the humor should again come from wise-cracks, his "devil may care" attitude, and the sheer craziness of how he survives the most over-the-top action scenes.

intergamer

I just noticed that I have the last post on the last 4 or 5 threads. I'm just going for a record. Don't mind me.

I do have one thing to say though. Since Indy 4 isn't just another episode: its the last one, the special new come back everybody for a new indy movie one.

So it can't have a wierd, dark, specific theme like Temple of Doom. It should have some darker elements in it - but keep it closer to the B movie adventure series: remember that they were mostly upbeat

Attila the Professor

Staff member
intergamer said:
I do have one thing to say though. Since Indy 4 isn't just another episode: its the last one, the special new come back everybody for a new indy movie one.

It should have some darker elements in it - but keep it closer to the B movie adventure series: remember that they were mostly upbeat

Then let's have Indy IV be a revisionist adventure film. Why not? Even if it is part of an already established series, I think it would work rather well. Be the first of it's kind, I think. The first three examine the genre in terms of the typical stuff being done in a somewhat original way that works very well.

Raiders - typical adventure - Nazis, the old girlfriend and nemesis, the saidistic torturer, the weakling villain, the natives with swords/spears/blowguns, and the dig

Temple - delves into new territory with the jungle, poor villages, Satanic cults, the girl out of her element, the kid as a sidekick, the typical British Imperialist colonel, gangsters, and never-ending action in the third act

Crusade - typical deal of including relatives as the series progresses, plus returning sidekicks, an attempt to top a formula that was previously successful, the femme fatale, the theme of traitor to the Axis, and an overall thematic maturity not present in the earlier

Note that Crusade fits in with the other two in all the typical serial/adventure things but also indicates an attempt at something more, in terms of theme. Now, taking into account how wonderfully derivitive the Indy films are, I don't think that making Indy IV a revisionist adventure film is that much of a stretch.

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:
Throw some new stuff, too. We don't want this to be one long walk down memory lane.

Actually, I do want it to be a long walk down memory lane. I want the movie to consist mainly of flashbacks, brought on by contrived dialogue and plot devices.

Example--
Indy is at his retirement party, and all of the guests present him with presents that remind him of past exploits. Marion hands him a rubber snake. "Ah, a snake. That reminds me of that time we were stuck in that big room of snakes..." (rubs his chin, picture goes fuzzy... flashback ensues.)

The whole movie would consist of this. Finally at the end, someone Indy doesn't recognize shows up. It's a young man.
"Who are you?" Indy asks
"I'm your long lost son, Alabama Jones."
"Whoa, I didn't know about you. Who's your mother?"
Suddenly the kid screams and his skin bursts open, revealing an EVIL ALIEN! Then the words, "To be continued..." appear.

Sounds good, right?

Indy_(heheheh)

GODDAM I HATE THOSE NAZI SCUM.
CHOPPING UP MY MOVIE LIKE THAT.
SOMEONE NEEDS A GOOD WHIPPING.
*snaps whip*
((WUHCTCH))

heh heh haaaeh (sonofabitch!)

intergamer

00Kevin said:
oh...looks like I failed terribly

thats ok, we forgive you

*reads rest of post
well, if you want to be that way about it, we'll just have to hold it against you the rest of your life

intergamer

Renderking Fisk said:
Since you're counting... how many times have I said: "It's in the script, stupid"?

we all realize that its all about the script: the script defines the entire movie...it defines any movie

trust that we all agree with you there

since I don't believe that there is any discussion in that area, therefore, we are looking at more specific points: how <i>will</i> the script define a certain thing

17, by the way

intergamer

blah blah blah

just posting because I had 66 posts

that might be a bad omen or something, and I'm counting, so...

thank you for your time

edit: I have 69 now

[Edited by intergamer on 09-30-2003 at 06:17 pm]

Finn

Staff member
Note:

00Kevin said:
congrats folks! this thread now has over 100 Replies......and all of them have been OT argueing
This thread will be locked by then the ones caused this mess are on their way to Banana Islands.

[Edited by Finn on 10-01-2003 at 12:58 am]