Your Favorite Movie Where The Characters Did NOT Speak English?

dr.jones1986

My favorite would be "Letters from Iwo Jima" though there are a few scenes where the characters speak English, but most of the movie is in Japanese.

The Man

HovitosKing said:
Amelie. Audrey Tautou is just great in everything except Da Vinci Code, which was kind of like the first Mr. Bean movie where they stripped the character of all things English to put him in an Americanized comedy. Bad move.

Agreed. Beautiful, enchanting picture.

The Man

Rocket Surgeon said:
Speaking of avoiding films, is Human Centipede not in English...? It's a Dutch film right? That's one I've avoided too, though with smile like these who wouldn't be tempted, they're SO proud!

800px-10.1.10HumanCentipedeByLuigiNovi_cropped.jpg

A99EE37548499B662856B3_Large.jpg

"Oh no! The cuttrefish is about to come outta ma asshore. Hord on, Kyre. I berieve in you!!!"

Stoo

Moedred said:
Many Bollywood movies run close to 3 hours and tend to drag, which may account for their limited success overseas.
This reminds me, I forgot to add some to my list:

Indian
Lagaan
Mangal Pandey

Greek
Dogtooth (Kynodontas)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Mangal Pandey

Nice choice. I second the recommendation. If anybody else is looking for a historical epic, you wouldn't be remiss in picking this one up.

I watch a lot of Asian cinema. Probably more than I should. Juzo Itami's Tampopo is a perennial favorite, and should be seen by everybody. If for nothing more than to watch a very, very young Ken Watanabe (this era's Toshiro Mifune) at work.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kbp5xm8R2VQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of what I've seen recently, The Chaser is absolutely phenomenal. Try to see it in the original Korean if at all possible. I can't find a satisfactory trailer unfortunately.

The Bullet Vanishes is a Chinese take on RDJ's hyperactive Sherlock Holmes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8oZOMNeJjzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Singham needs to be seen. Bollywood's branched out into police thrillers and action movies, with all the requisite singing and dancing that you've come to expect. It's finally available on Netflix as I type this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w6iFLBNbCGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No hesitation. No deviation. Just destruction.

And with production on a sequel well under way, Indonesia's The Raid needs to be mentioned. A North American release saw it retitled as The Raid: Redemption for no reason. Fortunately the film itself remained intact, and it is by far the best action movie to come out in the past... oh, five years.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uWlmhMSnVdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, the thread's hella old, but it's either bump this one or start a new thread for every movie. Didn't feel the need to do that.

Can anyone reccomend:Vampyros Lesbos, Sie Tötete In Ekstase, or Der Teufel Kam Aus Akasava?

I'd post a pic, but its borderline acceptable...

WilliamBoyd8

The 1943 German fantasy film "Munchhausen", beautiful color,
special effects similar to the American "The Wizard of Oz"
and British "The Thief of Bagdad".

It is on DVD with English subtitles.

:)

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Can anyone reccomend:Vampyros Lesbos, Sie Tötete In Ekstase, or Der Teufel Kam Aus Akasava?

I'd post a pic, but its borderline acceptable...

Never seen them, but I have his Ilsa: The Wicked Warden and White Cannibal Queen.

Low budget, shlocky horror picture shows, with blood, nudity and general nastiness.

Highly recommended!

Montana Smith said:
Never seen them, but I have his Ilsa: The Wicked Warden and White Cannibal Queen.

Low budget, shlocky horror picture shows, with blood, nudity and general nastiness.

Highly recommended!

No Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS? Is that one not english?

Nevermind...cursory seach was definitive.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
No Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS? Is that one not english?

Nevermind...cursory seach was definitive.

That one wasn't directed by Fanco. Wicked Warden was in English, White Cannibal Queen in English and Italian.

Montana Smith

The Girl Who Played with Fire.

A good follow-up to Dragon Tattoo.

Micke Spreitz, there's a guy who could give Indy a good pasting:

girl_who_played_with_fire20.jpg

Stoo

Le Saboteur re. "Mangal Pandey" said:
Nice choice. I second the recommendation. If anybody else is looking for a historical epic, you wouldn't be remiss in picking this one up.
Yes but, if you watch it, don't go looking for an accurate take on the history.;)

For those interested, the full English title is "The Rising: Ballad of Mangal Pandey".
Rocket Surgeon said:
Personally, I did not like "Vampyros Lesbos" but the music soundtrack, however, is pretty damned COOOOOOL!:cool: A friend of mine used to play it non-stop.

Last edited:

kongisking

Pan's Labyrinth was phenomenal.

And as for the fella who mocked one Ravener for seeing a Godzilla movie...y'know, Godzilla wasn't always the poster monster for cheesy rubber-suit carnage. There was a film, long ago, where he was a poignant metaphor for nuclear holocaust. That film was the original Gojira, and in spite of the over-the-top acting and poor effects, remains a fascinating and, at times, profound film. I urge you to check it out, and be enlightened.

Montana Smith

She's in danger of being plucked, or at the very least deflowered.

The 1943 version?

So this is really the prequel to Iron Sky, another film in which the characters didn't always speak English.

Indyfan82

For me, it would be one spoken entirely in Aramaic (and apparently some Latin too, according to its Wikipedia page)- "The Passion of The Christ".
(Though I wouldn't say it's the most Biblically accurate in some things- it extrapolates from other sources- but it does get the main Gospel account across of Jesus' death on the cross that paid for the sins of all the world and His glorious Resurrection! I wish the movie spent a bit more time on the Resurrection but it is there as the finale at the end and it is an incredibly powerful reminder of the depth of love God has for all of us by sending Christ to endure such pain so that we could be reconciled to God!):)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
I'm sure Casa De Mi Padre will be making an appearance here, soon.

I hear it's decent, but it's more fun to hear this as a suggestion that Will Ferrell is necessary to get folks into a non-English language movie.