Want to be in a Documentary about collectors? Join us at SDCC!

GiantThuggee

Geek Legacy is a documentary series made by geeks... not only for geeks, but for the whole world to enjoy. Help us demonstrate what compels us to collect, why gaming is so addicting, and why it's so much fun to escape reality and don the costume of our favorite characters. Join us as we embrace every facet of our culture... our legacy. Our GEEK LEGACY!

Our current episode is focusing on collectors! If you've got more than a mere desk full of collectibles, we want YOU! Show us your museum, your holy grail, or your favorite pieces. Tell us your horror stories! We want to know what makes your geek flag fly!

Production begins at San Diego Comic Con 2011, so if you're attending, hit us up! Please follow us on twitter(@geeklegacy) for up-to-date info on our current location during the event, or feel free to email us at geeklegacymovie@gmail.com to schedule an interview or pick our brain!

Not going to Comic Con? That's okay, production for this series is ongoing, just contact us if you'd like to participate!

Check out our teaser video on YouTube!

Thank you very much, and we hope to talk to you soon!
- The Geek Legacy Team at www.randomreel.com

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Personally, I find the term "Geek" quite offensive and is a term used to devalue or belittle another person. It's sad when this term is used by it's own community to gain an acceptance/approval from others.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
But I'd much rather be a geek, then a nerd.

Quite so.

Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg

GiantThuggee

JuniorJones said:
Personally, I find the term "Geek" quite offensive and is a term used to devalue or belittle another person. It's sad when this term is used by it's own community to gain an acceptance/approval from others.

While it certainly isn't intended to belittle anyone I can respect your assessment of the word and the stigma it may carry for some people. However, it has become the socially acceptible/preferred term for many in today's society who would have cringed at it 10 years ago. I think we have our own pop culture to thank for that!

And for the record JuniorJones, I think your point of view would make a great interview; talking about how labels can bring up sterotypes that portray the hobby in a negative light.

Cheers! :hat:

GiantThuggee said:
While it certainly isn't intended to belittle anyone I can respect your assessment of the word and the stigma it may carry for some people. However, it has become the socially acceptible/preferred term for many in today's society who would have cringed at it 10 years ago. I think we have our own pop culture to thank for that!

And for the record JuniorJones, I think your point of view would make a great interview; talking about how labels can bring up sterotypes that portray the hobby in a negative light.

You artful dodger you!:hat:

Unfortunately Junior's surname IS "Geek," (Hellenic) which is only further complicated by his parents choices: "Frank King Jr" which in turn has made his military ascent all the more painful, hasn't it Major sir?

That's correct, Major Frank King Geek Jr. God bless you sir.:hat:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
GiantThuggee said:

You can label yourself as much as you like provided you own that label. This is a label that has history and was never intended as anything other that a word to be use in hate.

If this is the case, then it must be acceptable to use the n-word openly. It's just a word, isn't it?

Nurhachi1991

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZEdDMQZaCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JuniorJones said:
You can label yourself as much as you like provided you own that label. This is a label that has history and was never intended as anything other that a word to be use in hate.

Intents change. I think it's pretty clearly become a much, much more acceptable term and one that people own. Geek has gone mainstream.

JuniorJones said:
If this is the case, then it must be acceptable to use the n-word openly. It's just a word, isn't it?

You really want to open that can of worms? Man's just trying to make himself a movie...

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Attila the Professor said:
Intents change. I think it's pretty clearly become a much, much more acceptable term and one that people own. Geek has gone mainstream.

Has it? I don't really see this as being a badge of honour.

Attila the Professor said:
You really want to open that can of worms? Man's just trying to make himself a movie...

Always willing to debate any "ism" and I'm more than happy for him to make his movie but with the understanding that title itself has set tone for it's participants to be ridiculed.

Montana Smith

JuniorJones said:

The 'N' word is taboo, because according to the original rhyme the Nerds weren't as clever or as lucky as the Geeks:

Ten little Nerd boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Nerd boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Nerd boys traveling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Nerd boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Nerd boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Nerd boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Nerd boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Nerd boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two Little Nerd boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Nerd boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none

Geek or nerd, dweeb or spaz, it doesn't matter what term you accept as an individual...just as long as "they" can sell it to you for a lot of money.
san-diego-comic-con.jpg

Here's how I will decide: which term, geek or nerd contains "Steampunk?" Cuz I want no part in that.:)

Montana Smith said:
Ten little Nerd boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Nerd boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Nerd boys traveling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Nerd boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Nerd boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Nerd boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Nerd boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Nerd boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two Little Nerd boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Nerd boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none

Great Agatha Christie novel: Ten Little Niggers/Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None...

Remarkable progression.

I.M.J.

JuniorJones said:

Isn't this kind of a nerdy thing to worry about? -ahem-
In any event, don't sweat it. It's simply become a pop culture term where the stigma has diminished. Businesses even use it for the irony... "Geek Squad".

Yeesh.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I.M.J. said:
Isn't this kind of a nerdy thing to worry about? .

No.

I.M.J. said:
In any event, don't sweat it. It's simply become a pop culture term where the stigma has diminished. Businesses even use it for the irony... "Geek Squad". Yeesh.

That's great. I guess those people that use the word can be full vindicate in harassing, bullying and belittling other people who don't fit into their model. Nice!(y)