Some pics from my collection

griffbo

I started a thread a couple of months back asking about Smith's crisps food premiums http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=22712.

Obviously it was a bit rude of me to just burst on to the scene and enquire about one of the 'holy grails' (pardon the pun) of Indiana Jones food premiums without offering more about my collection. I tried not to disappoint by offering up a few more items but it seems appetites have been whetted.

This post is to hopefully satiate some of those appetites although I don't think I'll be able to push the collecting boundary too far. Anyway enough waffle. Enjoy a few more pics from my collection.

The first one is the good old LJN figures from Temple of Doom. Oh why oh why did I think it would be a good idea to see how the battle-matic action actually worked...

2012-12-28112802_zps5609bb7b.jpg

I love these Find your Fate adventure books but, just like the Smith's crisps food premiums, I'm still trying to complete the set. This is a running theme for me across both my Indiana Jones and Star Wars collections. My problem is that I spread myself too thin...

2012-12-28120818_zps72b54536.jpg

The TSR games are another Indiana Jones piece that I love mainly because of the artwork. Never played the game though...

2012-12-28110917_zpsa520e8aa.jpg

I'll try and post some more over the next few days.

HenryJunior

That's a lot of cool stuff! I never knew R.L. Stine wrote some Indy Books. I love how sequels were a bigger deal in the 80's and they had to put "New!" on merchandise :D

griffbo

A couple of UK quad posters from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The first one is the advance quad and the second was the general release one.

2012-12-28115131_zpse2a1ecbd.jpg

2012-12-28115047_zps92c79177.jpg

griffbo

This is a pic of some more printed material. The illustrated screenplays from the first 2 films. I loved these and I have a similar set for the original Star Wars films. Nice books. The official collector's edition, again, was something that had the same print layout as the Star Wars films and I'm sure other blockbusters in the 80's had a similar product.
The items along the bottom are cinema-related items.

2012-12-28111324_zpsb6d03e3a.jpg

griffbo

4 jigsaw puzzles released in the UK by Waddingtons for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Each puzzle comes with a fold-out poster depicting each puzzle scene. Again, there was a similar set produced by the same company for Return of the Jedi a year earlier.

2012-12-28111651_zps71e9846e.jpg

griffbo

The OST LPs and dialogue LPs for the first 2 films. Also cassette versions of the Read-Along storybooks.

2012-12-28111854_zpsaa7c5e8c.jpg

griffbo

A couple of US 1-sheets from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The advance and the regular 1-sheet.

IMG_0183_zps902b05ee.jpg

IMG_0197_zps152b196a.jpg

BTW, those are my feet in the shot above and, no, they're not collectible :D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
You have some nice things...another museum in the making!

Hasn't everyone got one!;)

griffbo said:
The first one is the good old LJN figures from Temple of Doom. Oh why oh why did I think it would be a good idea to see how the battle-matic action actually worked...

It worked alright. It worked in completely devaluing the product 30 years into the future! Still, I bet you had indytastic fun.

griffbo said:
I love these Find your Fate adventure books but, just like the Smith's crisps food premiums, I'm still trying to complete the set. This is a running theme for me across both my Indiana Jones and Star Wars collections. My problem is that I spread myself too thin

These are great product especially if your prepared to go the extra mile and get both the Sphere, Ballantine and then the foreign editions.

The killers are Elephant, Ape Slaves and Genghis Kahn Ballantine editions however just to read them they can be picked cheap via the 1994 Ballantine reprints.

griffbo said:
Here are the storybooks from all 4 films

I love the Temple of Doom edition simply for the fact it was re-printed by Marks and Spencers (UK)under the banner St Michael and by Dunnes (Ireland) under the St Bernard banner!

griffbo said:
4 jigsaw puzzles released in the UK by Waddingtons for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Each puzzle comes with a fold-out poster depicting each puzzle scene. Again, there was a similar set produced by the same company for Return of the Jedi a year earlier.

These are supercool. The 2008 Ravensburger releases complement them well.

griffbo said:
Poster mags from the first 3 films. Does anybody know if a poster mag was produced for Crystal Skull?

In the UK? The closest version was the Indiana Jones KOTCS Movie Mag.

RS said:
But this is truly fantastic...deserving a frame.

The UK quads are amazing. They just fill a wall. By the time Last Crusade came out you'd think I'd have IJ wallpaper. I love the Leciester Square editions for the Royal Premiere - where Lucas gave Diana a screen used whip that then was part of the items allegedly stolen by Diana's butler!

Griffbo. Thanks for shares. Great stuff.:D :D :D

griffbo

Some more UK comics. These were issued by Marvel UK between October 1984 and August 1985 and reprinted some of the Marvel US comics. Issues 1 and 6 came with free gifts which you can see in the first picture.

The second picture also includes the Marvel UK comic adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

2013-02-22185210_zps94daec1d.jpg

2013-02-22185420_zpsd40b9ad3.jpg

griffbo

In the early 90's there was a short-lived series of UK monthlies produced by Trident Comics. This series covered the Fate of Atlantis comic book series as well as some Marvel reprints.

2013-02-22184510_zps4f347fca.jpg

griffbo

Finally a selection of UK annuals. The Last Crusade annual is interesting in that it shows an unused scene from the film.

2013-02-22190129_zpsb3916fef.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
griffbo said:
Some more UK comics. These were issued by Marvel UK between October 1984 and August 1985 and reprinted some of the Marvel US comics. Issues 1 and 6 came with free gifts which you can see in the first picture.

The second picture also includes the Marvel UK comic adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

2013-02-22185210_zps94daec1d.jpg

2013-02-22185420_zpsd40b9ad3.jpg

A bizarre cross of UK/US comics. Issue 9 competition prizes were Zeon watch and Alarm Clock.

The alarm clock is banned in the house as it is too loud however next year I'm going to do a thirty year wake-up!:D

griffbo

I'm not sure if bizarre is the right word. These are normal collectible items aren't they?
Most collectors tend to collect the US comics because they're easy to get hold of and the UK comics have always been better than US comics (even black and white) because they're more personal and offer the free gifts which, as a collector, makes them harder to find in mint condition.

griffbo

Of course if we're talking bizarre then these are more applicable but then again to Spanish, Italian or Hungarian collectors they're pretty much the norm.

2013-02-23120827_zps7ad208b6.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
not sure if bizarre is the right word. These are normal collectible items aren't they?
Most collectors tend to collect the US comics because they're easy to get hold of and the UK comics have always been better than US comics (even black and white) because they're more personal and offer the free gifts which, as a collector, makes them harder to find in mint condition.

Bizarre in the sense of culture clash as both countries have a unique way of publishing comics.

These are normal collectible items aren't they?

If adventure has a name...it's collectable!

Of course if we're talking bizarre then these are more applicable but then again to Spanish, Italian or Hungarian collectors they're pretty much the norm.

You could tour the world and find something in every country!

Last edited: