Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer

BrodyIsDead

OK, y'all, here's an idea that's probably not original at all and I'm hoping it's allowed by the rules of these boards but why don't we try and write an Indy story together! :cool:

I'll start us off below and then with each new reply to my post someone could add a new sentence, paragraph, or page to progress the story and continue the adventure! :whip:

This could either be a whipcracking success or a monkey-chattering failure, so it depends whether anyone's inspired enough to come along for the ride... :)

OK, the story's only rules are that it should explain how Indy lost his eye... (ever seen the original Young Indy episodes with 93 year old Indy wearing an eye-patch?) - we know that in 1950 he still had both eyes intact, and the new Indy IV film will be set in the 1950s/early 60s, so let's set this story in 1964? And it all begins in China on the steps of the Great Wall...

(A Raven Forum Collaboration Story)​

The sculpted mud tower stood tall on the tabletop as its maker, a wizened Chinese trinket seller stunned the gathered crowd with his pottery skills. His brown, wet hands smoothed out the clay for another minute until he finally stop peddling his table wheel and picked up a small brass cup, shaking it for the crowd to show their appreciation.

Some people threw in their pocket change but others quickly walked away, rejoining the path along the Great Wall which sprawled out to the left and right for miles. As the old potter was left shaking his head at his measly takings, a shadow of a much larger figure towered above him and his scultpure.

The shadow's owner began to speak in broken Mandarin but it was obvious from his lack of a local accent that he was American.

"I speak English, stranger" whispered the old Chinaman. "You can stop trying to impress me with your phrasebook language."

Indiana Jones took off his battered fedora and stepped closer to the potter's table. He leant close to the old man and whispered what he'd come all this way to say so that no-one else could hear him...

Last edited:

moondrifter

i think your idea is fab!! shame no one else has replied...... give me time to think of the next sentence/paragraph and i'll post it when i'm ready. should be fun huh?

BrodyIsDead

Indy whispers...

Thanks, Moondrifter! :> Was dissapointed for a while that no-one else had replied to what I thought was generally a fun idea of mine... :D

Anyway, feel free to post the next exciting installment whenever you're ready - it IS Indy who whispers, so I guess you're first line will be to decide what he's come all that way to say...

:confused:

moondrifter

"I...um.....er..." He took a step back and looked around for a moment. Nobody was really paying any attention but Indy felt that checking anyway was a habit he'd picked up on his adventures.

It's not very long, but i felt i had to write something!! i'll try and come up with something else asap but i'll see what happens. Still not sure what he's gonna say, as u've left the plot open (kinda a good thing, i suppose). I'm afraid it won't meet ur expectations as u r so much a budding writer! tell me what u think tho and have u got any tips?

BrodyIsDead

...just an amateur myself!

That's brill so far! And no worries about the length of it, it's the first reply and extention to the story so far, so let's see if any more come along - if nothing's on by the start of next week, I'll add the next paragraph and we can keep knocking it up between ourselves :cool:

As to writing advice, I'm no expert - I just like to write and read adventure stories so the more twists and turns the better! Don't be afraid to introduce new characters or put wild, out-there dialogue into Indy's mouth - it'll be surprising how the story will turn out :p Just enjoy the writing process...

Keep replying, Moondrifter! I'm relying on you! (No pressure... ;) )

moondrifter

no problemo! i'm really enjoying the thought of how this story could turn out, there are so many possibilites. This is the first time i've done anything like this though, so i'll try my best. The good job is i am liking it so i want it to work. have you done anything like this before?

moondrifter

BrodyIsDead said:
OK, the story's only rules are that it should explain how Indy lost his eye... (ever seen the original Young Indy episodes with 93 year old Indy wearing an eye-patch?) - we know that in 1950 he still had both eyes intact, and the new Indy IV film will be set in the 1950s/early 60s, so let's set this story in 1964? And it all begins in China on the steps of the Great Wall...

I'm sorry though, i haven't seen the young indy episodes you mention above, could u give me more info concerning this or point me in the direction of some?

BrodyIsDead

Patches...

the series had a 90-year-old Indiana Jones living in the 1990s and recounting the days of his youth to anyone who would listen - the old Indy wore an eye-patch and to my knowledge (limited as it is) in Indy lore, the reason he wore the eyepatch has never been explained. :D

Here's a link to a pic of him as an old man:

http://www.starwars.jp/indianajones/chapter/old_indy.html

It's his right eye so let's get that right at least in the story but other than that the reason can be worked towards by the story's last few lines maybe...

I've never really done anything like this before but hopefully it'll be fun! ;)

moondrifter

wow! i had no idea there were stories like that about indy: quite shameful for a fan not to know that eh?! but i'm more interested in the 3 films.......the last crusade is definitely my fave!!:p

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Here's our avatar of him, you need 10000 posts for it.

indy_old.gif

BrodyIsDead

and so the end is near...

Oh, well, shame I couldn't tempt many of you with the excitement of an adventure in the making... :(

Looks like this thread is soon to be burned up so maybe the Curse of the Chinese Whisperer will resurface somewhere, sometime... ;)

I enjoyed giving it a go anyways! :p

moondrifter

no don't leave!! lol

me and fish friend flo have come up with the plot and we'll post very soon...............u can't just abandon a great idea!

BrodyIsDead

oh, alright then :>

Wow... Just when I thought all hope was lost! :whip:

Will look forward to your posts and hopefully this thread won't be discarded before you put it up here! (hope the moderators are listening!!!) :p

Anyway, I promise to continue whatever story continuance you guys post - and we can then hit it back and forwards here in the British Isles! No non-Brits seem interested... :cool:

Am sure you're writing will be ace! :D

Flossie Sequin

hi im fish friend flo(was at least) and our idea was that indy lost his eye from being scratched by a cursed dog, Indy's right eye of course. We had the plot all writen down until one of our friends took it so we are havin to rewrite it, may take a while...:)

moondrifter

some friend.....eh?! typical, just when u get the brainwave of the century it gets taken away by someone u thought u could trust.....
friends ha!

Flossie Sequin

Its just typical isnt it? next time i shouldnt let them read it, it took sooo long to write (1 very boring english lesson to be exact). Ive come up with what indy says which is

"have you heard of the Chinese Lung- Kou?"

and for all you people who dont know the Chinese Lung- Kou is,its a rare chinese dog, and Lung- Kou translates to dragon dog heres a picture
foo_pups.jpg

arent they sweet?

moondrifter

sorry floflo, not too keen on dogs. clouds are fab though!! what's the plan in getting the story back? how's about a mission impossible type thing?!

BrodyIsDead

Dragon Dogs... Now you're onto something

Nice work so far, guys,

I like the way this is developing so please keep going!

OK, so my next sentence to add is at the end of the whole thing pasted below:

(A Raven Forum Collaboration Story)

The sculpted mud tower stood tall on the tabletop as its maker, a wizened Chinese trinket seller stunned the gathered crowd with his pottery skills. His brown, wet hands smoothed out the clay for another minute until he finally stop peddling his table wheel and picked up a small brass cup, shaking it for the crowd to show their appreciation.

Some people threw in their pocket change but others quickly walked away, rejoining the path along the Great Wall which sprawled out to the left and right for miles. As the old potter was left shaking his head at his measly takings, a shadow of a much larger figure towered above him and his scultpure.

The shadow's owner began to speak in broken Mandarin but it was obvious from his lack of a local accent that he was American.

"I speak English, stranger" whispered the old Chinaman. "You can stop trying to impress me with your phrasebook language."

Indiana Jones took off his battered fedora and stepped closer to the potter's table. He leant close to the old man and whispered what he'd come all this way to say so that no-one else could hear him...

"I...um.....er..." He took a step back and looked around for a moment. Nobody was really paying any attention but Indy felt that checking anyway was a habit he'd picked up on his adventures.

"Have you heard of the Chinese Lung- Kou? That WAS what you were about to ask me, wasn't it?" The potter grinned, revealing three white teeth from less than a full set that also included several that were black and green. He cackled slightly.

"But... how...?" Indiana Jones gasped.

"I know a many great things, Dr Jones. Including why you're so interested in the late Emperor's Dragon Dog statues. And I can assure you, they may be considered a myth nowadays but when I was a boy servant at the palace, I saw them with my own eyes."