Did KOTCS succeed as a B movie?

Raiders90

The intention by Lucas was to make a modernized '50s Sci Fi B movie, with Indy in the lead. Would you say on that level, the film succeeded?

Duaner

Raiders112390 said:
The intention by Lucas was to make a modernized '50s Sci Fi B movie, with Indy in the lead. Would you say on that level, the film succeeded?

I would say it did. I remember Lucas saying that just as "Raiders" had been a tribute to the 1930s cliffhanger serials, since the action was moving to the 1950s, "Crystal Skull" would be a tribute to the 1950s sci-fi B-movie craze. I think that looking at it from that standpoint makes it a better film. Watching some of the old 50s sci-fi flicks can also help build a better appreciation for "Crystal Skull" - in my opinion. Take it for what it is.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Did KOTCS succeed as a B movie?
No, it didn't "succeed as a B movie" because:

1) It cost too much money to make.
2) The special effects were too good.
3) It starred too many 'big name' actors.
4) It was 30-60 minutes too long.
Duaner said:
Watching some of the old 50s sci-fi flicks can also help build a better appreciation for "Crystal Skull" - in my opinion.
Agreed. 1950s sci-fi films were something that I had long ignored except for the classics. Now, since "Skull" came out, I've seen tonnes of them and can appreciate Indy 4 a tiny bit more.