Anyone else hate driving?

Nurhachi1991

Ive had my liscense now for a few years and I can honestly say I hate driving everytime I get behind the wheel I get extremly nervous and tense I keep thinking im going to get into an accident and I really HATE freeways.

Anyone else have this problem?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I felt a bit like that at first, when I was learning, and shortly thereafter, not really being totally comfortable behind the wheel. Since though, I've come to find it one of the most serene occupations there can be, if I don't have a destination and there's not much traffic. I highly recommend a cross-country road trip if you ever get the chance. It's a great experience, coast-to-coast.

KiKi Kat

I HATE drivin. I'm not a nervous driver or anything like that I just don't like it. I would rather drive on an interstate then anywhere though.

Nurhachi1991

Yeah that does sound really relaxing Attila.

My Grandfather just gave me his car yesterday and now I have to drive to school and work and Im just nervous im going to screw something up. At my job I have to park in a parking structure which have never done before

The Drifter

I live in a rural place (the backwoods of West Virginia), and the county that I live in does not even have a interstate. I enjoy driving the two-lanes, and driving some back roads just to see where they go. I also like to drive those old dirt roads that go into the mountains around here.

But, I am nervous to drive on a freeway. Growing up in a rural place like this never prepared me for driving in busy areas.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Yeah that does sound really relaxing Attila.

My Grandfather just gave me his car yesterday and now I have to drive to school and work and Im just nervous im going to screw something up. At my job I have to park in a parking structure which have never done before

Hah, yeah, those are a fun time at first. Just take it slow and mind the corners.

AnnieJones

Nurhachi1991 said:
Ive had my liscense now for a few years and I can honestly say I hate driving everytime I get behind the wheel I get extremly nervous and tense I keep thinking im going to get into an accident and I really HATE freeways.

Anyone else have this problem?
I felt like that at first,but I got better.Just hang in there you'll feel better getting behind the wheel soon.(y)

Nurhachi1991

Thanks everyone :)

I have school tomorrow bright and early and get to park in a parking garage lucky me!

and I will definatly mind the corners Atilla

DocWhiskey

I remember when I was first learning to drive I couldn't understand how people listened to music, talked on phones, or even read while driving (many still can't :p ). It's a newbie thing. Months past, and I was completely comfortable driving.

I suggest driving at night ,when you have time, just to get more comfortable. I live in Chicago, so it's rush hour 24/7 and driving on the expressway sometimes feels like the jungle chase scene from KOTCS. And I honestly believe new drivers should automatically get their license if they survive driving downtown for 15 minutes. Talk about a zoo. But I got used to it, so I'm sure you will.

AlivePoet

Attila the Professor said:
I felt a bit like that at first, when I was learning, and shortly thereafter, not really being totally comfortable behind the wheel. Since though, I've come to find it one of the most serene occupations there can be, if I don't have a destination and there's not much traffic. I highly recommend a cross-country road trip if you ever get the chance. It's a great experience, coast-to-coast.

Truly. I found a ride on craigslist with a fellow driving from Montreal to Vancouver back in May...we made it there in 46 straight hours. Absolutely incredible experience.

Le Saboteur

No, I happen to enjoy driving. I do hate commuting, though. After walking a half-block to work (and six at the most) for a decade, commuting twenty-odd miles is absurd.

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
Just got back from College and I diddnt get into an accident parked in the garage and everything :D

Awesome!
Just don't pick up any wandering hitch-hikers on your next trip.

Indy Scout 117 said:
absolutley not!! i love driving around in my big bad truck!! ;)
I don't drive yet but I'm asking my parents to get me a learners license so I can drive with a adult. I'm very excited!

My friend Brianna is trying to clean and dress here truck so she can get her learners and start driving. She wants me to be the first person in her truck but, I don't know what my parents will think of that :(

I'm afraid I might get nervous when I start driving but I like car games so I'm hoping I won't freak out.

Nurhachi don't worry you will catch on fast just think of MJ's song Don't stop till you get enough ;) (y)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uqjselK1hy4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uqjselK1hy4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just watch out for girls crossing the street.
hidamari-sketch-ost.jpg

Trennas

I dunno.. I never had my own car before, even though I have had my license for a few years. So the amount of time spent driving after I got that is like 8 hours tops maybe? Then again, I'm not much of a driving person. I much rather tend to reading the map and things like that XD

My girlfriend and I always joke that we are like Han and Chewie piloting the Falcon. She drives and I usually navigate and am her extra pair of eyes on the road. We actually make a pretty good team together :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hate it. Part of the reason why I have taken this long to get my licence (17.5- 18 is the age to get one in Australia). The other reason was time and money.

To get your licence here, I've had to record 100 hours of driving, including 10 hours night driving and 10 hours with a driving teacher. Of course, I've had more than just 10 hours with the driving teacher and once I get my licence hopefully in two weeks in my test, I will have spent nearly a couple of thousand, to get it. It's something that everyone has to have in society and is expected of people, but damn, it certainly costs a packet. And that's just the licence.

Once you get that, then you have to get a car, insurance and registration and it just goes on with petrol expenses.

I'm still pretty frustrated with driving, mostly with parking, I keep having trouble manovering (I know I spelt that wrong, I can't remember how to spell it right now) the car into place.

Generally, driving's ok. I used to be a lot more nervous when I was younger, the first time I went for it at 17 (I did a test and failed, my driving teacher it turns out wasn't very good and wasn't teaching me properly).

I've got a better teacher now and am driving around roads that I know better.

Le Saboteur

But without your license you can't come to an Oakland Sideshow!

Note: there is some objectionable language.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS85jXrq-9w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS85jXrq-9w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

teampunk

i hate driving! it just bores the living crap out of me. about 6 years ago my car broke down and i had to ride my bike everywhere. i loved it. even in the rain. now i only drive like 15 miles a month and bike almost everywhere. best thing i ever did.