Indy comic from UK Titan Magazine

lightsyder

I've seen where Titan has a page on their site announcing a new Indiana Jones comic. Anyone have any more details on it?

Also, anyone in the UK willing to help us in the US get a copy? :D

Ignatius Stone

I flipped through a copy last week in the store. If I remember, it just reprints the KOTCS adaptation in serialized form, along with some text features, photos and stuff.
It will probably reprint some Dark Horse material in future issues, too.
It's nothing to get excited about.:sleep:

Ignatius Stone

It comes with a free toy attached to the cover.
A "Scary Snake"...
It's a coiled, brown rubber thing, in what looks to be official Indy packaging.

I'm serious. It's not pictured with the issue cover below, but it's what the "cool free gift" at the top refers to.

INDY.jpg

yodazone

Ignatius Stone said:
It comes with a free toy attached to the cover.
A "Scary Snake"...
It's a coiled, brown rubber thing, in what looks to be official Indy packaging.

I'm serious. It's not pictured with the issue cover below, but it's what the "cool free gift" at the top refers to.

INDY.jpg

Is this a regular sized comic or magazine sized?

I thought I read somewhere that these were being handed out at movie theaters too...

Lao_Che

yodazone said:
Is this a regular sized comic or magazine sized?

I thought I read somewhere that these were being handed out at movie theaters too...

It's magazine size.

Lao_Che

yodazone said:
cool! any new Indy comics in there?

:confused:

Probably just the other half of KotCS. It's unlikely IJC will publish anything new, like Star Wars Comic which just reprints titles.

Stoo

The Official Indiana Jones Comic - Titan UK Publication

After discussing this a bit recently in the Tomb of Gods thread, I really think it deserves it's own to
raise awareness for some collectors who are missing out (because it appears there are a few).;)

The "comic" is actually a magazine-sized printing of the Dark Horse series padded with articles, puzzles and ads.
It's a tri-weekly, UK-only publication by Titan Comics and costs £2.60. Each issue comes with an attached "free"
gimmick either taped or stapled to the cover. They also have BIG, double-sided centrefolds featuring Drew's
fabulous Indy artwork! (Not to mention the comic panels are larger due to the size of the mag.)

Sakis, posted a link to the subscription site in another thread way back but here it is again:
http://static.titanmagazines.com/promotions/uk_comic.html

I only have these below but am curious to know the content of the others. It looks like #1 had a snake.

Content: Part 2 of ? - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Free Toy: Notepad & Pen

OfficialComicUK_02small.jpg

Content: Part ? of ? - Tomb of Gods
Free Toy: 100 Stickers

OfficialComicUK_05small.jpg

Content: Part ? of ? - Tomb of Gods AND Part 1 of ? - Spear of Destiny
Free Toy: Build Your Own Skeleton

OfficialComicUK_06small.jpg

emtiem

Hello Stoo!
As I was saying in the Tomb thread, I picked up the new issue today (complete with Indy dog tags!)- the new part of Tomb of the Gods looks stunning.
It says the next issue is out on 23rd October, which would mean that Tomb of the Gods part 3 (or half of it!) would get its World Premiere in this comic! :D

Stoo

I see on the subscription site that #8 has already been assigned a catalogue number but it ends there.
What was the toy for #1? What did #3 & 4 have (inside & out). What is Indy's rank on the dogtags?
Hope you don't mind so many questions, emtiem.:p

P.S. Is emtiem short for Mary Tyler Moore? "You can take the world on with a smile...":D

emtiem

That's disappointing: the new one is due out tomorrow but from the website it looks like there's no new installment of Tomb of the Gods :(

Stoo

Mr. emtiem, if you picked up #7, may I ask what is in it and what is the "free gift"?

Lao_Che said:
Doesn't one of them say Mutt was born in 1935?
I don't know. His bio must be in either issue #1, 3 or 4. There are 2 biographies per mag.
The 2-page spread of the Manhattan skyline from "Tomb of the Gods" looks great at such a large size.

The Magic Rat

So why is that one so much better than the one I subscribe to here in the states? That looks like a lot more effort than the one they put out every two months here. I'm a subscriber to Titan's American Indiana Jones magazine. It's okay, but nothing great.

Stoo

It's not that's this one is better but BIGGER with a larger format than your average magazine. (9"x12" vs. 8"x11" approx.)
Against the smaller, comic book size (6+3/4"x10"), the double-paged spread of Manhattan is a whopping 18" wide compared to 13.5".

The Official Indiana Jones Magazine is the better effort of the two. This is basically comic chapters and filler material for kids with the
filler being similar to the Offical Mag content. A few puzzles here and there and many ads but the centrefolds are nice if you like Indy art.
As one who collects printed material, I'm interested because they are rather unique items which I occasionally have the opportunity to get.

One of the pages has pictures of back issues, so I can scan it and post the covers for #1, 3 & 4 unless anyone knows of a link somwhere...
Oh, and welcome to The Raven, Magic Rat.:hat: :whip:

The Magic Rat

Stoo said:
It's not that's this one is better but BIGGER with a larger format than your average magazine. (9"x12" vs. 8"x11" approx.)
Against the smaller, comic book size (6+3/4"x10"), the double-paged spread of Manhattan is a whopping 18" wide compared to 13.5".

The Official Indiana Jones Magazine is the better effort of the two. This is basically comic chapters and filler material for kids with the
filler being similar to the Offical Mag content. A few puzzles here and there and many ads but the centrefolds are nice if you like Indy art.
As one who collects printed material, I'm interested because they are rather unique items which I occasionally have the opportunity to get.

One of the pages has pictures of back issues, so I can scan it and post the covers for #1, 3 & 4 unless anyone knows of a link somwhere...
Oh, and welcome to The Raven, Magic Rat.:hat: :whip:

Thanks very much, I am very much enjoying my time here! ;)

Well, I'm glad that the official Indy magazine appears as the better effort. Indy art can be pretty dang cool though when it's done well. Do you have any idea how long you think they will continue to publish this version? Does it seem like a long lasting print or something they will let fade away within the year?

Side not, that would be quite cool to see all the pictures!

Very interesting thread.

BrodyIsDead

view from the UK...

I've actually been buying these comics in the UK since they started earlier this year... And although I was initially impressed with them, I'm starting to realise that they're just finding new ways to simply put out older, out of print Indy stuff... (not a bad thing on the one hand, but their lack of original material, and imagination, is starting to really bug me)

For instance, they did give us here in the UK a couple of parts of Tomb Of The Gods but then left us hanging for the last two issues with reprints of the now OLD Spear Of Destiny strip (which many other Indy fans will already have!)

I just think it's annoying that they're charging money for old comic strips - why can't we have something new and totally original - my suspicion is that Titan only have the "reprint rights" here in the UK (even with their Official Indy Magazine, there's mostly cobbled together articles from the Complete Making Of book already written by someone else, namely Laurent Bouzereau!)

I'm an avid and dedicated Indy fan but am fast coming to the conclusion that the likes of Titan are just trying to make a quick buck off someone like me who is fool enough to buy regurgitated stuff from the past...

Sorry to vent, fellow patrons of the Raven, but this has been bugging me over a few issues of both the comic and the mag, so it felt like a good time to air my views...