IndyFan

Pirates of the Caribbean (5): Dead Men Tell No Tales

Has a release date of July 10th 2015

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/1...-jack-sparrow/
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Has a release date of July 10th 2015

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/1...-jack-sparrow/

How many do they plan on making? 15?
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
kongisking
IndyFan

I wouldn't mind. I happen to love this universe and (most of) the characters in it...though OST had horrific pacing problems and some boneheaded characterization (I'm looking at you, missionary and mermaid subplot!). Otherwise, a nice romp, but nowhere near the daffy fun of the first three films. Hope 5 can restore some of the delightful charm they had.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
and some boneheaded characterization (I'm looking at you, ... mermaid subplot!).

we all were:
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
How many do they plan on making? 15?

They've no reason to stop with the last movie bringing in $1 billion.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
AndyLGR
IndyFan

These films I think are a different take on the Indy style of film making and are perfectly enjoyable. Nothing too taxing on the brain.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
They've no reason to stop with the last movie bringing in $1 billion.

That's on ticket sales alone! The numbers on video sales and merchandise are at least that, if not double. And who knows how many people descended onto the various parks to experience the various shows and attractions... like this one!

They're even expanding the whole Pirate's League from a day into an entire week of events!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Parks
Pirate Week: Why talk like a pirate one day when you could celebrate these scalawags all week long? The adventures of Jack Sparrow come to life like never before during a bicoastal buccaneer bash in which Disneyland and Walt Disney World become pirate-palooza: pirate bands, pirate meet-and-greets and more.

With a new director and a better script that doesn't try and shoehorn everything into one movie, a fifth outing could be highly entertaining. Wonder if we'll see the percolating rumor of a Pirates Mega-Theme given the film treatment instead of in the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Forgotten: Jean Laffite
A canal in New Orleans Square, labeled "1764," is all that remains of a plan to unify several themes in the land.

The plan called for a crypt next to the Mansion that led into an underground catacomb of treasure and dead pirates, culminating in a pirate-themed hideout on Tom Sawyer Island. The pirate theme would have focused on Jean Laffite, a real-life pirate from the early 1800s in New Orleans. Laffite’s name might be familiar to frequent Disneyland visitors from the Pirates of the Caribbean loading zone, where a sign reads "Laffite’s Landing." The date 1764 was derived by subtracting 200 years from the birth date of one Imagineer who worked on the project. [Editor's note: this was Matt McKim, son of legendary Imagineer Sam McKim.] FURTHERMORE: Before its replacement with La Petite Patisserie, there was also a Laffite’s Silver Shop in New Orleans Square. Having a Jean Laffite identified as the "owner" of the Haunted Mansion would have united Pirates of the Caribbean with the Mansion and the island into one underlying theme, an unusual feat for an entire land. Though unrealized, the plan lives on in the form of this barricaded "crypt."

Further reading can be found over here.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Jack Sparrow rules the waves.

And the shelves!

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Further reading can be found over here.
Wow, when Tom Hanks is done playing Walt Disney maybe he can do Da Vinci Code 4 there.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Has a release date of July 10th 2015...

And now they're supposed to have a director to helm the picture. Deadline is reporting that the Norwegian duo behind the much lauded Kon Tiki have received their blessings from Depp & Bruckheimer. Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg are now expected to finalize a deal in short order that will see principle photography commence late this year or early 2014.

But that's not the only pirate-y adventure that's preparing to make sail. No, this time around the teevee people are set to capitalize on the resurgence in popularity. Michael Bay's Black Sails will be the first to get out of port.

And for those members in the vicinity of Orlando, Disney World has added yet another C-ticket attraction based on the Pirates of the Caribbean mega-franchise.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
kongisking
IndyFan

Michael Bay, doing a p-p-p-p-pirate movie? Woe is the Earth...

Actually, no. That sounds like a delicious bit of so-bad-its-good in the making. Bring it on.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Michael Bay, doing a p-p-p-p-pirate movie? Woe is the Earth...

TeeVee series, yo. Follow the provided link, and you'll note that he's merely acting as executive producer on the series. The guy behind Jericho & Human Target is acting as showrunner.

But getting back to the fifth Pirates. /Film is reporting that the next outing of Jack Sparrow & Company has an Indiana Jones connection -- Jeff Nathanson just handed in his rewrite of Elliott & Rossio's script. If Mr. Nathanson sounds familiar to some of you, he's credited with the story for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And we all know how well that went over.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Moedred
Administrator

I'll guess the action takes them through Devil's Bayou.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I'll guess the action takes them through Devil's Bayou.
An even better Disney location would be Dead Man's Bayou from 1971.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales?

http://thisisinfamous.com/exclusive-...urce=hovercard
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
TeeVee series, yo. Follow the provided link, and you'll note that he's merely acting as executive producer on the series. The guy behind Jericho & Human Target is acting as showrunner.

But getting back to the fifth Pirates. /Film is reporting that the next outing of Jack Sparrow & Company has an Indiana Jones connection -- Jeff Nathanson just handed in his rewrite of Elliott & Rossio's script. If Mr. Nathanson sounds familiar to some of you, he's credited with the story for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And we all know how well that went over.

Why are we all of a sudden blaming Nathanson for that? It was David Koepp who created the final script, warts and all.

Oh, and strange(r) title. Was hoping for something slightly more original. But oh well.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Pale Horse

Quote:
Why are we all of a sudden blaming Nathanson for that?

Did you read the Nathanson script?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse

No, I haven't, but I was under the impression that it was Koepp's script that most people revile. I could very likely be wrong on that, admittedly...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Quote:
No, I haven't, but I was under the impression that it was Koepp's script that most people revile. I could very likely be wrong on that, admittedly...

I was gonna say, if either of you guys read the Nathanson Draft I would be flabbergasted. In fact I'd go so far as to say jealous. I've been looking for that one since... well since before Crystal Skull came out.

...goin' on 7 years later and I'm still empty handed. Only thing I know about The Nathanson daft is that it introduced the idea of an offspring (whether male or female, well thats another story).

Anyway... carry on...
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
...goin' on 7 years later and I'm still empty handed. Only thing I know about The Nathanson daft is that it introduced the idea of an offspring (whether male or female, well thats another story).

Anyway... carry on...

Darabont introduced a girl. It's always about a girl. Which would have been nice...seeing that there's a girl in the YIJC...Nathanson changed it. And added the Ants.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Darabont introduced a girl. It's always about a girl. Which would have been nice...seeing that there's a girl in the YIJC...Nathanson changed it. And added the Ants.

I'll always be grateful to Nathanson, then, for the ants. If it weren't for those little bastards, we wouldn't have gotten Indy vs. Dovchenko, which was one of the best scenes in the movie.

As for Pirates 5, I hope that the supporting characters are better than some of the ones in On Stranger Tides (the missionary was good for one thing only: allowing that great quip by Jack to exist).
It actually sort of angered me that all those guys we got to love in the trilogy (Pintel, Ragetti, Cotton and Marty) were supposedly killed in between movies by Blackbeard.
I'd also like to see the East India Trading Company as villains again, as in my mind they kind of act as the Nazis to Jack's Indy.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Darabont introduced a girl. It's always about a girl.
There's no offspring in the Darabont draft we have. Either or both Boam or Nathanson may have introduced a girl before or after him. Find those scripts, or ask the players more specific questions, and you'll be closer to the truth.

Who likes puzzles? These pieces don't fit.
Quote:
Nathanson changed it. And added the Ants.
Jeb Stuart's script has ants.

Back to Pirates 5...
Quote:
First of all, there’s going to be a new female lead, a sparring partner for Jack Sparrow. She’s nothing like him, mind you – despite being suspected of witchcraft, she’s actually a woman of science. Expect some sexual chemistry, but also expect it to be a touch one sided…
There’s more to her character, but the best stuff is very spoilery.
As for witches, they’re central to whole conceit. There are some other, actual witches involved. If Tia Dalma, from the second and third films, makes another appearance, it’s a minor one but it’ll be very easy to leave her out. These new witches have somewhat less of a hoodoo flavouring.
Keeping up the supernatural flavour, there’s also going to be a ghost in a leading role. It’s this character, a former member of the British military now sided with Barbossa on a revenge mission, that gives the film its title.
And just in case you miss the other half of the equation, the dripping wet Orlando Bloom or Keira Knightley roles, they’ll this time go to a couple of pretty young Brits from farming families. They’re pure subplot fodder, however, and if anything gets the chop it will be these two.
I can tell you that the film starts with a rather awkward wedding and climaxes with a riff on the myth of the Bermuda Triangle.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Back to Pirates 5...

I think there's some neat ideas here, but why, oh why are they shoehorning in yet another pointless romance subplot? Didn't they learn from On Stranger Tides, that you can't make that work unless if you make them the main focus and Jack a roguish sidekick, like the original trilogy did.

It's actually a shame Jack became as popular as he did, as it resulted in everyone bashing the true protagonists of the trilogy, Will and Elizabeth, because they weren't as fascinatingly quirky. Now everyone thinks that what they want is a Jack-centric film, but the character really works better as a scheming trickster supporting character. Too much of him is, well, too much. I fear the series is doomed to be wholesale turned on by the public, because the general movie-goer's demand to see Jack dominate stories is going too far, and soon folks will well and truly have had too much of a good thing.

That, and Depp is pretty much nothing but quirky and eccentric in his mainstream roles now. The "holy crap, what a brilliantly unique and original character!" value has completely disappeared.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I'd also like to see the East India Trading Company as villains again, as in my mind they kind of act as the Nazis to Jack's Indy.
I've only seen the 1st movie and about 10 mins. of another (don't know which) but is the Honourable East India Company really in one of the films? (In the 1st one, it's the British Navy.)

If so, why has the name been changed and what the hell is the company doing in the WEST Indies! They were never there.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I've only seen the 1st movie and about 10 mins. of another (don't know which) but is the Honourable East India Company really in one of the films? (In the 1st one, it's the British Navy.)

If so, why has the name been changed and what the hell is the company doing in the WEST Indies! They were never there.

You're correct about the Navy. In the first film, they were the primary thorn in Will and Jack's side. Didn't help that Commodore Norrington was playing Javert in that film.

But in the first two sequels, the East India Trading Company (yes, they are referred to on screen as such) are portrayed as a fanatical, oppressive company that is rapidly taking over settlements in the Caribbean and indiscriminately hunting down and executing pirates everywhere, as well as people allied with them or, well, anyone who is an inconvenience in any way.

I take it this is not historically accurate?