Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #51
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength
I foresee a lot of geeks getting raccoons as household pets...I also see an increase in rabies shots.

Yes, because raccoons inherently come with rabies.

Marvel has formally released the trailer in full 1080p.

You're welcome.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #52
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Yes, because raccoons inherently come with rabies.

Inherently, no...but they are among the primary carriers. Though only one person has ever died of the raccoon strain of rabies, I'd bet anyone bitten by a creature that is classified as a wild animal is sure to get the shot(s). You wouldn't take precautions when your Groot cosplay goes awry after trying to stuff a real raccoon into a tiny orange jumpsuit to be your accessory?

I'd also wager $10 that there will be a "rabies" joke directed at Rocket at some point in this film

Last edited by featofstrength : 05-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #53
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #54
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Just revealed: Hot Toys' prototypes for their sixth scale Guardians line:

Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #55
Montana Smith
IndyFan

A new trailer:

Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #56
jsarino
IndyFan

A new TV spot...

jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #57
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #58
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Given the the week Fourth of July returns and the slate of weird movies and retreads between now and the GoG's August release, and I've got to say that this film might do some damage at the box office.

Let's see what Sco Jo can do -- but I'm not seeing much else besides fringe fare.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #59
kongisking
IndyFan

I went to a local AMC IMAX screening of 17 minutes from the film, and it was fantastic. This movie seems to have a perfect juggling act of humor and thrills and inventive effects going for it. All the characters had great bits that hint at awesome characterization possibilities, and the scene-stealers are absolutely Groot and Rocket. This movie's kicked my ass and taken my name...and I haven't even seen the whole thing yet. Guh.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #60
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Ah, bless his cotton socks.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #61
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I thought I only wanted the Raccoon,

but the tree looks good as well:

Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #62
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Early Buzz: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Is Out of This World

Posted on Saturday, July 19th, 2014 by Angie Han

There may come a day when mighty Marvel starts to fall, but it seems we’re not there yet. The first wave of reactions to Guardians of the Galaxy have just hit the web, and they’re nothing short of stunning. Critics are positively fawning over Guardians‘ action, humor, heart, and cinematography; some have even declared it Marvel’s finest film yet. Any fears that audiences won’t be able to connect to a superhero team that includes a gun-toting raccoon and a talking tree can officially be put to rest. Hit the jump to see the early Guardians of the Galaxy reviews and learn what people are saying.

Naturally, the usual caveats apply. These are brief, instant reactions, not thoughtfully considered reviews. But the overwhelming positivity speaks for itself. Even if these people are exaggerating somewhat, Guardians promises to be, at the very least, another solid entry in the Marvel canon.

Read the tweets:

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guard...alaxy-reviews/
Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #63
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith

Could've sworn you were underwhelmed by Avengers precisely because of its irreverent, humorous tone. Does a talking raccoon just automatically make the silliness okay? Honest question...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #64
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Could've sworn you were underwhelmed by Avengers precisely because of its irreverent, humorous tone. Does a talking raccoon just automatically make the silliness okay? Honest question...

The attempt at humour in Avengers was weak, unless it was coming from Tony Stark. And the attempt at being earnest fell flat on its face.

Avengers was just a dull film overall. CGI was often poor, especially with the Hulk.

From all the clips and trailers I've seen of GotG it doesn't hold back. It looks much more fun, and, more importantly, engaging. CGI is much better. The talking raccoon is much more realistic in appearance than the Hulk in Avengers, who often looked like a cartoon walking among real people.

And back on topic with the two most interesting characters:

Groot's first appearance in 1960:

Last edited by Montana Smith : 07-21-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #65
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #66
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Comic-Con 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 confirmed

Neela Debnath Sunday 27 July 2014

The first film hasn't even hit cinemas yet, but Marvel has announced that it will be making a sequel to superhero movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

The news was announced today at San Diego Comic-Con after a presentation by Marvel Studios.

The head of the Hollywood studio, Kevin Feige, played a video featuring director James Gunn and star Chris Pratt, who broke the news to the audience.

The second film will be written and directed by Gunn, with a release date set for 28 July 2017.

Guardians of the Galaxy is based on the Marvel comic book superhero team of the same name.

The film follows a rag-tag team of galactic miscreants who join forces to protect the galaxy from evil. Pratt plays Peter Quill, also known as Star-Lord, an outlaw from Earth who assembles the group.

While the premise is reasonably generic, run-of-the-mill superhero fare, the execution has proved to be a draw, particularly the wry humour.

The first trailer premiered on Jimmy Kimmel Live back in February and has attracted over 16 million views on YouTube since then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...d-9631726.html
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #67
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

If this movie is a success, it proves people will literally see anything as long as a Marvel logo is attached to it.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #68
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
If this movie is a success, it proves people will literally see anything as long as a Marvel logo is attached to it.
You know... I don't think I've sat through a full Marvel movie since Spider-Man in 2002. Comic book superheroes have never quite been my thing.

But this one's actually caught my interest. Maybe it's the sci-fi angle or something, but it actually looks different to the stuff normally bearing the "Marvel" stamp.

I'll naturally reserve the final judgment 'til I catch it, as any piece of turd can be made to look interesting in the promotional materials, but I've a feeling folks may actually flock to this regardless of the Marvel logo.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #69
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
You know... I don't think I've sat through a full Marvel movie since Spider-Man in 2002. Comic book superheroes have never quite been my thing.

But this one's actually caught my interest. Maybe it's the sci-fi angle or something, but it actually looks different to the stuff normally bearing the "Marvel" stamp.

There is something more appealing about this one.

Maybe it's just nice to take a break from the big hitting Marvel characters and see the second string in action.

Then, of course, there's that science fiction angle.

Quote:
I'll naturally reserve the final judgment 'til I catch it, as any piece of turd can be made to look interesting in the promotional materials, but I've a feeling folks may actually flock to this regardless of the Marvel logo.

I'll reserve judgment until I find it cheap on disc. Nothing's good enough that it tempts me into a cinema to pay and see it once at a specified time!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #70
Finn

Quote:
There is something more appealing about this one.

Maybe it's just nice to take a break from the big hitting Marvel characters and see the second string in action.

Then, of course, there's that science fiction angle.
No doubt there will be people who go see it thanks to the Marvel stamp, but I can also see it having appeal among folks who're not so much into comics but did enjoy shows like Firefly and Farscape. That must be where my interest is coming from.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #71
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
...but I can also see it having appeal among folks who're not so much into comics but did enjoy shows like Firefly and Farscape. That must be where my interest is coming from.

I get that impression too, from bits of the trailers. A small group of people, not necessarily friends to begin with, being thrown together aboard a spaceship. There is a bit of Firefly (and Star Wars) in that.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #72
jsarino
IndyFan

The Firefly/Star Wars fan in me is drawing me to see this one. That, and my son keeps nagging me about wanting to see this when it comes out.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #73
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength
I'd also wager $10 that there will be a "rabies" joke directed at Rocket at some point in this film

Or fleas?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #74
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Just saw this!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #75
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Or fleas?

Yeah, you're right..."fleas" is easily 2:1 odds. Just too easy for them to resist.
"Rabies" is a runner-up and "Ear Mites" is a dark horse.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote