TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
featofstrength
IndyFan

"Enough Peter Parker: the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't need another white Spider-Man"
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/80...s-peter-parker
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #27
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Pretty much sums up the entire deal in a nutshell.

Nope. No money changed hands

Last edited by Pale Horse : 02-11-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:55 AM   #28
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Luke Cage will hit the small screen well before either strides into theatres.

Power Man was an interesting addition to the first season of Jessica Jones, but his inclusion felt disjointed and his powers were... poorly realized on screen. Sure, there's really only so much you can do with super strength and invulnerable skin, but the writers & producers could have used them in more interesting ways, ways that were integral to Ms. Jones' investigation.

That said, I am looking forward to his solo outing this September! The action has moved up to Harlem from Hell's Kitchen this time and things are looking interesting. The showrunners seem to have a better grasp of Cage's power set this time around.

The buzz around town is that every episode borrows its title from a Gangstarr album and/or song.

Dig the sizzle!

Of the five shows originally announced (four technically, since The Defenders is a team-up) Iron Fist seemed at odds with Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Danny Rand gets his powers from a dragon(!) that lives in a country only accessible from Earth via magic quantum physics. Doesn't exactly fit in with the street level heroics of the other three (and Frank).

It'll be quite interesting to see how he fits into the MCU. Visually it's already there, but tone and action will be quite the deciding factor. For now though, dig the first look!

Before you come in bellowing about superhero fatigue, please note that it's a myth. You might be "tired" of superhero flicks, but the general audience can't get enough of 'em.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
Attila the Professor

So the Marvel television universe actually has made a pretty interesting home for itself on Netflix, using 13-episode seasons to dig into a superhero's world, pushing out against its implications of the character's concept in greater depth than a film can. Luke Cage deftly and powerfully uses its lead hero and the iconic neighborhood of Harlem to dig into black culture and contemporary issues; what I've seen of Daredevil is stylish, guilt-suffused, but draggier; Jessica Jones is reportedly very good and Iron Fist, well, we'll see.

They're all too long, sometimes struggling to fill 60 minutes, which relegates them to background viewing for me, but I'm intrigued by what they're doing just the same. (The four heroes will be brought together in joint miniseries, The Defenders, not unlike their counterparts on the big screen.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:48 AM   #30
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Luke Cage deftly and powerfully uses its lead hero and the iconic neighborhood of Harlem to dig into black culture and contemporary issues...

I'm six episodes in and so far the connective tissue between Luke Cage's various parts is... baggy at best. For lack of a better phrase, its indulgences in black fantasy go on too long.

Quote:
what I've seen of Daredevil is stylish, guilt-suffused, but draggier;

We would like to see your expanded comments over here because nothing on teevee or in the cinema has been able to match Dareveil's creative output. Or its ability to tonally ground the proceedings.

Quote:
Jessica Jones is reportedly very good and Iron Fist, well, we'll see.

It's going to be a while before I get to the Living Weapon that is Iron Fist, but I did like Jessica Jones. At least the character of Ms. Jones.

This is the best thing to come out of Luke Cage so far.

I haven't watched it yet, but the trailer for The Defenders has also gone live. It hits the streaming service 08182017.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #31
curmudgeon
IndyFan

First teaser for Black Panther:

curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #32
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
First teaser for Black Panther...

IM FINNA NUT CUZ DAS HYPE AF YO.

There, I fixed that for you. If you're going to continue to post trailers then you should probably offer some sort of commentary about said trailer.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #33
TheFedora
IndyFan

Hmm I think I like the Black Panther trailer. It does sort go give us a bit more expansion into Wakanda, opens up the Marvel world in a new and interesting way. I am probably going to see it.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #34
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
First teaser for Black Panther:

The music is fantastic. Perfect attitude for the film.

Some of the sets and costumes however are a little cheesy. The Throne room especially -- though I'm intrigued by the glass floor. The floor reminds me of the Acropolis Museum. And the earthen center seem as if the building was built on top/around a hilltop -- which makes me think Areopagus.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote