Indy on IMAX

russds

Has anybody seen commercials on TV, or advertising in general? I'm really hoping the IMAX showing goes mainstream, and there's a large turn out for it. I haven't seen anything in the TV media as far as commercials or advertising, and hope it doesn't get over looked, next week is coming fast.

Crack that whip

russds said:
Has anybody seen commercials on TV, or advertising in general? I'm really hoping the IMAX showing goes mainstream, and there's a large turn out for it. I haven't seen anything in the TV media as far as commercials or advertising, and hope it doesn't get over looked, next week is coming fast.

Well, there is that IMAX trailer. I haven't seen it on television or in a theater, but I also haven't been to a theater since the announcement and I don't watch a lot of "current" TV (the shows I'm watching lately are seasons of older shows, streamed over Netflix and such). However, I have seen the trailer posted or linked at numerous movie sites with articles on the screenings - enough of them to make me think it's getting pretty well-publicized. Just Googling "Raiders in IMAX" or some such thing turns up plenty of links, and plenty of those that turn up have not just a blurb or a full-blown article about it, but also have the trailer on the page. I can't help but think plenty of people do know about it, so I'm hopeful there'll be a good turnout.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58095
harryofdoom2.gif

I see a lot of folks tweeting and emailing for free tickets.. should be some interesting pics of Indyfans in theaters like the first public screening in Austin tonight!

russds

Moedred said:
I see a lot of folks tweeting and emailing for free tickets.. should be some interesting pics of Indyfans in theaters like the first public screening in Austin tonight!

Nice! Can't wait!

Dr.Jonesy

If 'Raiders' makes a killing on IMAX, I wonder if they'll re-release the remaining three on IMAX, as well.

Dr. Gonzo

This Thursday, September 6th -
at the Regal Gateway Stadium 16 & IMAX (9700 Stonelake Blvd, Austin) at 7:30pm -
I'm hosting the first public screening of Steven Spielberg's classic
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK -
from the new beautiful transfer that was created
for the Blu Ray coming soon!

Technically this is inaccurate as the first public screening for the restored transfer was in Hollywood some time ago.

HenryJunior

The whole marathon will be played in just the standard theaters, and hopefully from the new HD digital pulls they did for the Blu-Ray.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Goonie

Well this sucks. Cineplex had it advertised that it would be playing at their Chinook IMAX here in Calgary. Looks like it switched to the Empire Theater out in Country Hills.

Also sucks that when I go to try an buy tickets online for Empire, the movie isn't showing up. May have to run there after work and snag a ticket for the 7:00 show tomorrow.

Crack that whip

Dr.Sartorius said:
So for the AMC marathon its Raiders in IMAX and then the next 3 movies in normal format?

Oh, no, that shouldn't be the case at all - the marathon should have all four movies shown "in normal format." For them to show one movie in IMAX and the others not would mean changing auditoriums between movies, since IMAX is about the screen size (as well as the projection resolution). They're not going to have a marathon where people come and watch one movie on one screen at 10 am and then switch auditoriums to watch the other three movies on a different, smaller screen. They're going to set aside one auditorium and one screen that day for the marathon.

Besides, look at the prices for the marathon ($25, everywhere) and the IMAX screening of just the one movie; it varies depending on location and time, but at my local theater the range goes from $9.50 to $14.50. In other words, the price of the single movie in IMAX ranges from 38% to 58% of what it costs for the marathon of all four, and that's without the bonuses of the lanyard and poster (and $5 bonus bucks if you have an AMC Stubs card). If the marathon included even one movie in IMAX, it should be a fair bit more expensive.

Dr.Sartorius

Well I'll be skipping the marathon. I saw a trilogy marathon in LA for just $10 last year anyway. $25 is a little steep.

Crack that whip

Steep? You think so? It's just $6.25 per movie, and you get a free poster and lanyard (and $5 credit for a Stubs card).

Now, the $14.50 I just paid to see Raiders of the Lost Ark by itself in a couple hours, that's steep (but obviously I've gone ahead and done it anyway :p )...

kongisking

Twenty minutes to go until my showing...gah, I wish Mola Ram were around to remove my heart, it's beating so fast from excitement it hurts! ;)

bonoferox

Went to a 1:15 showing this afternoon. Only about 20 people in the theater, but I guess that was expected. Aside from a lot of grain to the picture (which I didn't mind), it looked absolutely fantastic.

Just a great feeling to see it in a theater.

Just returned from an 8:00PM show which was half full, about 150 people.

The Good: 98% of the film was OUTSTANDING visually, the audio was amazing and I noticed a few things I had never noticed before on both counts. It was a great experience. The close ups were remarkably crisp and clear. Hats off.

The Bad: Sapito's image shuddered, or shimmered for a few moments before and after the spider web, and untill I see it again I believe it was the projector, (more about that later). There was some grain but it wasn't distracting. What I did notice was more warm and fuzzy nostalgia...it truly was minute.

The UGLY: WOW! The stock footage Washington Street Scene did NOT hold up well! It was a tire screeching in the midst of a mime class! If it were on a true IMAX screen...oof! Shuddering Sapito makes this category as well...but that's about it.

Hope to catch it again...