Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #26
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Any of you guys ever try wasabi? Even the tiniest morsel is DEADLY.

It is deadly, but a tiny touch of it on some sushi is great.

Friend of a friend was eating sushi with a newbie, who asked what it was. "Guacamole" was the answer, so he ate it as one large spoonful. You can imagine the reaction.

(Guacamole at a sushi restaurant?)
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
It is deadly, but a tiny touch of it on some sushi is great.

Friend of a friend was eating sushi with a newbie, who asked what it was. "Guacamole" was the answer, so he ate it as one large spoonful. You can imagine the reaction.

(Guacamole at a sushi restaurant?)

I use it at my favorite sushi place as well. I let the wife try some, and I watched her gag sputter as I laughed!
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #28
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
And, yes. I have tried wasabi. I have a few bottles of this kind.

I've seen that stuff a number of times, but never actually given it a shot. With your endorsement, maybe I'll have to. I like wasabi, but pungency has a whole different thing going on than spiciness as an experience; I never feel the impulse outside of sushi.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, hold the presses! Attila, is that hot sauce you posted made from the ghost chili!? Wow! How does it taste? Does it have any taste through all the heat?

Yeah, it is ghost pepper-based, so it's definitely a just a dab will do you kind of thing: a hot sauce to be dripped, rather than poured. But it's got other ingredients, so while it's very spicy, it's also very flavorful (the ingredients list also includes papaya, passion fruit, lime, carrots, and garlic).

Melinda's is very good at offering flavorful yet spicy sauces. They've got a great jalapeño ketchup.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #29
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I've seen that stuff a number of times, but never actually given it a shot. With your endorsement, maybe I'll have to. I like wasabi, but pungency has a whole different thing going on than spiciness as an experience; I never feel the impulse outside of sushi.

I'd recommend that you buy a bottle, and try just a little. I use it on my toasted roast beef sandwiches, and my Reubens (along with the Thousand island dressing). Just a small dollop, and you're good to go.

Quote:
Yeah, it is ghost pepper-based, so it's definitely a just a dab will do you kind of thing: a hot sauce to be dripped, rather than poured. But it's got other ingredients, so while it's very spicy, it's also very flavorful (the ingredients list also includes papaya, passion fruit, lime, carrots, and garlic).

Melinda's is very good at offering flavorful yet spicy sauces. They've got a great jalapeño ketchup.

That's what type of sauce I enjoy. I dislike sauces that use pure heat and nothing else to balance it and give it a good taste and flavor.
I was on Melinda's website today, and I like how each of their sauces seem to have other flavors with the heat. I am thinking of ordering about six different types from there, as well as their ketchup.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
Indy's brother
IndyFan

I put this on practically everything.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #31
The Drifter
IndyFan

I've read a lot about Dave's Insanity Sauce. Does it have good taste along with the heat? How hot is it?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #32
Indy's brother
IndyFan

One or two drops for a decent size bowl of chili is plenty. There's some heat, it's a flavor is kind of minimal. Oh hell, drop 5 bucks or whatever and check it out. I bought it at Highlander, which has all the same stock as your local Kroger.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #33
Pale Horse

Quote:
I've read a lot about Dave's Insanity Sauce. Does it have good taste along with the heat? How hot is it?

Hot. Very hot. I have to fascinating stories of my experience with it. Make that three.

1) a bet with a Marine
2) my ball sack
3) thanatosis

Pick two...there won't be a poll.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Templar
I tried some '100% Pain' hot sauce by dipping a tortilla chip in it. You know you are in trouble when you get that second of numbness before the heat hits. Took about 15 mins to subside.
Quote:
And, yes. I have tried wasabi. I have a few bottles of this kind.
I'm a fan of horseradish, and when I first used this, I put a huge glop on my sandwich and spread it around, took a bite, and WOW!
I lost my breath for a few seconds and my nostrils stung like they were on fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodenight
Funny stories!

@KT Templar: "100% Pain"? That sounds vicious!
@The Drifter: Ha ha, Sucker. Great description!
@goodeknight: That is both cruel & hilarious at the same time.
Quote:
You wrote that Dave's Insanity was one that you used "on a regular basis".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
@The Drifter: Ha ha, Sucker. Great description!
Thanks! It's about how it felt. I learned a hard lesson that day, and that's to only use a small bit of wasabi!

Quote:

You wrote that Dave's Insanity was one that you used "on a regular basis".

Now, I feel like a big dumbass. I didn't even notice that I typed that, until now.
No, I don't have Dave's, and I meant to say that I have Emeril's. No idea where Dave's Insanity came from!

Last edited by The Drifter : 12-08-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Here in Korea, I find the spices tend to range between quite flavourful and barely digestible--kinds that make you sweat outside, and kinds that make your stomach turn inside. Chili pepper is the mainstay, whether pastes or sauces, you name it, they got it. (Never thought that a donut would contain anything spicy, but lo and behold, the sweet pastry envelopes a sizzling baby chili pepper inside...chili surprise.)

Anyway, I've been using a really spicy hot chili pepper sauce for stir-fried veg. (called "hot" in Korean), and it packs a kick--so much that I use just a few drops for a full portion.
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #37
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
Here in Korea, I find the spices tend to range between quite flavourful and barely digestible--kinds that make you sweat outside, and kinds that make your stomach turn inside. Chili pepper is the mainstay, whether pastes or sauces, you name it, they got it. (Never thought that a donut would contain anything spicy, but lo and behold, the sweet pastry envelopes a sizzling baby chili pepper inside...chili surprise.)

I would love to sample some of the food there. And, the donut with the awaiting chili inside sounds like something that I would enjoy. I worked for a guy who went to Avery Island in Louisiana (Where the main plant and pepper fields for Tabasco or located). He came back with a tin of chocolate candies made from the tabasco pepper. They were surprisingly good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
Anyway, I've been using a really spicy hot chili pepper sauce for stir-fried veg. (called "hot" in Korean), and it packs a kick--so much that I use just a few drops for a full portion.

Do you know if one can find it online? I use Sriracha sauce, and a garlic chili sauce that originated from Thailand/Vietnam. It has a good heat, and very tasty.
The man who started the company that makes this migrated to America in the 1980s. Here is a picture of both.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #38
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:

I've used these in restaraunts before, which reminded me: the hands-down best mexican hot sauce to be had can only be found in a chicagoland chain known as El Famous Burrito Red or green, you can guess which is hot and which is mild. Too bad you can't buy the stuff. Pretty sure they make it on site. Anyone with experience care to back me on this?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
Attila the Professor

Sriracha is great stuff. It's thickness makes it fantastic for sandwiches, what with the spreadability. I don't think there's a better template for a breakfast sandwich out there than one working off of egg, some crisp vegetables (spinach, cucumbers, and tomato), and some sriracha.

Slightly off-topic, but since the donuts have come into this: has anyone here ever had any of these?

Yeah, chocolate covered jalapeños. I'm not a fan. The chocolate is part of it, but I've also found that I'm not wild about fresh, uncooked jalapeños.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
I've used these in restaraunts before, which reminded me: the hands-down best mexican hot sauce to be had can only be found in a chicagoland chain known as El Famous Burrito Red or green, you can guess which is hot and which is mild. Too bad you can't buy the stuff. Pretty sure they make it on site. Anyone with experience care to back me on this?

That sounds wonderful that they make it on site. Our local Mexican joints mostly either use Valentina or El Yucatece. I do enjoy both sauces, but I am willing to bet that a hot sauce made on location would be tons better.

Quote:
Sriracha is great stuff. It's thickness makes it fantastic for sandwiches, what with the spreadability. I don't think there's a better template for a breakfast sandwich out there than one working off of egg, some crisp vegetables (spinach, cucumbers, and tomato), and some sriracha.

You are right on the money! I love this stuff on eggs. I use it on an egg sandwich a lot (minus the vegetables, save tomato), and I also just put it on a plain fried egg and also top it with course black pepper.
Try mixing it in with pasta sauce while in the simmering stages. That's great also.

Quote:
Yeah, chocolate covered jalapeños. I'm not a fan. The chocolate is part of it, but I've also found that I'm not wild about fresh, uncooked jalapeños.

Never tried those, but I would. I raise cayenne and jalapeño peppers every year, and catch myself picking and eating them right from the vine. But, my favorite way to eat jalapeños is either pickled or stuffed.

Last edited by The Drifter : 12-08-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Fixing typos
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #41
The Drifter
IndyFan

I went to edit my post, but it was too late.
I just wanted to add that Sriracha is also good on breakfast burritos along with a spread of picante sauce.
Hmmmm, I may update my Recipe thread with how I make these.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
The Drifter
IndyFan

I have been dabbling in habanaro sauces with a carrot base. I have a few of these sauces, and they go so good in soups and stews.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #43
The Drifter
IndyFan

I went awhile without picking any new sauces up, just the regular ones that I enjoy using. Went to a mall in a town about 40 minutes away. Never been to this mall, and was overjoyed to see that they had a shop there that sold nothing but hot sauce and BBQ sauce (along with a few other odds-and-ends).
It was like my own little slice of Heaven in there. I picked up a few bottles of stuff that I hadn't tried before.

The first is Melinda's Fire Roasted Habanero Pepper Sauce. Haven't opened this one up yet. But, I have tried a few of Melinda's sauces (thanks to our favorite professor), and enjoy them a lot.

Second in line is Iguana Mean Green Hot n' Tasty Jalapeno Pepper Sauce. I tried some of this in a bowl of my beef stew. It has such a great tangy flavor from the jalapenos, and it's good and thick with the pulp of the peppers much like Melinda's brand of sauces.

I plan on hitting that shop pretty regular from here on out. They're a family owned place, so I'd rather get my stuff from them than to order it online.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #44
The Drifter
IndyFan

Looks pretty damn good if I must say so - a few of the newer additions:
Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
It was like my own little slice of Heaven in there.
Ha! I see Cholula on your rack. My girlfriend just bought the chipotle flavoured one 4 days ago. She also bought a bottle of Louisiana Gold Tabasco Pepper Sauce (and I thought about The Drifter when she put both of them in the grocery basket).

Anyway, I'm happy for you that you've now found this new store.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Ha! I see Cholula on your rack. My girlfriend just bought the chipotle flavoured one 4 days ago. She also bought a bottle of Louisiana Gold Tabasco Pepper Sauce (and I thought about The Drifter when she put both of them in the grocery basket).

Anyway, I'm happy for you that you've now found this new store.

Oh, yes - Cholula is a mainstay. I've never tried the chipotle flavored Cholula (at least to my knowledge), does your girlfriend seem to like it? What are some of her favorite brands? I may pick some of them up as she seems to have good taste.
And, the ol' Drifter was drifting around in Stoo's thoughts at the grocery store? Speaking of that, there used to be a TV commercial that came on around here a few months back. It had the generic jingle with it, but one line went "And Spaceman Stu knows me and you.". Everytime I heard it I thought of old Stoo at the Raven! Hah!

I'm glad that I found the store also. I'm think about making a trip there tomorrow. If I do, I'll post my goodies when I get back.

Last edited by The Drifter : 11-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #47
The Drifter
IndyFan

My apologizes for the double-posts. I use this thread as a 'saucy diary' of sorts, excuse the pun. If any of you mods out there in my computer screen have a problem with that, just tell me, and I'll stop.
Well, I picked up a few more sauces at my local store (Shameless plug for All Fired Up in The Bristol Mall in Bristol, Virginia!) and welp, this is what I got:

First up is Ass Kickin' Cajun Hot Sauce: Kick Yo' Ass Hot!. It says that it has a mix of habanero and jalapeno peppers.

The second kind I got is Hog's Breath World Famous Hot Sauce: Hog's Breath is better than no breath at all. This sauce was made from a pretty popular saloon down in Florida. It has worcestershire in it. I love worcestershire.

And the third and last kind caught my eye before I walked out the door. It's called African Rhino Peri-Peri Sauce. It's got a beautiful orange color with bits of pepper floating around. Also, it's made with an African pepper called the peri-peri. Never heard of that before.

That's my haul for today. I can't wait to try these out!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Mickiana
IndyFan

I love the names and sights and whiffs of spicy hotness in this thread. I tried Tabasco Habanero sauce on my scrambled eggs yesterday morning for breakfast. It was as good as a coffee in waking me up!
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #49
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I love the names and sights and whiffs of spicy hotness in this thread. I tried Tabasco Habanero sauce on my scrambled eggs yesterday morning for breakfast. It was as good as a coffee in waking me up!

Hot sauce and eggs go together like Peanut butter and jelly. And Tabasco should be in everyone's cupboard. I used some tonight at Chili's. Yummmm!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #50
Attila the Professor

My only problem with the double posts, Drifter, is that it makes me feel guilty about not posting here more often.

I've been pretty low-key on the sauces lately, honestly. A hot sauce store opened near me a few months back, but I've only gone once, and ended up picking up, on the proprietor's recommendation, a bottle of Chicaoji, with "Apple Cider Vinegar, Water, Goji Berries, Chipotles, Agave nectar, Celtic Sea Salt, [and] Cacao nibs." Good stuff, but I think it's flavor was arguably too specific to be all that versatile, something I've thought before about other, especially sweeter, hot sauces. This was in particular was sweet, spicy, and a bit tart, owing to the vinegar and Cacao, I suppose.

(I also picked up a couple of mango habanero lollipops, which were pleasingly mild.) I guess I had a bottle of Yucatan Sunshine knocking around in the past year, an old favorite of both of ours, Drifter, it seems.

I have a bottle of Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce (for whipping up a Buffalo sauce), Tabasco, and Chipotle Tabasco in the cupboard right now. Oh, and Sriracha, which maybe we should start hoarding?

I'm aware of Peri-Peri's existence, but I don't think I've ever had it. Maybe that's worth picking up next time I mosey on down to that store.