TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 29 54.72%
Todd's Costumes 10 18.87%
Steele and Jones 3 5.66%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #376
Major West
IndyFan

You'd be better off emailing Wested directly to ask them what the Shrunken Lamb they have in is like at the moment.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #377
Drones33
IndyFan

I agree with Major West on this; the shrunken lamb can vary significantly so its a good idea to contact Wested directly, tell them what you`re looking for. They`re usually really helpful, and may even send you a photo of their current batch.
That said, if I were to go for a Hero I`d seriously consider Wested`s new Goatskin. While its a little too dark to be completely SA, I`d say its closer than the chestnut/ginger colour that the shrunken lamb can be, and in terms of weight, texture and drape its very similar to shrunken lamb. If you go to the previous page of this thread Ive posted a couple of pics of my OTR Raiders in goat. See what you think.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #378
Glenville86
IndyFan

Wested Pre-Distressed Heavy Lamb

Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #379
Glenville86
IndyFan

Comparison with Wested thin dark lamb:

Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #380
Glenville86
IndyFan

All I did to the jacket was put it in the shower for a couple of minutes using warm water. It dried darker than the original color in most place. Of course, the sleeve wrinkles was from wearing it damp.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #381
Major West
IndyFan

It dried darker? I might soak mine again then. I quite like it. Wested don't seem to be doing heavy duty predistressed lamb any more.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #382
Glenville86
IndyFan

I had ordered the SL which they had offered in my size. They came back that it was only for smaller jackets and changed the web listing. I asked about 4 leathers other than the SL and one was the pre-distressed heavy lamb which they had in stock.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #383
Drones33
IndyFan

It really is most impressive. I wonder how this compares to the Copper Novapelle Lambskin that Wested now offer.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #384
Major West
IndyFan

I'd be curious to know as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #385
dakota
IndyFan

Here's a few more photos of my custom Raiders in dark novapelle hide

dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #386
Major West
IndyFan

Nice. How long have you had it? The pocket flap design looks like the previous generation westeds.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #387
Glenville86
IndyFan

Final pics of the Wested HD Lamb after a coat of Pecards:

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #388
dakota
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Nice. How long have you had it? The pocket flap design looks like the previous generation westeds.

I had the jacket since 2006 /2007 and at the time I think I asked for the Platon pockets style when choosing the custom options (all the rage on COW back then) still wish I'd gone for the nickel zipper instead of the brass one though.
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #389
Drones33
IndyFan

Custom LC, Dark Brown Novapelle.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #390
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota
I had the jacket since 2006 /2007 and at the time I think I asked for the Platon pockets style when choosing the custom options (all the rage on COW back then) still wish I'd gone for the nickel zipper instead of the brass one though.

That's interesting. I didn't buy my first jacket until 2015, so what's available now is all I'm familiar with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Custom LC, Dark Brown Novapelle.

Looks really good. I'm sold on the current Dark Brown Novapelle.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #391
Drones33
IndyFan

Yeah its really nice, heavy and soft with a matt texture. Very good for the LC.

I must say, having seen some of yours and Glenvilles recent photos of the heavy pre-distressed lamb I rather regret not getting one while it was still available. Looks pretty amazing after a soak and some Pecards.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:56 AM   #392
Major West
IndyFan

It will probably come back into stock. I think it's a popular enough leather.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #393
Spudomatic
IndyFan

Hello all, I'm a first time poster here but a long time lurker. I thought I'd share these pics of my pre-distressed hide Raiders from Wested. I'm not happy with the color... very, very light for my taste. I was really hoping for one like Drones33's from back in October. The photos of mine don't even show how truly light it is. It'd say it's pretty much tan. Lighter in color even than my Indy pants from Wested! I was hoping this would be multiple shades darker. So, now begins the task of deciding what to get in exchange... and sadly paying exorbitant shipping fees back to the UK from the US.

Spudomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #394
Glenville86
IndyFan

I gave my Wested distressed cow jacket a couple coatings of Pecards and it darkened it up enough to take away most of the tan color. Did the same to a import US Wings steer-hide Legend jacket.

I have a few Indy jackets and the lighter color on a couple of my jackets adds variety. Also have a black Indy Wested to wear with my black boots. Some of my brown Indy jackets range from reddish brown, light brown, medium brown, grey brown and dark brown.

If I was only going to have a couple, would want one dark brown and one black.

My Alden Indy boots also come in various shades of brown along with a dark blue and black.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #395
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

How many jackets do you have????
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #396
Drones33
IndyFan

[quote=Spudomatic]Hello all, I'm a first time poster here but a long time lurker. I thought I'd share these pics of my pre-distressed hide Raiders from Wested. I'm not happy with the color... very, very light for my taste. I was really hoping for one like Drones33's from back in October. The photos of mine don't even show how truly light it is. It'd say it's pretty much tan. Lighter in color even than my Indy pants from Wested! I was hoping this would be multiple shades darker. So, now begins the task of deciding what to get in exchange... and sadly paying exorbitant shipping fees back to the UK from the US.

Don`t give up on this jacket is my advice. As Glenville says, Pecards is the way to go. The jacket of mine you refer to looked very much like yours on the day it arrived, including the colour. I gave mine quite a thorough soak in the shower, then wore it until it dried. This made it conform to my shape and darkened it down quite a bit. Then next day gave it a very heavy coat of Pecards. Dramatically altered the colour, darkening it right down to the way it looks in the pics I posted last october.
Well worth giving it a try

Great hat, by the way.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #397
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudomatic
Hello all, I'm a first time poster here but a long time lurker. I thought I'd share these pics of my pre-distressed hide Raiders from Wested. I'm not happy with the color... very, very light for my taste. I was really hoping for one like Drones33's from back in October. The photos of mine don't even show how truly light it is. It'd say it's pretty much tan. Lighter in color even than my Indy pants from Wested! I was hoping this would be multiple shades darker. So, now begins the task of deciding what to get in exchange... and sadly paying exorbitant shipping fees back to the UK from the US.

I have to admit I like the look of that. Yes, it is light though. As mentioned, a coat or two of pecard would make that go darker. If you want a darker Raiders jacket I would exchange it for the lambskin version. You'll have to add a bit of distressing to that yourself though. The thing to consider is that apart from the lambskin and goatskin, the other leathers vary by batch quite a bit.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #398
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
How many jackets do you have????

Around 16-17 Indy ones. Wested, G&B, S&J, Kelso, US Wings.

Don't get me started on Alden Indy boots or the fedora collection....
Old 06-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #399
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
Around 16-17 Indy ones. Wested, G&B, S&J, Kelso, US Wings.

Don't get me started on Alden Indy boots or the fedora collection....

You have a jacket collection on its own.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #400
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
You have a jacket collection on its own.

I retired from the US Army in 2006 after 26 years and took a US civilian job in Germany. Was there for 10-years and they paid my rent and utilities. Had the cash to invest and buy pretty much what I wanted. Life was good. Now, I have been transferred to the Washington DC area and my paycheck covers the house rent and utilities with just a little left over. I knew this would happen while in Germany and stocked up. If I did not have the retirement income, it would be pretty hard now......