the greatest mysteries

00Kevin

Indyfan
okay, this forum needs a pick me up.

okay, in this thread, we will discuss the greatest mysteries of tnhe world, examples are "stonehenge" and, uh, I feel like zee Idiot, that one thing of the faces facing the sea

okay, shoot

bob

I dont think that there is much mystery in Stone Henge really....what are the mysteries we are supposed to be talking about?

00Kevin

Indyfan
like structures that are soemwhere, but we have no Idea how or why. We don't know who built them, and such

bob

I would say on this that it is very tempting on these issues to start talking about Atlanteans who built them or a lost Civilization, generally it was the people who lived there rather than any mysterious locals of which there is no positive evidence for only unexplained mysteries.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Broom, now that is a mystery. Too bad the website hasn't been updated in over three years. Would be interesting to know if they have proceeded further with the operation there.

monkey

I'll add one: The pre-Inca cyclopean stone works throughout the Andes region of South America, especially the stone fortress of Sacsayhuaman, and the City of Tiahuanaco.

Broom, I am fascinated by the mention of a subterranean complex on Nova Scotia. I have never heard of that. Tell me more, it sounds very interesting.

Ditto 00Kevin about the underwater pyramid. I've never heard of that either. I'd like to know more about that one too.

monkey said:
...Broom, I am fascinated by the mention of a subterranean complex on Nova Scotia. I have never heard of that. Tell me more, it sounds very interesting...

I can't tell you any more than the links, really. Here's still another one: Oak Island Money Pit

I first learned about when I was preoccupied with pirate treasure. It caught my eye since my ancestors lived in that very part of Nova Scotia for eight generations. Mahonne Bay.

It is a complete mystery. No one can tell who constructed it, what it was for, or why. Most archaeological mysteries at least you have a clue as who did it and maybe why. This is a booby-trapped shaft that appears to be very old and very sophistocated. It has oaken timbers, coconut husks (in Canada!), steel and concrete as part of its building materials.

Aaron observes the first website hasn't been updated since 1995. Nothing has happened since (that anyone knows about other than Woods Hole Oceanographic did some research there). The Triton Consortium seems to be deadlocked somehow. It is either being mishandled or supremely well handled.

I'm a fan of Ockham's Razor and I think there must be a simpler answer to all this and people are over speculating. Trouble is, no one can even think of an easy answer. The powder magazine one is about the only alternative I've heard and it doesn't really hold much weight. Must be the same people that make those crop circles.

The flooding and counterflooding would make for a great Indiana Jones booby-trapped entrance sequence, but I guess the Mummy Returns beat him to it.

[Edited by Broomhandle Davis on 08-31-2002 at 08:50 pm]

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
In one of the books, Indy encounters a flood trap. (In China I think) It was a really great sequence.

The "road" that is in the Caribbean Sea, has always made me wonder.
Not to mention the Bat Cove, TN site that had all sorts of Jewish and Roman artifacts. (lost in a late summer flood in the mid-1800's)
Then there are the Egyptian mines in Australia.
And the lost civilization of the often referred to "Sea People" (the Sumerian?s talk about that race a lot in their writings)

Hmmm, I like this thread. Each of all these topics mention deserves their own thread, so we can further delve into the unknown. What?ll be even better is when we get the Archaeology section of TR.N up. Now that?ll bring a ton of topics here.:)

The "road" of Atlantis

Aaron H said:
In one of the books, Indy encounters a flood trap. (In China I think) It was a really great sequence.

The "road" that is in the Caribbean Sea, has always made me wonder...

I was part of an expedition to examine that "road" which is off Bimini. The expedition leader was a snake oil salesman who had written shows for "In Search Of..." and never went in the water. He brought along a psychic, not a bad looker, and they shared the same cabin. She keep saying she sensed a connection with the "Pleides" which he gladly wrote up.

He wasn't feeding us enough, just cocktail sandwiches. (Dive 8 hrs a day and you'll know what I mean.) We knew he was on a grant (from a little old lady not an institution) and I did the math and we figured he was pocketing half of the grant. The divers groused. Finally one day the divers instead of examining the "road" went lobster fishing and brought back about 30 lobster all at once. He went pale. Lobster were out of season and Bimini game warden could seize the boat. The boat was chartered and not his.

That same day he went ashore in Bimini (expensive) and bought more food.

Our impression of the "road" was it was a natural phenomenon that simply looked like a Roman road build by giants.

Nice water down there. We had to be armed. Pirates. Arrrrh.

[Edited by Broomhandle Davis on 09-01-2002 at 05:36 am]

BananaJones

I dunno if it's strange, but I remember a recent National Geographic documentary where they did an underwater exvacation, which revealed a city which could be Atlantis. It was off the coast of Mexico. I may be wrong about this, but I thought I mention this so someone could explain it or could agree.

The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar

There's a book that should be good for a giggle or two on Oak Island.

Lost Treasure of Knights Templar

It suggests that Oak Island is where the Treasure of the Knights Templar is stashed. Like the Maltese Falcon, but more so....

When the Order of Knights Templar was destroyed in 1307, the secret society supposedly had vast wealth that was rumored to include the genealogies of David and Jesus and other religious artifacts as well as your run-of-the-mill gold and jewels. Over 200 years ago, the site of an elaborate vault was discovered by three teenagers on Oak Island, Nova Scotia, which was determined to have been built sometime between the 14th and 16th centuries. Author Steven Sora has been investigating both the Order and the vault for over 17 years, and The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar details his fascinating theory of where the Templar's hoard went and what is buried under Oak Island. If you enjoy real-life mystery, the intrigues of secret societies, or thoughtfully researched revisionist history, this one's for you. --P. Randall Cohan

bob

I instinctively stay well clear of anything about Freemasons or Templers as they usually turn out to involve bizarre conspiracies, these books i find are cynically written to sensationalise slender evidence into a Tabloid News Story.

Finn

Staff member
What mystery is that? Some army NCOs were having fun on the field, forgot their Inflatable Irene there, and some hours later some private p***ed on his sergeant´s behavior captured whole thing on tape while they tried to make the evidence disappear... :p :D