Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAbatula
Are there a lot of spiders in the game?
I've run into quite a bit, unfortunately. Some REALLY big ones too.

As far as the game otherwise goes, it's been quite fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but a quality product nevertheless.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #27
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Okay having played this game through to Southern Mexico, I just have to mention how incredibly frustrated I'm getting with all the glitches and technical problems. In addition to the camera issues and wall sticking I mentioned earlier, I'm experiencing frame rate issues, poor control response, and lots of similar bugs which make playing the game much more problematic than it should be. I think they have a nice concept here overall, but the technical problems make this thing really annoying. This is the only PS3 game I've played that feels like the developers rushed it to market without fixing obvious, glaring issues prior. Be warned.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #28
Dr. Wolfwood
IndyFan

Well, does it have those frustrating millisecond-timing clickety-click episodes this time? If yes, I'll pass...
Dr. Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #29
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wolfwood
Well, does it have those frustrating millisecond-timing clickety-click episodes this time? If yes, I'll pass...

Haven't run into any so far...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #30
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovitosKing
Okay having played this game through to Southern Mexico, I just have to mention how incredibly frustrated I'm getting with all the glitches and technical problems.
I heard that PS3 version is very unpolished. On PC, I got a few odd crashes while manually saving the game (could also be that I used a nodvd file so I wouldn't have to keep the disc in drive) but other than that it was a very smooth ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wolfwood
No, not a single button mashing event this time around. They do have a few "danger" moments however where the time slows down and you have few seconds (using regular game controls) to figure out how to get out of the predicament or Lara's going to perish in a rather cinematic way. But these are few and far between and never really involve much more than ducking in time or hopping on to the next ledge. A minor frustration with these sometimes however is the camera positioning (you know, to give you as dramatic angle as possible) which tends to mess up with the direction controls.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #31
Trennas
IndyFan

if there really are that many technical issues with the PS3 version, I hope they will release a patch for it soon to make the playing experience more enjoyable.. Don't know when that will happen, but I'll keep my eyes open
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #32
HovitosKing
IndyFan

There really are that many issues. And I share your sentiment, I really hope a fix is released via Playstation Network. No reason that couldn't be done.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #33
Trennas
IndyFan

it would actually be quite easy to do, at least so it seems. I have to say im quite content with the smooth and easy way that the PS3 updates the games and firmware.

I didn't have a lot of time to search for whether it has had it's first update or not; have been kinda crazy busy as of late, but i guess they haven't done so yet Makes me want to wait for the fixes even more before I buy it..

by the way; are any other PS3 owners in agreement that it's absolutely rediculous that there wasn't (and to my knowledge still isn't) a demo released through PSN?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #34
Ska
IndyFan

Yeah I agree about the demo. I'd love to get a taste of it, although I'll still buy it eventally (if I don't get it for Christmas).

I've checked just about every day in the PSN Store for a demo, but to no avail.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #35
Trennas
IndyFan

It's a real shame yes.. and it wouldn't even be so bad if I could play the demo on my PC, but well, the sucker is five years old by now and the requirements have changed significantly in that time. Not looking to upgrade or buying a new one until late next year, however, so I guess I'll just have to be patient with getting my hands on Underworld..
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #36
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
by the way; are any other PS3 owners in agreement that it's absolutely rediculous that there wasn't (and to my knowledge still isn't) a demo released through PSN?

seems like the ps3 demos are slow to arrive. for instance, dead space only just arrived as a demo about 2 weeks ago after i had already beaten it (and i didn't get around to buying it for like a month after its release). i wonder if they're working on getting the bugs out and then releasing it, or whether it's just not going the demo route at all
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #37
Trennas
IndyFan

I'm wondering the same thing.. My hope is that they are working hard to fix the bugs and then release a solid demo, but who knows; could easily be another month or so..
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 AM   #38
Finn

There aren't even not so many demos anymore, not on any platform... or at least that's how it feels. I'm a PC player through and through and can't recall any major title recently with a demo published beforehand.

Wonder if it has something to do with the increased easiness of plucking a full version off the lines too while you're at it. Illegal, sure... but technically impossible to control.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #39
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
There aren't even not so many demos anymore, not on any platform... or at least that's how it feels. I'm a PC player through and through and can't recall any major title recently with a demo published beforehand.

Wonder if it has something to do with the increased easiness of plucking a full version off the lines too while you're at it. Illegal, sure... but technically impossible to control.

PS3 and XBOX 360 have demos of many major title games that you can download from their online stores for free.
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #40
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttjones
PS3 and XBOX 360 have demos of many major title games that you can download from their online stores for free.
I didn't say that they are completely abundant... just getting more and more rare.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #41
Trennas
IndyFan

dont have an xbox 360 and my pc, well, just cant take the more recent games anymore, so i dont even bother looking for demos on those platforms. Have yet to check out the PS3 store sometime.. as soon as the internet connection works again..

maybe the reason that we see fewer demos could be that games are getting shorter and shorter development cycles, which means more pressure for the developers. this could result in:

A: not having any time to actually release a demo.
B: choosing not to release a demo because it could be riddled with bugs if not properly tested first. If I were a game developer, I would choose to rather put my efforts into making the final game as good as possible instead of spending a lot of time on preparing a demo..

Those are just my guesses.. what really goes on in game developers land.. beats me
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Well, as of today (Jan. 06) still no updates for the PS3 version, which tells me they're not worrying with it. I just read my first "tempered" review of the game in GamePro, talking about technical glitches/game inferiority and rating it 3.5/5 stars as a result. This kind of talk (as opposed to the 5/5 cool aid garbage I've read for the past couple of months in Game Informer, GamePro, and PS:TOM) would have been more useful to me prior to the game's release, but whatever. I think the developers kept the pre-release reviewers at bay for a reason
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #43
Ska
IndyFan

I got TR:U for Christmas, but have yet to play it. And I won't until I finish Uncharted.

And the glitches can't be any worse than Angel of Darkness...I still enjoyed that one (well most of it anyways).
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #44
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Started playing this 3 days ago...amazing...glitchy...but it wouldn't be a Tomb Raider game if there were none.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #45
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

The Art of 'Tomb Raider'

I'm surprised that there isn't a general purpose Tomb Raider thread on this board. And if there is, well, I can't find it. Please attach this if you're so inclined, mods.

So you've already heard about the proposed reboot (man, I hate that term) of the movie series possibly featuring Megan Fox.

There's also a ninth game in the works, but information is scarce. But like all things these days, they want to do an "origins" story. For the kids, y'know?

While browsing for current information, I did come across the rather intriguing The Art of Tomb Raider. According to the description the two-volume set contains " every significant piece of Tomb Raider art from all the games and adventures of Lara Croft."

While we keep our fingers crossed for the appearance of such an Indy collection, check out the 'official' blog here for some other samples, and check the official Dreams & Visions Press store if you'd like to order.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #46
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

Megan Fox as Lara Croft? That won't work. Lara Croft is a much older woman than what Fox is. Infact, she can barely act as it is.
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #47
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I agree that Fox sucks, but this is one of the few franchises that I think actually deserves a reboot.

The other films were just so friggin' awful and such a tragic waste of cool source material that everyone involved with them should be jailed for a period of no less than 18 months.

A "Tomb Raider" movie could have been awesome and still could be cool.

I do think the window for this movie capturing the public's attention has passed, though, and I think a new movie would struggle to find a big audience.

Still, there is potential here. My vote for Lara would be Rhona Mitra, a sexy Brit actress who actually was one of the "official" Lara live models earlier in her career.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #48
monkey

The Tomb Raider movies were indeed a great disappointment.

There is (was) so much potential.

Just as with Indiana Jones............Hollywood has destroyed a great character.

How to ressurect the character?

Not sure.........but surely Hollywood can not.

Just my humble opinion.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #49
Ska
IndyFan

Oh no. I don't like the 3rd concept art picture in the link you posted about the next Tomb Raider game. That looks like something for a videogame adaptation of The Ring, not Tomb Raider.

But Eidos and Crystal Dynamics has somewhat regained my faith with the last few adventures of Lara Croft, so I'll give them a chance.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #50
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Milla Jovovich or Kate Beckinsale for Lara.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote