TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #51
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
I do think the window for this movie capturing the public's attention has passed, though, and I think a new movie would struggle to find a big audience.

I don't think the window is closed yet. Closing maybe, but not quite closed. And I base this on the fact that there seems to be something of a resurgence in the genre; every year now, there seems to be a big addition to the canon. The relative merits of each can be debated ad nauseum, but the general audience is seeing more and more "action-adventure" out there. If the oft talked about Uncharted movie blows up the box office, expect several other companies to reach for a piece of that pie. This includes Indy & Ms. Croft.

But in order to truly capture the audience's attention should the movie come out, they're going to have to invest more time in making Lara more of a 'character,' and less of a 'personality.' Story is going to be especially important, too. No more paper thin plots serving as an excuse for a travelogue.

re: Rhona Mitra. She was the first of the Croft models. Each subsequent model seems to have lost that certain something, and I have a hard time believing they'd ever get dirty. Ms. Mitra could work, but I'd still prefer to see Ms. Jolie reprise the role, or Eva Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Oh no. I don't like the 3rd concept art picture in the link you posted about the next Tomb Raider game. That looks like something for a video game adaptation of The Ring, not Tomb Raider.

Agreed. It looks like they're trying to cross "survival-horror" with "action-adventure," and I don't know how well they're going to pull that off. It sort of feels like they're pandering to the current undead craze, but there's a while to go before the game comes out. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
The Tomb Raider movies were indeed a great disappointment.

Nice to see you around.

And if anybody is curious, it appears that 'The Art of Tomb Raider' appears to be limited to two-thousand copies worldwide. I'll attempt to post a couple of scans once my copy arrives.



And apparently, the City of Derby UK, has named a street after Ms. Croft.


Last edited by Le Saboteur : 02-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #52
Ska
IndyFan
 
Ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,438
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074208p1.html

New Tomb Raider Announced
Lara Croft goes download only for The Guardian of Light.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, March 4, 2010 - Tomb Raider is returning for an all-new adventure, its voluptuous icon returning for Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, a download-only title coming to unspecified platforms in 2010.

Crystal Dynamics return on the development duties, and General Manager Darrell Gallagher sounded suitably excited by the news. "This is a really exciting project for Crystal Dynamics, we have created something completely new and very different to what people might be expecting" he said whilst backflipping and shooting a tiger.

Lara's last outing and indeed her first proper adventure on the current generation was Tomb Raider Underworld, a game we rather liked and awarded an 8.5.

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light is being shown at next week's GDC in San Francisco, so expect more news soon.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #53
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light is being shown at next week's GDC in San Francisco, so expect more news soon. [/i]

I may have to stop by and see what I can.



Coin operated 80's arcade goodness, or a cheap ploy to get an extra fifty bucks out of the gaming public? Gamespot has a write-up on their site, with a couple of pictures.

Full site can be found here. While you can only currently register for the newsletter, I expect the site to be fully functional after the GDC.

Mods: Since this discussion quickly veered away from the art book, can we re-title the thread "Tomb Raider: The Series"?
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
Ska
IndyFan
 
Ska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,438


I don't think my heart can stand killing any more spiders (after Underworld).

This is why I enjoy Uncharted. You don't have to deal with these 8 legged disgusting bastards. *shivers*
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #55
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
I don't think my heart can stand killing any more spiders (after Underworld).

The killing of animals in Tomb Raider got old after Part Deux. Which is part of the reason why The Last Revelation is my favourite entry in the series. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will continue with the story driven nature, and diversify the combat.

Full disclosure: I never did play Underworld, and Anniversary has been neglected since I got my PS3. I'll have to fire it up and give the PS3 a break (but Brutal Legend is so-o fun!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
This is why I enjoy Uncharted. You don't have to deal with these 8 legged disgusting bastards. *shivers*

Surely you enjoy it for more than that! If there's one thing I really enjoy about the new direction Crystal Dynamics took the series in, it's the re-design of Ms. Croft. While still a gun-toting sociopath, Ms. Croft at least looks like a real woman. Gone is that ridiculous top-heavy model. It's almost like they drew direct inspiration from Michael Turner's interpretation in the original comic book run.



For those of you that have some time on their hands, the publisher has a 5-minute preview of what the books actually contain. And they look great. If you watch it in 1080p, you can read the text!

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #56
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,923
First trailer!



Looks intriguing in my opinion, part Diablo & part Uncharted. Either way, it's going to be one more nail in Indy's coffin.

The art book is now in stock as well. Do your part and go order!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #57
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Nice trailer. I like the Indiana Jones/ Pirates of the Caribbean-esque soundtrack.

Hopefully movie won't feature Megan Fox as Lara Croft. That would be a disaster like none other. I pray they find a better actress. Karima Adebibe would be good, however this is an origin story aimed at drawing in a younger audience (isn't a thing wrong with that) and they will need a younger actress. I would not mind if they chose Kristen Stewart or Michelle Rodriguez.

I don't really want to think of this a "reboot" but rather and resurrection of what could have been a good movie franchise if they had not RUINED it in the beginning.

Last edited by RedeemedChild : 05-25-2010 at 07:41 AM.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #58
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
I'm very much impressed with the direction that Dan Lin (Terminator: Salvation) and Karl Stewart (Crystal Dynamics) want to take the Tomb Raider franchise in.

I think the origin story idea will work. We've seen that the "origin" theme worked with the animated television series Wolverine and the X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and now in George Lucas's Star Wars The Clone Wars television series which attempts to give us the origins of Yoda, Aalya Secura and General Grievous and now Disney is trying it out with the Prince of Persia.

I only hope that Eidos/ Crystal Dynamics will seriously consider bringing these new "Lara Croft" games the SONY PSP2 and Nintendo 3DS instead of only to the PC, XBOX 360 and PS3 and most especially to hardcopy (physical) software instead of to a virtual Application Store.

Below is link to more information on the upcoming game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6263139.html
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #59
emtiem
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
Nice trailer. I like the Indiana Jones/ Pirates of the Caribbean-esque soundtrack.

Hopefully movie won't feature Megan Fox as Lara Croft. That would be a disaster like none other. I pray they find a better actress. Karima Adebibe would be good, however this is an origin story aimed at drawing in a younger audience (isn't a thing wrong with that) and they will need a younger actress. I would not mind if they chose Kristen Stewart or Michelle Rodriguez.

I don't really want to think of this a "reboot" but rather and resurrection of what could have been a good movie franchise if they had not RUINED it in the beginning.

It'd be nice if they could get an actual Brit to play her. Could do worse than the actor who supplies her voice: Keeley Hawes. Yum.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #60
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,923
On the off chance you've missed it, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is currently available to download from the Playstation Network and X-Box Live Arcade.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
The game will apparently be an origin story set on a Japanese island and featuring a younger, less experienced Lara Croft exploring the isle's jungles. It will reportedly be an open-world title, allowing the young heroine to overcome puzzles and obstacles via a variety of methods. The game is also apparently in development for the PC, PS3, and 360 and is set for a late 2011 release. No developer was named, even though the franchise has been at San Francisco Bay Area shop Crystal Dynamics since 2004
.

In other news, Gamespot has picked up the idea that the next iteration of Tomb Raider may end up being a sandbox-like game in the manner of Batman: Arkham Asylum & Red Dead Redemption. No real information has been forth coming, but the folks at Crystal Dynamics mentioned at the last E3 that they had split the team -- one to work on Guardian of Light, and one to work on the next full-fledged Tomb Raider game.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #61
Indy's brother
IndyFan
 
Indy's brother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the Map Room playing with a laser pointer
Posts: 3,029
The top down view was great for the baldur's gate games, where the character didn't really need to be developed to enjoy the game. But with a charismatic video game icon like Lara, this approach seems like a step back to me. The sand-box/open world approach would be pretty awesome, you can count me in for that. An Indy game like that would also be an fantastic approach, but I might as well hope for [insert ridiculously unobtainable wish].
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #62
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
The top down view was great for the baldur's gate games, where the character didn't really need to be developed to enjoy the game. But with a charismatic video game icon like Lara, this approach seems like a step back to me. The sand-box/open world approach would be pretty awesome, you can count me in for that. An Indy game like that would also be an fantastic approach, but I might as well hope for [insert ridiculously unobtainable wish].

Top down view games never drawn me in. Ideally I like an immersive first person view, which Tomb Raider mimicked in third person by being right behind Lara, so you get the bost of both views (the immersive world and Lara's butt!)

I also agree on open-world games. I love the freedom to roam across land or cityscapes - go anywhere, do anything in the Gun or Grand Theft Auto Vice City/SanAndreas style. So putting Lara into a world like that with a combination of first and third person view options would be a pretty near perfect game for me.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #63
DiscoLad
IndyFan
 
DiscoLad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: An abandoned disco hall in Good Ol' Loosiana.
Posts: 1,103
Eh I heard she used to be a man...That Megan Fox...
I could believe it...
DiscoLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #64
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,131
Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Reborn

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/06/to...game-informer/

Quote:
As we theorized last month, the January issue of Game Informer will, indeed, be showing off the latest iteration in the Tomb Raider series called, simply, Tomb Raider. Details are scarce, but we know it features Lara's first adventure in which she must struggle to stay alive (hence "A Survivor is Born," the tag line used to tease the release). You can see the rough-looking Lara after the break.

Though Darrell Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics, says we should "forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider" and that this is "an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other," it's not clear if this is a relaunch or just an origin story that takes place in the series' already pretty convoluted time line. Heck, we don't even know platforms, though PC, PS3 and 360 seem like safe bets. Soon as we all get our hands on the new GI, we'll hopefully all know much more.

As for the new, stripped down title, Gallagher said "We know there is a blog that has a significant games database that relies on individual tags for each game title, and we like making things hard on them." ... OK, he didn't say that. But you know he was thinking it.
http://media1.gameinformer.com/image...11_cover_b.jpg

Any fans? This seems very promising.

Last edited by Moedred : 12-06-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: picture too wide
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #65
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,917
Certainly looking forward to the details. Especially the cup size.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #66
indyjones2131
IndyFan
 
indyjones2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 333
New Tomb Raider Game - Might Indy follow?

Details of the new Tomb Raider game have been released today. Sounds like a pretty big overhaul and sounds great!

Hopefully Lucasarts will learn a thing or two and follow suit...

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #67
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,617
More details here:

http://www.tr-reborn.net/news/

With a film:

Tomb Raider Reborn BETA Demonstration from Tom on Vimeo.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #68
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
Details of the new Tomb Raider game have been released today. Sounds like a pretty big overhaul and sounds great!

Hopefully Lucasarts will learn a thing or two and follow suit...

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.
Do you have a link for this stuff, not questioning it of course, would just like to know!
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #69
indyjones2131
IndyFan
 
indyjones2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 333
Info came from Neo Gaf. Just a forum post, but it has since been verified by others (and scans) which I don't have but wish I did...
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #70
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan
 
Nurhachi1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pankot Palace
Posts: 4,771
I read the article and i could care less about it...


I love how they can reboot a female clone of Indiana Jones


but they cant %%*$% give Indy the man that started all these genres his own next gen game... that is just sicking
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #71
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
but they cant %%*$% give Indy the man that started all these genres his own next gen game... that is just sicking

I've read this earlier and I must say the whole concept seems very interesting. Also, Nurch, thank LucasArts for that.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #72
indyjones2131
IndyFan
 
indyjones2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 333
Where'd you see the article??

I think the game sounds great. Really hope it comes together well.
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #73
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I've read this earlier and I must say the whole concept seems very interesting.

Yeah. And while I've got no history with Tomb Raider, these innovations are good for the adventure genre in games. Could bode well, if not for anything Indy-based in the future, than for something Indy-influenced.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #74
michael
IndyFan
 
michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Posts: 1,131
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/07/to...-brutal-death/

Quote:
Tomb Raider details emerge, features open world and brutal deaths

Survival is the name of the game for Lara Croft's next virtual excursion -- well, the name of the game is actually Tomb Raider, but, you know -- and a few details from the January issue of Game Informer (which already found its way onto the info-hungry internets) have revealed exactly how said survival story will unfold.

As hinted by yesterday's startling cover reveal, the game will not only be a reboot of the franchise, but a reboot of the Tomb Raider brand. Rather than being a heavily scripted third-person action game, the new title will allow for open-world exploration, giving a fresh-faced, 21-year-old Lara new areas to traverse as she upgrades her own exploratory abilities and finds (or crafts) new equipment and survival tools. Crystal Dynamics didn't give any specifics on these tools, but we're pretty sure Knife plus Stick is going to equal a thing with which you can kill things.

As one might expect, the game's survivalist objective sets a grim tone -- Lara will have to forage for food and water to stay alive. She'll also have to avoid the traps and violent inhabitants strewn across the game's island setting, which, according to the article, are capable of dispatching Lara in extremely brutal ways. Like, ways that make the Tomb Raider 2 "Blow Lara Up" code seem like a minor papercut. Keep an eye out for the January issue of Game Informer for even more details about this interesting adventure.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #75
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Yeah. And while I've got no history with Tomb Raider, these innovations are good for the adventure genre in games. Could bode well, if not for anything Indy-based in the future, than for something Indy-influenced.

I agree.
With the reboot of Tomb Raider and the success that was Uncharted 2. I believe there may be a rise of action/adventure games in the future. Maybe this will eventually spawn a new Indy-related game? Both games are influenced heavily from our favorite adventurer.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.